BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holiday Reading

Back up again.

I offer you "50 People Who Fouled Up Football" by Michael Henderson.

A shotgun while sat in a revolving chair approach; but hugely enjoyable.

Roman Abranovich; Joey Barton; Ken Bates; Didier Drogba; Alan Green; Peter Risdale; Ian Wright. It just keeps on giving.

Sam Allerdyce is in there too.

I have finished "Alone in Berlin" by Hans Fallada and would happily recommend it. It's based on real events in Berlin in the early 40s and sees one man decide to take a stand against Hitler and the Third Reich by spreading anti-Hitler propaganda. Throw in family members, an elderly judge, a postie, a brace of ne'er do wells, a family of Nazis and a Gestapo sleuth just for good measure and you have a fine, intelligent and absorbing read. The style reminded me of Gogol (so very easy to read) and the apparent futility of being good in the face of entrenched evil reminded me of To Kill A Mockingbird. One of the best books I've read in a long time and an unexpected pleasure. Thank you Mrs Sidders.

If you like a bit of sci-fi/fantasy reading I've been enjoying Walter Jon Williams stuff. Some clever physics that's interesting, but not baffling. Engaging characters and a few moments where I've stopped reading to look around to think 'hell, that's clever!'

I've read second 2 books of the Praxis trilogy, Implied Spaces and This is not a game.

If you like a bit of sci-fi/fantasy reading I've been enjoying Walter Jon Williams stuff. Some clever physics that's interesting, but not baffling. Engaging characters and a few moments where I've stopped reading to look around to think 'hell, that's clever!'

I've read second 2 books of the Praxis trilogy, Implied Spaces and This is not a game.

Have you tried Harry Turtledove DabLad?

No probs. You should start with Guns of the South, a fantastic read.

The World War Series is also some serious fun.

Have just glanced through this thread to see what others read and am amazed by the serious nature of much of it. I read constantly but only ever really light thrillers and so on. I think the hangover of reading der Zauberberg in the original German (even down to the gothic text because I couldn't get hold of a standard text) and all those amazingly detailed and depressing 19th century French novels persists after 38 years. :)

Could I recommend for my fellow readers this site -

www.goodreads.com

It is kind of like a virtual library for the books that you have read, you can also see people comments and ratings on books that you have also read and then see what other books they like. It is a fantastic resource for books and lots of good discussions, tips etc.

Just finished rereading IT by Stephen King, the man uses pretty much every childhood fear in this novel to pretty good effect. The most disturbing part, in my view, was how the charecters, when they were children, escaped the sewers. :unsure:

Loving my commute, probably reading 2 books or so a week. Mostly crime novels (most swapped for the cost of postage through the site I often shill: www.readitswapit.co.uk).

Of all I've read, I'd say RJ Ellory's A Quiet Belief in Angels is one of the great "American" novels I've ever read. I put American in quotes because, while it is a sweeping first person narrative written from the point of view of an American in the south, Ellory is English. The book follows a man from childhood through adulthood who grows up in a small farming town where young girls are getting murdered. It's about his life, which ends up revolving around writing and trying to figure out who the killer is. The quality of the book is less in the mystery side and much more in following the growth of the character.

Followed up with his A Simple Act of Violence, which is just as well written, but not as good. It follows a string of murders in Washington DC of women who have no verifiable life histories. It's the kind of book that thumps you over the head with the political point it is trying to make (and succeeding, to be fair).

Moving on with the Ell... authors, have been reading most of the James Ellroy novels that I haven't read already. Ellroy is most known for writing LA Confidential, which was turned into an excellent film. He write about the darker sides of American life and crime. Most recently read American Tabloid, which focuses on cold war America and the rise of the Kennedys, plus the CIA's involvement in Cuba. A great, sweeping novel with interesting characters (always a staple in his novels).

Interesting interview with him here:

Of all I've read, I'd say RJ Ellory's A Quiet Belief in Angels is one of the great "American" novels I've ever read. I put American in quotes because, while it is a sweeping first person narrative written from the point of view of an American in the south, Ellory is English. The book follows a man from childhood through adulthood who grows up in a small farming town where young girls are getting murdered. It's about his life, which ends up revolving around writing and trying to figure out who the killer is. The quality of the book is less in the mystery side and much more in following the growth of the character.

Never tried them American, are they an easy read or something that you have to seriously put some thought into?

Never tried them American, are they an easy read or something that you have to seriously put some thought into?

Wouldn't say an easy read, but not full of heavy symbolism, either. Straight forwardly written, but long and involved is probably the best way to describe.

Wouldn't say an easy read, but not full of heavy symbolism, either. Straight forwardly written, but long and involved is probably the best way to describe.

Not like Cormac McCarthy then?

I have been reading some really heavy stuff lately and am desperate for something fast and good.

I have been reading some really heavy stuff lately and am desperate for something fast and good.

