SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

First central midfielder

toogs

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Ferguson hasn't achieved anything with Blackburn of note. As there's so much quality he probably wouldn't make the final 15.

One player who should be considered for the shortlist (although he's not really in the best ever category) is Flitcroft. He's been around for a long time and before the last few seasons was pretty consistent in midfield.

Andy McEvoy was a wing half origianlly, but then moved to striker, where he really made his name. I've got him down as a striker Alan.

BTW - no-one REALLY believes Atkins was one of our best ever midfielders, do they? ohmy.gif

The one that stands out head and shoulders above anyone else is of course the ledgendary Ronnie Clayton and I will put something together about him when I have a bit more time.

There are two of the nominees however that I believe should be classified as strikers. Although nominally inside forwards both Peter Dobing and Roy Vernon were really out and out attackers and excellent ones at that. In fact my best ever pairing would be Shearer and Vernon, but that is for another day.

Interesting Al. I didn't see either Vernon or Dobing, but do know that supporters that did see them, held them in very high regard. I will put them in the striker catageory as well. Thanks.

I don't think we'll rush this one. There are far more depressing matters being given full attention on the board. smile.gif

Edited by den

If wingers don't count as midfielders, does that mean we're playing 4-2-4?

If I remember rightly, Eddie Latheron was an inside half, which I think makes him a central midfielder (I know you've included him Den).

From what I can remember reading about him, he was head and shoulders above players like Batty (even if he did come from a different era, he was killed in action in WW1).

This is going to be a tricky one for me to vote on. Whilst I know a bit about Clayton as a player, the only other players I recognise in the list are from my lifetime (e.g. the last 18 years), so I look forward to hearing from some of the other members of the forum putting forward their cases for the players I know little about smile.gif

There are two players in the list that stand out amongst the rest.......

Ronnie Clayton and Eddie Latheron.I have a feeling Clayton will win this but Latheron should be given special consideration I feel........

Edwin Gladstone Latheron was born in Grangetown,North East England and joined Blackburn Rovers in 1906 almost by accident.He was discovered when visiting Blackburn to play for Grangetown against Blackburn Crosshill in an FA amatuer cup tie.Rovers had originally gone to watch another player but it was Latheron who caught their eye and Rovers paid £25 to bring him to Ewood!

A skilful inside forward who,despite his lack of height, was good in the air he possessed fantastic ball control coupled with a fine shot on him.... he quickly established himself as a fans favourite with the Blackburn public.A prolific goalscorer himself, he was claimed never to be a selfish player and always prepared to do the 'fetching and carrying' for other team mates.

Without question a driving force(alongside Crompton) behind the all conquering pre war Rovers Championship sides of 1912 and 1914 he was capped twice by England and represented the football League.

At the height of his powers Eddie played his last game for Rovers on March 17th 1917.Five days later he went to fight for Queen and Country in the trenches of France and tragically just seven months later he was killed by a German shell.He left a widow and a young child.....he was just 28.

Played league football for Rovers between 1906-1915, made a total of 282 appearances in all competitions and scored an impressive 104 goals.

http://www.cottontown.org/Nimoi/sites/CT/r...ces/jb08178.jpg

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...asualty=4032402

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Even I am far too young to have seen Eddie Latheron and even my Dad, who still goes to every home match, says he can't remember him.

However both my Grandads, who sadly are now deceased, used to rave about him. From what they said he was a genuine box to box midfielder who would tackle, pick the ball up in defence and bring it tirelessly forward to give it to a forward or have a go at goal himself. Apparently he had a good goalscoring record in his own right.

All hearsay I'm afraid but it's the best I can do lads and lasses.

Scott Sellars

Left winger?

Scott Sellars was definitely first and foremost a left winger for Rovers unless my memory is playing tricks on me. As for Ferguson...I can't see why on earth he should be within a country mile of our fifteen greatest ever central midfielders. In fact our current manager did more for the club as a central midielder in one game at Cardiff in 2002 then Ferguson has so far done for Rovers. Then again, if George Donis made the shortlist for greatest ever right midfielder I suppose anything can happen.

Interesting to see that in the right midfielder poll that John Connelly didn't receive a single vote. While he was well before my time I'd have thought that a player who was good enough to make the 1966 World Cup squad (albeit while with Man Utd) would at least get a couple of votes.

Scott Sellars

Left winger?

Scott Sellars was definitely first and foremost a left winger for Rovers unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

When Scott was signed in '86 - incidentally, for a ridiculously low fee of 25 thousand pounds. Well done Bob Saxton - he played initially as a central midfielder alongside the excellent Simon Barker. The wing positions were taken by Brotherston, Mark Patterson and, on the right hand side, Ian Miller. I have a feeling that he did drift further out to the touchline though when Branagan or Ainscow were drafted in.

Ronnie Clayton is a must in my book. He and Douglas were genuine class. As for the other position I've no idea yet. I've seen Simon Barker onwards so I can vouch for them. I remember Scott Sellars as a left winger, really tricky but then got a terrible groin injury and was never the same again. I honeslty believe that if that never happened he would have played for England, but that is for the left wing debate.

Old Latheron pulls at the heartstrings, but no-one will have any idea how he played. How many of todays millionaire footballers would go to war? He will get a lot of sympathy votes.

Atko was never the greatest, don't forget his pre-Dalglish awfulness.

Sherwood and Batty were both very good with Batty getting the nod. Batty had a bad injury that kept him out for over a year, something which hindered him.

Can Paul Warhurst be added? He won't win, but when he first signed he was ace, then he broke his leg.

Nicky Marker deserves a mention as does Nicky "the animal" Reid.

I think I'll go for Clayton and Sherwood. However, Clayton seemed to belong in the back line to me - in a Bobby Moore type role. Sherwood wasn't quick but I admired his drive, his perseverance. I feel sad he didn't win many England caps - did he win any? Yes, I echo what others have said about Dobing - I think he belongs in the forwad line, and a class player.

The sad this about this exercise is seeing players you admired getting little recognition - hardly any votes for Mike Ferguson and Matt Woods, oh dear dear.

Sellars and McKenzie for me tinykit.gif

Sellars was definately a left winger for most of his time with Rovers and wasn't McKenzie a forward?

Clayton is a shoe-in for me but the other one is difficult. Looking forward to hearing from the old giffers on this one.

Correct on both counts Scotty.

Sellars was a wonderful left winger and it will be a tough decsion for me to choose between him and Duff.

McKenzie - centre forward, no question.

I can't call my son Sherwood and not select him for this side can I ?

The sad this about this exercise is seeing players you admired getting little recognition - hardly any votes for Mike Ferguson and Matt Woods, oh dear dear.

I'm sure, if we could have had first, second and third choices, they would have had.