BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Worst Ever Rovers Player?

Actually iv'e just seen another shocker pop up on Rovers twitter account, Maceo Rigters ! Even Hughsey dropped the odd clanger and i remember there being a lot of raised eyebrows about how he got here and the wage he was on.

Watched him for the 2nd string a few times and he really was pants.

Actually iv'e just seen another shocker pop up on Rovers twitter account, Maceo Rigters ! Even Hughsey dropped the odd clanger and i remember there being a lot of raised eyebrows about how he got here and the wage he was on.

Watched him for the 2nd string a few times and he really was pants.

We signed him on the back of the UEFA U-21 tournament. Just goes to show, believe only half of what you see.

• Like 1

Robbie Fowler? Ince's signing, one of the great goalscorers of his generation but past it by the time he came to rovers.

Youri djorkieff, was great at Bolton but made just a few appearances for rovers

Basturk, was a superstar at Leverkusen, I think he made 1appearance for us, not sure that qualifies

No particular order

J lowe

C Brown

A ward

B Orr

J de Pedro

It would be interesting to see who the agent and agency that these players where associated with to see if any are connected or what other donkeys do they have on their books like clown agency.

Robbie Fowler? Ince's signing, one of the great goalscorers of his generation but past it by the time he came to rovers.

Youri djorkieff, was great at Bolton but made just a few appearances for rovers

Basturk, was a superstar at Leverkusen, I think he made 1appearance for us, not sure that qualifies

I COMPLETELY forgot that Basturk played for us! Obviously he did nothing for us but what a player he was. To think, there were days we could sign someone like that, it not work out, and everything still be OK enough for it to disappear from trace.

Barry Ferguson was probably the biggest letdown of my time watching. I was also really excited about signing Matty Holmes and that never turned into anything.

We've had far worse, but I remember my heart sinking every time I saw Jonathon Douglas on the team sheet.

Inspired by a thread on the Football365 Forum.......''Worst Ever XI''

I have dug up this beauty from 11 years ago, partly to see what people said 11 years ago, and also to see how little we knew back then that those would be 'the good old days' of recent times.

Pre Venkys, a phrase that will only be exacerbated as time goes on.

Please enjoy reading back through the comments, some funny in our current situation, some obviously that won't have changed. As for worst XI, any team nowadays

Based on several (or alas) more appearances.....

Steele.

Henley-Peacock-Rekik-Williams.

Etuhu-Lowe-Petrovic.

Goodwillie-Brown-Varney

I think Herold Goulon might get in that team

That whole Netherlands squad was tipped for huge things, all flopped.

Maduro, Pieters, Royston Drenthe, Ryan Babbel, Daniel de Ridder, Tim Krul, Zuiverloon

Didn't the Netherlands u21 manager select players for a system that worked rather than the most talented? Seem to remember reading something of that ilk at the time.

To me there are three criteria for a worst player:

1 be a poor talent for the level at which we are playing. In fairness to the current shower few would have been looked at in happier days, in any division, so all players to be ranked in the league/situation we were in.

2 have a significant negative impact on the team. One or two appearances doesn't really do much damage to us or deserve notoriety. Nor does a few ineffective sub appearances. Besides a mistake quickly rectified isn't that much of a problem.

3 statistically do badly for us. We've all seen a few clodhoppers in our time but sometimes they can be effective, even if not very talented or appealing to watch.

In light of this I've narrowed it down to two players:

Alan Fettis

Chris Brown

Oh we've had a bunch of other talentless gofers. Douglas always annoyed me in his left mid days but the team did grind out points. Andrews was poor but versatile and got a number of goals. Lowe is the worst captain I've ever seen but in very familiar company. Best was a huge expensive mistake and a prime pillock but got a few goals. And Matteo whilst a horrible footballer helped us be resilient under Hughes.

Fettis and Brown however simply couldn't do anything like what they were meant to do, fans lost all hope when the ball got near them and were poor excuses for footballers. Both sadly got a lot more game time then they ever deserved and comfortably deserve this accolade Imo.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I remember Kidd saying Ward needed a rest after playing 3 matches. Only footballer I've seen jump for a header and somehow make himself shorter than just standing there.

*cough* Scott Dann *cough*

• Like 1

To me there are three criteria for a worst player:

1 be a poor talent for the level at which we are playing. In fairness to the current shower few would have been looked at in happier days, in any division, so all players to be ranked in the league/situation we were in.

2 have a significant negative impact on the team. One or two appearances doesn't really do much damage to us or deserve notoriety. Nor does a few ineffective sub appearances. Besides a mistake quickly rectified isn't that much of a problem.

3 statistically do badly for us. We've all seen a few clodhoppers in our time but sometimes they can be effective, even if not very talented or appealing to watch.

In light of this I've narrowed it down to two players:

Alan Fettis

Chris Brown

Oh we've had a bunch of other talentless gofers. Douglas always annoyed me in his left mid days but the team did grind out points. Andrews was poor but versatile and got a number of goals. Lowe is the worst captain I've ever seen but in very familiar company. Best was a huge expensive mistake and a prime pillock but got a few goals. And Matteo whilst a horrible footballer helped us be resilient under Hughes.

Fettis and Brown however simply couldn't do anything like what they were meant to do, fans lost all hope when the ball got near them and were poor excuses for footballers. Both sadly got a lot more game time then they ever deserved and comfortably deserve this accolade Imo.

With that In mind.

1. Chris Brown

2.Adam Henley

3. Jason Lowe/Ashley ward/fode koita

Edited by Oldgregg86

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.