BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Worst Ever Rovers Player?

We had some real duffers during the Hodgson/Kidd period, Sebastian Perez came and went very quickly, although he did score a few goals. Souness signed his fair share of useless cloggers too, in fact Souness signed a lot of dross come to think of it.

Javier De Pedro was bobbins.

Yildiray Basturk getting hooked after 45 minutes.

Herold Goulon looked like he had no idea how he'd got on the pitch, absolute impostor.

However they would all be a marked improvement on the useless bunch we find ourselves paying to watch these days.

Edited by Lancaster Rover

Probably not the worst he had a fantastic pedigree and was only on loan but Dino Baggio, the man who came off the pitch every week with his shirt and shorts almost cleaner and crisper than when he went on.

We go on about agents these days, quite rightly but for a period back then particularly the Hodgson, Souness eras they must have had a field day.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Probably not the worst he had a fantastic pedigree and was only on loan but Dino Baggio, the man who came off the pitch every week with his shirt and shorts almost cleaner and crisper than when he went on.

We go on about agents these days, quite rightly but for a period back then particularly the Hodgson, Souness eras they must have had a field day.

I remember dashing home from work to watch the Glenchirbigli away game on TV. I'd just missed the the line ups so I spent the first five minutes figuring out what the team was. I got ten players almost right away but I couldn't figure out who was the eleventh. After half an hour Baggio actually touched the ball and I realised he was playing ! Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

I honestly believe Allardyce fits that bunch as well, notorious for having agents dictate his transfers.

We had some real duffers during the Hodgson/Kidd period, Sebastian Perez came and went very quickly, although he did score a few goals. Souness signed his fair share of useless cloggers too, in fact Souness signed a lot of dross come to think of it.

Perez was class, just didn't settle. I remember him getting sent off for putting his face in the way of Le Saux's fist. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Cameron Stewart

Forgot about him, he was pretty rubbish. Although he did play a part in Dunny's equaliser v the Dingles. Nevertheless he fits in nicely alongside Varney, Feeney, Paul Taylor and Spearing in the completely pointless loan signings category of the last few years.

• Like 1

Going against my minimum of 10 games rule....

All from the 2012/13 Season ~ All played at least once......

Diogo Rosado

Paulo Jorge

Cameron Stewart

David Bentley (heart wasn't in it)

Simon Vukcevic

DJ Campbell

Edinho Junior

Karim Rekik

Anton Forrester

Interesting to see who their agents were and who they have on the books today. Edited by JAL

Agree with one or two others on Perez i thought he was class and his heart was in it. Just didn't seem to work out for him but no wonder when we've seen Hodgsons round pegs for square holes approach numerous times in different jobs since.

• Like 1

A shout has to go out to Mark Atkins 1.0 the Right back donkey.

Mark Atkins 2.0 midfield legend.

We were playing Sheff Utd and every ball lumped forward from them caused panic in our defence. Our centre back got injured so Mark Atkins moved into the middle. The Sheff players looked shocked when every hoof forward was repelled by Atko's head way back into their half. All of a sudden they were not having it all their own way.

We all know what a superb midfield machine he became under Dalglish.

Worst ever striker by a mile is Chris Brown. Goals per minutes played is 0. And he has played a lot of minutes.

Worst EVER "player" to wear a Rovers 1st team shirt has to be Herold Goulon.

Havn't read the 170 other posts but JIM FRYATT gets my vote. I'm voting on the basis of a player who had a reasonable number of games not someone who was picked just the once and abandoned.

Jim was a bit of a cult hero at the time. Certainly the best header of a ball I've ever seen but we didn't really play to his strength - which was in the air. On the ground he wasn't the best by any means. His diving header against Norwich, when he came on as a sub, remains the best headed goal I think I've ever seen. For me, Frank Lord, was the worst I've seen but there are a number of contenders from that era - Les Chappell would certainly run him a close second. A little later there was John Aston who Iley signed to replace Waggy. Aston was playing from memory when we signed him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.