BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Worst Ever Rovers Player?

5 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Dom Samuel may be making a case for inclusion here.

I’m wondering about this. He’s like that lad Souness signed at Southampton with how lost he looks. I still can’t get over Raya throwing it out to him today, and he wasn’t even looking ?

16 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I wonder if we can get a team going? From the Premier league era onwards, mine would be:

Fettis

Orr/Peacock/Dailly/Anderson

Murphy/Grella/Etuhu

Fowler/Varney/Brown

I have probably forgotten many more worthy candidates, so there may be a 'better' team to be made.

Goulon - Grella injured ?

I look forward to revisiting this thread when we finally get shot of Samuel!

Being serious, it would be best for all parties if he is excluded now from the squad for the remainder of the season and Nuttall promoted. He’s in danger of becoming the next Chris Brown and that ain’t good for him or the side. I genuinely think Brown would offer the side more at the minute as he at least put himself about a bit now and again.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

I don't know about "worst" because it depends what the definition is. Jeff Stelling put out a book that named Ostenstad as the worst ever Rovers player. What a load of rubbish! Maybe people say it wasn't supposed to be taken that seriously but it's puff piece journalism. Top 10 lists, etc are lazy journalism in the age of information overload. People might say Kevin Davies, etc as one example and he was absolutely appalling while he was here. So from that perspective you could say he was the "worst". If you take the fee into account you might have a point. My ratings are based on a complete and utter lack of ability combined with performances/level throughout their career. Davies proved that he was a good player eventually albeit it one who blamed everybody but himself and never apologised to Rovers for his poor form. To an extent conduct as well if you include what he did before United game in 1999 when he was spotted the night before drinking, etc)

Fettis for me has to be the absolute worst (he didn't have that many games but it was more than one or two like some of the players mentioned) because he was a goalkeeper who couldn't be relied on to even make a save. The defenders must have been terrified having to "protect" him. He probably turned Colin Hendry into a nervous wreck.

Then there's Lowe who was a symbol of mediocrity for a long time. I just can't see any value in him as a player though either. What do Thenodrog and others actually see in the guy? He was a useless leader (what a joke choosing him as captain) with no inspirational or creative qualities. His so called defensive qualities never helped the club in any way. "Now I am become death, the destroyer of managers"

I can see why Brown has been mentioned primarily for being a striker who couldn't score goals. If you judge players relative to their performances at THIS club though (as those who mention Davies, etc are obviously doing) you could make a case for him being ahead of a few. If little else he did at least have occasional good games. Can't remember Davies having any even when he actually scored. Remember the 3-0 win over Fulham even Brown's detractors thought he played well that night. As I say though lack of ability full stop is probably the main thing for me. I think everyone agrees that's why Kean would be 1st on any Rovers managerial worst list. That's before even bringing his personality into it! OK you could say Kean won at Old Trafford, Liverpool 3-1, etc if you want to contrast that with my remark on Brown occasionally having a good game. They were just flukes though or due to the players still retaining some level of professionalism. You can't say any player giving a good performance is a fluke scenario. 

Probably thinking too deeply on what's a bit of a "top 10/puff piece" equivalent kinda thread. 

Edited by Vinjay17

10 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Dominic Samuel is like Pele compared with John O’Mara, indisputably the worst in my time. He’s also not as bad as Brian Conlon.

Yeah Conlon was bad. To think we swapped Malcolm Darling for him ! One was a footballer and one was a stump. When we moan about our current players we've nobody playing now that poor.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I think he was mentioned earlier in this thread but the worst has to be Paul McKinnon.

Rumours were Bobby Saxton went to watch Andy Mutch at Southport before he became part of the Bull/Mutch partnership at Wolves.  Saxton was more impressed with McKinnon so bought him with our very limited budget. Much went on to be successful at Wolves in the old Div. 1.

McKinnon made Chis Brown look like Harry Kane and I think is the only forward who has a worse scoring record than Brown. I think the only goal he scored in Blue and white was an own goal in a reserve game so has a record of -1. I maybe wrong there but he was still the worse I've seen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I think he was mentioned earlier in this thread but the worst has to be Paul McKinnon.

Rumours were Bobby Saxton went to watch Andy Mutch at Southport before he became part of the Bull/Mutch partnership at Wolves.  Saxton was more impressed with McKinnon so bought him with our very limited budget. Much went on to be successful at Wolves in the old Div. 1.

McKinnon made Chis Brown look like Harry Kane and I think is the only forward who has a worse scoring record than Brown. I think the only goal he scored in Blue and white was an own goal in a reserve game so has a record of -1. I maybe wrong there but he was still the worse I've seen.

Spot on. I’ve mentioned Paul in this context before - a big honest lad but woeful in a Rovers shirt.

• Like 1

Bang for buck, Jordan Slew.

1.1million for a teenager that less than 7 years later plays for Radcliffe Borough.

All above board of course.

edit - he did go on to achieve something though:

“In March 2015 he was caught by police speeding at 156 mph in his BMW M4 on the Cambridgeshire section of the A1, in what was the fastest recorded speed on a public road in the UK for more than three years”

Edited by S8 & Blue

18 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Bang for buck, Jordan Slew.

1.1million for a teenager that less than 7 years later plays for Radcliffe Borough.

All above board of course.

edit - he did go on to achieve something though:

“In March 2015 he was caught by police speeding at 156 mph in his BMW M4 on the Cambridgeshire section of the A1, in what was the fastest recorded speed on a public road in the UK for more than three years”

Hey I doubt many people can say they won at Old Trafford in their only top flight game! OK some minor details like being a 89th minute substitute but can't take it away from him! :D

Edited by Vinjay17

20 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Spot on. I’ve mentioned Paul in this context before - a big honest lad but woeful in a Rovers shirt.

Hardly spot on is it, hows it physically possible to make a striker who never scored a goal look like Harry Kane? 

On 4/15/2018 at 08:44, mrsusan said:

Hardly spot on is it, hows it physically possible to make a striker who never scored a goal look like Harry Kane? 

By being a striker who was absolutely rubbish in every respect and even left us in negative equity by only ever 'scoring' an own goal as opposed to one who simply didn't score but did have other attributes. Or is that too much for you to compute?

The question should be the worst player to have played 10 games or more, because we signed some sh1t that never really featured since Venkys took over. 

For consistency and number of games played, Jason Lowe has to be up there. His ball control and passing are unbelievably bad for a centre midfielder. I reckon he will be in League 2 by the time he is 30. Got a very cushy run here in hindsight 

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The question should be the worst player to have played 10 games or more, because we signed some sh1t that never really featured since Venkys took over. 

For consistency and number of games played, Jason Lowe has to be up there. His ball control and passing are unbelievably bad for a centre midfielder. I reckon he will be in League 2 by the time he is 30. Got a very cushy run here in hindsight 

This is not in any way meant to defend our current owners but we signed a fair number of carthorses way before Venkys pitched up - Kenny D and others signed plenty that ended up rarely or never featuring in the first team. Ten games seems a fair and reasonable number to make an assessment of a player though BDS, I agree with you on that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

This is not in any way meant to defend our current owners but we signed a fair number of carthorses way before Venkys pitched up - Kenny D and others signed plenty that ended up rarely or never featuring in the first team. Ten games seems a fair and reasonable number to make an assessment of a player though BDS, I agree with you on that.

Oh ya, no doubt they were signed, it's just the recent ones stick more in my memory anyway. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.