BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

Tevez got all the accolades when West Ham stayed up but for me it was Neils that sured their defense up and helped them even more..I think he got injuries on arrival but sured up their defence when he did play..He played well against us this season. as a stand alone defender..Hes not the only tto leave here chasing the money...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The situation Lucash finds himself in now at West Ham is completely different to the one he was in at Rovers.

If West Ham were insane enough to offer him (say) 70k per week originally then even I couldn't necessarily blame him for refusing to accept a new deal on reduced terms of (say) 48k p.w.

If it was however a similar situation to that at Rovers and he was snubbing the offer of a contract extension on the same or improved terms in the belief he could command an even greater amount again as a free agent, then he would deserve every bit of villification going from the West Ham fans.

Just as he deserves it from Blackburn fans for his conduct here.

The situation Lucash finds himself in now at West Ham is completely different to the one he was in at Rovers.

If West Ham were insane enough to offer him (say) 70k per week originally then even I couldn't necessarily blame him for refusing to accept a new deal on reduced terms of (say) 48k p.w.

If it was however a similar situation to that at Rovers and he was snubbing the offer of a contract extension on the same or improved terms in the belief he could command an even greater amount again as a free agent, then he would deserve every bit of villification going from the West Ham fans.

No doubt he can easily live with it.

Lucash has looked at what West Ham are offering and the situation they are in and concluded he's much better off as a free agent in the market place.

My guess is that if he were under contract, he would still command a transfer fee of £4m in all likelihood.

So as a very proven PL full back, he thinks he can command a "normal" wage of say £30K a week plus pocket most of the transfer fee he is not costing any cub he joins.

West Ham on the otherhand might (and I stress might) be extremely grateful not to be even paying him the 20% reduction in pay they offered. It depends what RBS are saying to them about their own £48m bank loan. (That is seperate from their soon to be liquidated owner's debts).

Check back a year ago and you will find countless stories about Newcastle trying and failing for Warnock.

Take your time over it.

£4m? He is 31 remember and would be on big wages, making the deal even more expensive.

I do agree though, he's probably looked at what's on offer and knows that, with his Premier League experience, he could probablmost likely do better for himself on a free as he would save any prospective club from paying a transfer fee. If he values money above other considerations, then I suppose it's fair enough for him to reject the contract and to move on.

What are you talking about, he said he wanted to leave. The club didn't sell him, he got on with and it and gave his best season in the blue and white halves.

He handled it very professionally.

I can't believe still wanting to vilify him for wanting a pay rise? His employer couldn't give it to him, another employer could, he left. How long do you expect players to hang around (loyalty) for giving them a chance in the PL?

What are you talking about, he said he wanted to leave. The club didn't sell him, he got on with and it and gave his best season in the blue and white halves.

He handled it very professionally.

I can't believe still wanting to vilify him for wanting a pay rise? His employer couldn't give it to him, another employer could, he left. How long do you expect players to hang around (loyalty) for giving them a chance in the PL?

The problem with Lucas (as perceived by many) is that he said it was NOTHING to do with money and all to do with ambition, bettering himself and wanting to play in the Champions League. He then basically spurned Liverpool who were in the Champions League to go to West Ham who narrowly avoided relegation by cheating the system with Tevez. Some ambition, some betterment.

Some surprise at his departure- lots of good things said about him in terms of leadership and respect in the dressing room.

He has played well this season, although he went through a particularly good vein of form after January which some (including myself) found strange...

His wages were around the 30k a week mark btw. It was the signing on and staying up bonus that inflated his wages beyond this.

We are now apparently interested in a player called Fanni.

Great.

The problem with Lucas (as perceived by many) is that he said it was NOTHING to do with money and all to do with ambition, bettering himself and wanting to play in the Champions League. He then basically spurned Liverpool who were in the Champions League to go to West Ham who narrowly avoided relegation by cheating the system with Tevez. Some ambition, some betterment.

From here, I was always under the impression that Neill wanted to maximise his income so that he could get into team ownership here.

How could he have "spurned" Liverpool, they didn't offer him what he wanted. They wanted him on their terms, he would go on his. The Spammers dangled a carrot, he took it, where's the problem?

He did nothing wrong by the contract he had with the rovers, they had the chance to sell him earlier, they didn't. Where's the problem from Neill?

Whether he bettered himself is debateable, but it was his choice, not unlike anyone choosing their employer.

From here, I was always under the impression that Neill wanted to maximise his income so that he could get into team ownership here.

How could he have "spurned" Liverpool, they didn't offer him what he wanted. They wanted him on their terms, he would go on his. The Spammers dangled a carrot, he took it, where's the problem?

He did nothing wrong by the contract he had with the rovers, they had the chance to sell him earlier, they didn't. Where's the problem from Neill?

Whether he bettered himself is debateable, but it was his choice, not unlike anyone choosing their employer.

As my post says the situation as I've described it is how it is perceived by many people. It doesn't make it right or wrong but a matter of perception and personal intepretation.

Granted, but I believe at that point in time West Ham were talking extremely big and had some grand plans of achievement. Hindsight everything has come crashing down but bench at Liverpool on a lesser deal or starter at West Ham with the deal you wanted? Seems pretty easy for me.

Some furious defending of the indefensible by our convict cousins of their countrymen but it doesn't wash.

Average player earning a ludicrous wage, just like most of the rest.

Both Richards and Zabaleta are far better right backs, and Onuoha is probably about as good as him. At least one of those will have to leave surely, just seems like a bit of needless disruption to me...especially if it's one of the home-grown lads, they'll surely be more loyal to the cause than Lucash.

Both Richards and Zabaleta are far better right backs, and Onuoha is probably about as good as him. At least one of those will have to leave surely, just seems like a bit of needless disruption to me...especially if it's one of the home-grown lads, they'll surely be more loyal to the cause than Lucash.

Richards was bloody awful all last season, he has gone backwards.......

From this:

and this:

Granted, but I believe at that point in time West Ham were talking extremely big and had some grand plans of achievement. Hindsight everything has come crashing down but bench at Liverpool on a lesser deal or starter at West Ham with the deal you wanted? Seems pretty easy for me.

the local turkey gets this:

Some furious defending of the indefensible by our convict cousins of their countrymen but it doesn't wash.

I'd leave it at saying Dwight was going to be the saviour at Ewood and getting that into print as the high point in your life, John.

Gosh! Shock horror! A professional footballer telling lies! Whatever next? :lol::rolleyes:

is all about money with Lucas, good player but does not deserve that wage packet!!

So all credit to him for his over achievement eh?

You are just blaming him for taking what was on offer. He didn't set the salary level. Who wouldn't do the same?

Gosh! Shock horror! A professional footballer telling lies! Whatever next? :lol::rolleyes:

don't think anyone is shocked by the lies. More like fed up that players can't see that we all know they're telling lies and so persist in telling them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.