BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Left back

Alan75

Who is Rovers best left back, nominations please so that den can sort out a poll.

I'll kick off with some names.

Bill Eckersley 1947 - 1961 432 appearances

Walter Crook 1931 - 1947 350 app

John Bailey 1975 - 1979 139 app

Le Saux 1993 - 1997 151 app

Callum Davidson 1998 - 2000 73 app correction

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill (Telescopic Leg) Eckersley for me.

Bill had a long run as England left back despite playing for a 2nd division team (Rovers).

Extremely loyal (He could have had his pick of the 1st division teams but chose to stick with Rovers) and was way before his time with his ability to dribble all the way up to the opposition penalty area. Superb ball control and his party piece was that if a player went past him he could extend his left leg behind him and nick the ball away, clean as a whistle, leaving the other player looking around him wondering where the hell the ball had gone. This earned him the 'telescopic leg' tag.

Very entertaining to watch and a dependable full back.

Has my vote every time.

Bill (Telescopic Leg) Eckersley for me.

Bill had a long run as England left back despite playing for a 2nd division team (Rovers).

Extremely loyal (He could have had his pick of the 1st division teams but chose to stick with Rovers) and was way before his time with his ability to dribble all the way up to the opposition penalty area. Superb ball control and his party piece was that if a player went past him he could extend his left leg behind him and nick the ball away, clean as a whistle, leaving the other player looking around him wondering where the hell the ball had gone. This earned him the 'telescopic leg' tag.

Very entertaining to watch and a dependable full back.

Has my vote every time.

Bill should win this by a mile.

John Bailey was a very big favourite of mine and I never did understand why or how he disappeared as a great full back fter the transfer to Everton.

Sauxy was undoubtedly the best left bck I have seen wearing the Rovers shirt but I guess Eckersley will shade it. So many people told me such great stories about him- again an incredibly loyal servant of the club.

Any great left backs before Eckersley?

John Bailey was a very big favourite of mine and I never did understand why or how he disappeared as a great full back fter the transfer to Everton.

Sauxy was undoubtedly the best left bck I have seen wearing the Rovers shirt but I guess Eckersley will shade it. So many people told me such great stories about him- again an incredibly loyal servant of the club.

Any great left backs before Eckersley?

Is there any footage of the great man?