Have a go at "Paperboy" by Christopher Fowler.

Quick & easy, but possibly best enjoyed by someone who grew up in the 1960s and remembers a "Mivvie."

Funny & sad in equal measures. Jeyes Fluid, Arthur Askey, Dixon Of Dock Green & Maltesers in a box.

I know i'm probably going to get laughed at for this, But what the hell.

I recentley got a copy of Bret Harts autobiography.Now i'm not a wrestling fan, But as a child i was and Bret Hart was the reason i watched it.

Then after his leaving the then WWF i stopped watching it.

Then i saw this book in asda so i thought i'd give it a read, and what a read it is.What wrestlers go through in the name of entertainment is astonishing.Painkiller addiction, Drugg addiction, alochism, affairs, betrayl.And of curse in some cases suicide.

This is not a book about wrestling, But a book about the life of a guy who's involved in the wrestling business from birth.

A good read for anyone who has ever been remotley a fan of wrestling.

I know i'm probably going to get laughed at for this, But what the hell.

I recentley got a copy of Bret Harts autobiography.Now i'm not a wrestling fan, But as a child i was and Bret Hart was the reason i watched it.

Then after his leaving the then WWF i stopped watching it.

Then i saw this book in asda so i thought i'd give it a read, and what a read it is.What wrestlers go through in the name of entertainment is astonishing.Painkiller addiction, Drugg addiction, alochism, affairs, betrayl.And of curse in some cases suicide.

This is not a book about wrestling, But a book about the life of a guy who's involved in the wrestling business from birth.

A good read for anyone who has ever been remotley a fan of wrestling.

Going off that, and I apologize for taking this off topic, but I too grew up watching WWF until I grew out of it. Bill Simmons, a writer for ESPN, does a podcast called the BS report. One of the episodes (maybe 3 weeks back now) he interviews a retired Shaun Michaels and it was a very fascinating conversation. Brett Hart and that incident is also discussed.

Thank you Colin and American, will give them a go.

Just finished Fort Pillow by Harry Turtledove and it was a pretty good read, very interesting account of an attack by the Confederate States of America on a Federal fort manned by Pro-Union Tennessee troops and black troops during the Civil War. About as historically accurate as the mixed accounts of the real battle took place allows. Definitely pacy and decently written, not an alternate history novel as is normally delivered by Mr. Turtledove.

• 3 weeks later...

One for people who don't like history but would like to know more about history.

I saw John O'Farrell's "An Utterly Impartial History Of Britain (or 2000 years of Upper Class Idiots In Charge") in a bookshop and got it.

It does a history of Britain from 55BC to 1945AD (so the maths adds up.) Written in sensible chunks so you can separate the Normans; Stuarts; Tudors; Victorians & all the rest.

It's written in a light & jocular style. And to misquote Mel Brooks "I've only just read it and I'm going to read it again."

Why was Cumbria/Cumberland not included in The Domesday Book. You'll find out without a headache.

Any history book that contains the line "Darren, that musket is not a toy!" gets my vote

The last two books I have completed cover sport and music, my two main interests. Drinking good beer is the third, but the first two cover this one as an incidental.

First the sport. I like David Llloyd, AKA Bumble. He's from Accy, played for Lancs and England and coached them both too, with varying success. His radio and latterrly his TV work are a refreshing change from the plum-in-mouth home counties crew that once pervaded the airwaves. His inside knowledge of what goes on in the dressing room, coupled with his laconic wit make his input enjoyable.

Which is a bit more than can be said for his book, Start the Car: The World According to Bumble. With little order, not even chornological, the conent veers from interesting but limited revelations from the Zimbabwe problems and his infamous press conference to boring stories about his mates and neighbours and their alcohol problems. Going off his work in his day job, I would guess the book was all his own work, without much interence from an editor or ghost writer.

Secondly the music. There are a few of us on here who like The Fall. An astonishing band made up of Mark E Smith and about fifty odd others over the last thirty years. Those fifty odd have all been hired and fired by the peculiar Smith, and the story of those sacked by the Prestwich based performer has been documented by Dave Simpson, Guardian journalist and Fall fan.

Simpson book, The Fallen is an excellent read, ostensibly about The Fall but you do not need to like or even have heard the bands music to enjoy it. It focuses on the relationship between Smith and all those who he comes into contact with, and the effect he has on them and their lives. My favourite book this year, although it has been out for a while now.

• 3 months later...

back up to the top.

"We Ate All The Pies" by John Nicholson

It pretty much mirrors my life. If you are over 45-ish it'll ring so many bells you'll think you've turned into a campanologist. If you are younger, then it's still worth a read just to see where we middle-aged folks are coming from.

Football & rock 'n' roll. Nylon shirts; bubble gum cards; Boro; comics; avoiding violence..................

If Abbey was still one here he'd love it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.