BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Right wing

MCMC1875

The size of the vote for Ripley is ludicrous. Fifty years from now, people will wonder who he was.

If people in 50 years time aren't acknowledging the players that won us our only ever Premiership title (baring a miracle) then they will be far more ignorant than anyone who is voting for him now.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LeChuck

I think ones forgot already, at least I don't remember much about him Richard Witschge.

he was a strange transfer, I saw him play for netherland schools at ewood years ago, and he ripped england schools apart that night. then he came and did precisely f*** all for us..

to be fair Ripley was bloody great, when he was fully fit, he was on fire before he pulled his hamstring playing for england..

I think Ripley's vote is being driven up by the petty comments belittling both him as a player and the arguments put forward previously to advance his case. Such an attitude should be totally unneccessary, Douglas should be able to win this vote by a street without a minority of his supporters resorting to such tactics, they are demeaning to the man's character.

Vote Bryan Douglas, he's one of, if not the, greatest player(s) in Rovers history. Don't be put off by small-minded people who can't put forward a well-argued case for him and so resort to slagging off his opponents.

Ripley was as limited player as Beckham, could put a decent cross in, had pace, that was it. Even Bob Mortimer (Boro fan) reckons he was crap.

Whereas, from what I can tell, Douglas could actually play a bit with the ball at his feet. Would he have pushed the ball too far ahead to chase and then pulled a hamstring trying to catch up? How many World Cups did Ripley play in?

huh.gif

Ripley was as limited player as Beckham, could put a decent cross in, had pace, that was it. Even Bob Mortimer (Boro fan) reckons he was crap.

Whereas, from what I can tell, Douglas could actually play a bit with the ball at his feet. Would he have pushed the ball too far ahead to chase and then pulled a hamstring trying to catch up? How many World Cups did Ripley play in?

huh.gif

so if he was as limited as Beckham, how come Ripley HAD pace, Becks dont, Ripley could skin a player, Becks cant. Oh... and Ripley cant and never could take a decent free-kick

good comparison bryan..... not

Den - that FA cup game against west ham was the first away game i had ever been to..............i know i messed up my memories of the passed penalty but i think the 3-3 draw was a year or 2 later than 63. Either way i remember the atmosphere of that game and the replay at ewood as being fantastic. The west ham fans i was stood next to (must not have been segregated then) were brilliant. i went to the 5th round too .....norwich 2-2 (God i hope ive got it right this time.)

By the way, its a pity that we have to slag off great servants like ripley in an attempt to champion the cause of some other contender.

Den - that FA cup game against west ham was the first away game i had ever been to..............i know i messed up my memories of the passed penalty but i think the 3-3 draw was a year or 2 later than 63. Either way i remember the atmosphere of that game and the replay at ewood as being fantastic. The west ham fans i was stood next to (must not have been segregated then) were brilliant. i went to the 5th round too .....norwich 2-2 (God i hope ive got it right this time.)

By the way, its a pity that we have to slag off great servants like ripley in an attempt to champion the cause of some other contender.

I'm not certain about the year, Tonyoz. You could be right. Norwich - I went to that one. Caught the Cliff Owen's coach from Chorley about half past six in the morning. Don't think there were any motorways then.

2-2, spot on. Lots of trouble on and off the pitch. Rovers fans caused trouble around the town centre and rovers refused to have the same ref for the replay.

Oh, happy days!

whats the point even discussing this one? Douglas retired long before I was born but along with Crompton he has to be in the side on legend alone. Ripley was a great part of '95 but that's not enough, so was Atko and there's no way he's going to get in the team is there?

now left wing - that's a better discussion...

Just voted for Douglas. He has twice as many as Ripley, which is understandable. The old fellas may complain about the number of votes he has but lots of fans remember him and not Douglas.

Ripley did a great job for Dalglish and Harford's teams, it required very hardworking wingers who put crosses in, he and Wilcox did that. He is a very good player who we would love to have today but not in the same league as Douglas. The Bob Mortimer endorsement for a crap Ripley is a good one; a comedian's opinion is now gospel. Tripe.

What I can't understand is the people who voted for Emerton, Thompson, and Donis. Are these people taking the mick? If so it undermines the vote. Maybe in 10 years if Emerton stays and becomes a world wonder he may have a chance but not now. Thompson has been on crutches for the majority of his Ewood career and Donis scored a wonder goal then cleared off.

What I can't understand is the people who voted for Emerton, Thompson, and Donis. Are these people taking the mick?

I think so. smile.gif Thankfully most people are prepared to give a little input to the topic, while others presumably, just want to destroy.

We'll cope. smile.gif

Why is Donis even an option ?

He was dreadful as they come.

Will Shepstone and Hildersley be on the list for central midfielders ?

We're allowed 15 options on a poll, I could think of exactly 15 wingers, so not being a believer in censorship, [gulp] decided to let 'em all have a chance.

Im another who wanted to vote Ripley but have decided to vote for Douglas.

Just because i never saw him play doesnt mean i can ignore his history with us.

Sounds an excellent player wish i had the chance to see him play.

by the way - when does Ronnie Clayton get a look in? I thought he played right back/winger?

Err, it's called right half in old money.

Presumably he will be competing for a place in "midfield" with such all-times greats as Sherwood and Batty.

by the way - when does Ronnie Clayton get a look in? I thought he played right back/winger?

Err, it's called right half in old money.

Presumably he will be competing for a place in "midfield" with such all-times greats as Sherwood and Batty.

Not many Blackburn midfielders can claim they have led their club to the ultimate glory !

Not many Blackburn midfielders can claim they have led their club to the ultimate glory !

And not many Rovers right halves have made 579 appearances for their only league club (2 as substitute), scoring 15 goals, and won 35 England caps, five of them as captain.

No contest really. But that's for another day.

Pleased to see Duggie winning but sad that Fergie has only one vote. Ripley was not in the same class.

And not many Rovers right halves have made 579 appearances for their only league club (2 as substitute), scoring 15 goals, and won 35 England caps, five of them as captain.

No contest really. But that's for another day.

Pleased to see Duggie winning but sad that Fergie has only one vote. Ripley was not in the same class.

I was only kidding Jim, my Dad has bored the arse off me adout Duggie throughout my early years. I also played cricket with his son Steven for 15 years.

Obviously the Ronnie Clayton stories weren't far behind.

Believe me I know everything I could without actually seeing Duggie and Ronnie play !