SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Sky sports today

"At no stage did the issue of money enter into the footballing decision I was making," he said.

"Yes, I want to be secure, like everyone, but more importantly I want to know that I am going to be content, happy and playing football every week.

"Some of the figures that have been mentioned are just ridiculous and the whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Anyone who thinks I joined West Ham simply for money is way off the mark.

"People have questioned why I signed for West Ham and not Liverpool but I don't understand that.

"Yes, Liverpool is a great club with a fantastic history but, equally, West Ham have produced people like Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Trevor Brooking and Billy Bonds over the years. If West Ham was good enough for those guys, then it's good enough for me.

"If people want to insult my decision to play for West Ham, then they are insulting some of the greatest players the game has produced, including the three men who led England to the World Cup in 1966."

Thats a load of crap lucash, you are insulting some of the greatest players in the game that have been produced and played for the Rovers, you left for money, plain and simple, LIVE WITH IT!!!

I really don't care any more.

Lucas isn't a Rover now.

Thanks, Lucas, it's been an interesting few years. Best of luck with West Ham and for the future.

Ta-ta.

Things to do, places to go, etc etc

My sentiments exactly.his heart was no longer with Rovers, so it was best to get a deal that served the interests of Blackburn Rovers Football Club,rather than lose him for nothing in the summer.Now we have to get behind the players who do have their heart with Rovers.Warnock, Dunny etc.Overall, Sparkys done well ,and handled things well.

I'm a bit miffed with Lucas, but i won't boo him, for services rendered,good luck...

They wanted to screw MH over the transfer fee... and having tried to pull a fast one that would have given them extra money to entice Neill with wages, offered him what I consider would be a comparatively (to the rest of the Liverpool back line) measly 30k a week.

Liverpool don't offer high wages to many players. Bellamy for example was offered a very high wage here and picked to move to liverpool at £35k. Liverpool Clearly defined their position to Neill and he picked the extra money over playing for a bigger club. There isn't anything wrong with that if that is the type of person you are.

You can't blame a club for trying to get a cheap deal on the player either, not that i actually like liverpool as a club.

West Ham have produced people like Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Trevor Brooking and Billy Bonds over the years. If West Ham was good enough for those guys, then it's good enough for me.

Rather different to the "No chance of signing for West Ham," which Lucas apparently told Brownie....

"If people want to insult my decision to play for West Ham....

No Lucas, you are insulting me and insulting other people's intelligence with the feeble excuses you've given for your avaricious greed.

Why not tell the truth Lucas? You're moving to West Ham, not for footballing reasons, but to earn yourself a fatter pay packet. You epitomise the culture of greed within football which is turning decent people away from the game. You are spitting in the face of the supporters who fork out money for tickets to help pay for your vast wages.

This quote from Neill today is worth repeating:

"This is not a backward step - it’s a huge forward step, and that’s not meant with any disrespect to Blackburn. I had five and a half fantastic years there, but the lure of coming here was too strong."

Now rearrange the following sentence:

all goes remaining respect the window out of

I don't blame Lucas for going - only for the lies and self deception. We wouldn't like his going to West Ham any more if he'd told it like it is, "I'm going for the huge wages," but we might have respected him a little more for telling the truth. As it is he just digs himself a deeper hole. And as for the fact that West Ham appeared to want him more well, of course they do. They're desperate and Liverpool are not. They may not have the best team in the land but they aren't the ones in 18th place either. If he can't see that or won't admit it to himself then he's got less brain than I credited him with.

Neills gone for money! No doubtabout that and no doubt that that was his intention from the start. Just like Mr McNulty would go to ITV if they offered to double his salary from the beeb!

I really find it odd that people appear suprised / antagonised / embittered by all this. Are people not capable of logical and rational thought processes nowadays? :huh:

Neil is just after one thing and that is money, to turn down a chance to play champions league football, just proves this and i am glad we have got rid of the greedy money grabber and now have a proper loyal and more commited captain with Robbie Savage

Good grief! Dunno if there is one but if so that must take the 'most stupid post of the year' award hands down.

Congratulations gazsimm, being so stupid cannot be easy! ;)

What surprises me about this whole saga is how quick a lot of Rovers supporters have been to criticise Neill for choosing West Ham over Liverpool, whilst totally missing Liverpool's sheer arrogance in the whole thing.

They wanted to screw MH over the transfer fee... and having tried to pull a fast one that would have given them extra money to entice Neill with wages, offered him what I consider would be a comparatively (to the rest of the Liverpool back line) measly 30k a week.

Anyone care to speculate how much Liverpool would have offered if Lucas had been playing for one of the media darlings?

I go along with that Shaddy. Coming after their steal of Bellamy I think they are guilty of arrogance and deceipt. I know it's business and all's fair in love and war but the sooner somebody whips Gerrard away under similar circumstances the better! I would just love to see him walk away for nowt!

Edited by thenodrog

"Moving to West Ham isn't a backwards step - it's a great jump forwards" - Lucas Neill

Cheeky so and so.

Let's be fair with Lucas, that wasn't the entire quote, he did follow that by saying:

"Put your hands on your hips, and bring your knees in tight. It's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane, let's do the time warp again."

He also said something about being a sweet transvestite, but I didn't quite catch that.

Edited by Billy Castell

I can’t believe how many of you haven’t got a good word to say for Lucas Neill.

Fancy booing the captain of Blackburn Rovers for several games. Shame on you!

Who do you think you are; Burnley supporters?

Lucas has been a good servant for us. He’s never let us down. He’s always played like a true professional even in the latter days. Mark Hughes knew this and trusted Lucas as captain. And I trust Sparky’s judgement.

Does it really matter where he has gone to? If someone offered you a raise of 25K per week I’m sure you’d refuse! I think not. He came to us from Millwall in London. Maybe it’s a case of wanting to return to “Bright Lights” for his social life. At least West Ham let him know they wanted him whereas Liverpool didn’t seem bothered.

I say good luck, Lucas. Thanks for all you’ve done for us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.