BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

Whilst watching the games over here on saturday the hosts were mentioning the aussie players that were involved in games being played. Graeme Arnold (AUS assistant manager) mentioned Lucas Neill - instead of talking about the game though, he went on to say that when Lucas was over here for the recent friendlies that he told him that Newcastle were interested in him for next year. Anyone else heard anything on this??

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Newcastle have been rumoured to be interested in him for years, so its no surprise that with Souness in charge they will begin once again.

At the beginning of this season, Neil admitted to Robbie Slater on Foxports in Australia that Souness had effectively lost the dressing room. Having witnessed the rise and fall of Souness whilst at Blackburn, I'm not entirely sure that Neil would want to sign up for another ride of that rollercoaster.

Have to agree with you there PG. With Newcastle's dressing room in shambles at the moment, a complete prick as manager, and another as Chairman who the hell would want to go to Newcastle. Neill has seen first-hand how crap a manager Souness is and will hopefully avoid him like Souness avoids diplomacy.

If Souness goes in for him, the money will do the talking- wages for Neill, silly money for the Rovers.

If Boumsong = £8m, Lucas = £?m.

I would get a pet hack to start talking big numbers if I were JW/Sparky to get Fat Freddie acclimatised. A straight Neill/Bellamy swap? Why not be cheeky.

He is good but there are better RBs out there.

A good friend of mine went to watch an Accy Stanley game a couple of months back when he got chatting to Lucas, Stead and Steven Reid (strange, I know!).

Neill was extremely anti-Souness- his training methods, general attitude and the dire quality of his backroom staff, he said that apart from Brad, Amo and Ferguson he couldnt see any of our players EVER playing for him again.

All problems the fans were well aware of, but to hear a player confirm this shows how unstable the club was in the final stages of the Souness era.

Where are these better right backs? Of his age and that we could afford? Oh and who would come to our club? I can't think of one who meets all of those criteria. He may have some faults, and has for quite a while been playing poorly, but over the last few months his form has picked up and he is the player we once knew, a quality right back.

Steven Carr!!! Are you mad.

No, I was displaying a little humour. The gist of it is why would Newcastle want Neill when they already have Carr. Then again, we all know Souness ewnjoyed the odd strange move in the transfer market.

Where are these better right backs? Of his age and that we could afford? Oh and who would come to our club? I can't think of one who meets all of those criteria. He may have some faults, and has for quite a while been playing poorly, but over the last few months his form has picked up and he is the player we once knew, a quality right back.

Mark Delaney.

Mark Delaney.

No thanks. We'd never get him anyway. Not without offering a highly inflated price, and I have to say I'd rather have Neill.

Mark Delaney.

No thanks. We'd never get him anyway. Not without offering a highly inflated price, and I have to say I'd rather have Neill.

Currently in a contract dispute with Villa and has the almost obligatory Welsh links.

I'd be very surprised if we're not interested.

That said, I would prefer Cafu wink.gif

Yes but isn't the dispute because he wants a new long term contract but the club have a year option so are unwilling to give it as they see no point? That doesn't exactly force them to sell.

No, but if a player doesn't get what he wants he becomes an unhappy player. Clubs don't keep unhappy players (ie - Barry Ferguson) and the usual outcome is a parting of the ways.

A big difference here is that the time left on his contract is short meaning that he would be relatively cheap.

I know it isn't really very important nowadays but on several occasions players like Thompson and Neill have been referred to as the comical characters of the team and who keep the dressing room lively. Seems a shame to rid the team of the nicer chracters.

Then again, Neill is quite an awful right back.

I know it isn't really very important nowadays but on several occasions players like Thompson and Neill have been referred to as the comical characters of the team and who keep the dressing room lively. Seems a shame to rid the team of the nicer chracters.

Then again, Neill is quite an awful right back.

God alone knows what you consider a good right back.

LDRover, all they need to do is take the year option, that would mean his contract ends quite far from now and we are back to having to make a high bid. Anyway I'm going to just stop participating in this, Neill is the scapegoat for many, if he is so poor why do we currently have one of the best defences in the league, a defence that he has been everpresent in?

No problem with Lucas, Eddie, I don't think he's a bad player and he's not a great player, just average.

But as a colleague pointed out to me this morning, when England have Danny Mills as 2nd choice at right back it goes to show how few real quality players there are in that position.

"I'm really enjoying it and if I got asked to sign another extension I would," said Lucas Neill.

Check the last paragraph of this article.

EDIT: It is hardly big news, but it seems he is not very interested in a Newcastle move if he can stay at Blackburn, which might suggest that Souness is not a very attractive management option.

Edited by James No. 7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.