BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holiday Reading

"The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time" by Mark Haddon is rather an eye-opener. It sort of drags you along in a morbid/intersting/ let's see what happens next way due to the fact that it is written from the point of view of someone who is autistic.

Having lived next door to an autistic bloke for a number of years it really rang a few bells. I don't think you have to know anyone autistic to be enthralled by it.

This book has been kicking around our house for a while, I think it's just me who hadn't read it. I may have started once and fallem asleep as I felt I'd read the opening pages before. Aftre really enjoying "A Spot of Bother" by the same author, I decided I must read this one. Colin describes it well, the book drags you in and the need to know what happens next is almost compelling, but I was on the verge of giving up when the major turning point happened (not to give anything away). From there I just read to the end, which arrived very abruptly, but I suppose that is an aspect of Asperger's Syndrome? *

It's good, different, drags you all over the place, there's no nice comfy, settled pattern and it's very, very literal, which I imagine is one of the major aspects of Asperger's? People should read this, it's uncomfortable, a lot of books are uncomfortable for a variety of reasons, this one comes from a direction most of us are unfamiliar with.

If I had read The Curious Incident first I'm wondering if I would have read A Spot of Bother? I hope so but might not have done. Mark Haddon deals with people and relationships in a fresh way for me. I can now see why CS found the characters in A Spot of Bother irritating, I'm just wonderng if that is exactly what Haddon had in mind? Perhaps he is just holding up a mirror to what he sees in the world?

* The book is written, fictionally, by Christopher Boone, the central character, who has Asperger's Syndrome. To say he sees things as black and white hardly describes it!

Edited by Paul

Some recent reads...

The Sound of Laughter by Peter Kay

Bolton bloke recounts incidents in his childhood. Writing comedically is far more difficult than being funny in performance and this shows. No bad but rarely laugh-out-loud funny I felt.

Beyond the Coral Sea by Michael Moran

A travelogue mixed in with interesting snippets from history by an Australian writer about Papua New Guinea. This rather isolated outpost was famous for its cannibals more than anything. Errol Flynn pops up in the story as do the Germans (pre-WWI) and the Japanese (during WWII and not liked by the locals at all unsurprisingly). An interesting read about a country that is rarely wrote about.

I, Virgil by David Wishart

What Robert Graves did for Claudius; David Wishart doesn't quite manage for Virgil. It's not too bad a tale but there is much that is fabricated to make a rounded story and it doesn't quite skip along at the same pace as the excellent pot-boilers - as he called them - by Graves. Would be of interest to those who love reading about Rome but not much more than that even to them.

Pele by Pele (with Alex Bellos)

This is an interesting look into the life of the world's most famous-ever player...meaning that from the age of 17 it is fair to say that Pele didn't live anything other than an extraordinary life. Pele seems a nice enough bloke who is awful at business and trusts the wrong people time and again. There are some rather meaningless platitudes...such as when he scored his 1,000th goal (these included friendlies) and dedicated it to the children of Brazil because without children there is no future...yeah we know Pele but how is dedicating a goal going to make a difference? Anyway...recommended but not quite up there with Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life also by Bellos and all about Brazil and its football.

I'm currently on The God Delusion by Richard D-A-W-K-I-N-S which is fascinating and I even got This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson sent out due to so many recommendations on here and that will be read soon.

PS - If you are wondering why I have posted the surname of the last author like that...it appears that name is now blocked by the swear filter.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Just finished a biography of James Herriot by his son (Jim Wight) - a book which took Blackburn Central Library a remarkable 8 months to produce from the date I ordered it . Worth the wait , I suppose , although a "true" autobiography by the great man would have far surpassed it ....but never mind .

Oh ....and if this book should tempt you to re-read the original Herriot classics they are to be found at Blackburn library in the science section alongside a couple of veterinary manuals .... :closedeyes:

I'm currently on The God Delusion by Richard D-A-W-K-I-N-S which is fascinating and I even got This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson sent out due to so many recommendations on here and that will be read soon.

Read This Thing of Darkness while on holiday and must say a big thank you to all on here who recommended it.

List 7 - all completely new

+++

Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov

Recommended by Rebelmswar

A brief description: It contains all the stories from I, Robot as well, not the Will Smith paff though, it is completely different.

The best story in my opinion is “Victory Unintentional” which had me rolling on the floor. I kept picturing the Jovian’s as Man Utd fans, if you read it you will understand what I mean. Well anyway it is a quick read due to the fact that it is a bunch of short stories so you can power through them easily. Give it a try you won’t be disappointed at all.

+++

On the Road' by Jack Kerouac

Recommended by Starscascade

A brief description: I've found it to be really mind-opening and has changed my opinion on alot of things that happen everyday.

+++

A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon

Recommended by Paul

A brief description: Thoroughly enjoyed A Spot of Bother. The plot centres around George, 57, who has recently retired, thinks he has cancer, it's actually ecezma, and is going quietly insane; his wife, their son and daughter and all the various relationships these people are involved with - engaged, married etc.etc. On one level you can take this as a jolly good, romping along, at times laugh out loud, read. On a deeper level it's a very sad book, but don't let this put you off, while you're enjoying the romp you'll get momentary twinges of real sadness and empathy with George, quickly followed by a loud chortle or quiet smile to yourself.

The characters are well developed and the descriptive writing, while often very brief, so good you can see the house, the garden, street or town in which the action is taking place in your mind's eye. A really good read - don't miss it.

Or Cheeky Sidders' take: I really hated "A spot of bother". All the characters (without exception) were very annoying, the tone for much of it was whingey whiney and it was like the writers of Terry & June had been told to get a bit hard-edged and had watched a few episodes of Holby City and Queer As Folk for research and then got carried away. That said, a middle-aged friend really liked it and was speechless when I said it was rubbish

+++

Robert Hicks's The Widow of the South

Recommended by Rovermatt

A brief description: plays out around 1864's bloody battle of Franklin in Tennessee. I'm very into the American Civil War and last March spent a week in Virginia, the focal point of the entire conflict. The book is beautifully written in a mix of styles and from a number of first-person viewpoints and features, amongst others, the fearsome Confederate general (and later KKK founder) Nathan Bedford Forrest . I'd recommend it to anyone with a similar interest.

+++

Ollie: The Autobiography of Ian Holloway

Recommended by Blackpool Rover

A brief description: With so many similar books on the market from overpaid 'handed on a plate' type people in the football world...lampard, crouch etc It was nice to read Holloways story. He is quite honest and talks in detail about his problems managing Bristol Rovers where they sold all his best players and didn't give him any money. The administration times with QPR where he is very keen to point out 'we still did well'. He also goes into detail on his relationship with the QPR chairman and the lies he was told which led to him being put on gardening leave. The book ends a season into his Plymouth career which is quite annoying because as this book was released he moved to Leicsester. He also talks about his lifelong love for his wife Kim and his coming to terms with three of his children being deaf.

An interesting read from a man who, although not so succesful, has had to overcome many hurdles in his football career on and off the pitch.

+++

Left Foot in the Grave by Garry Nelson

Recommended by Jimbo

A brief description: It follows the exploits of the epitomie of the journeyman footballer's drift from playing to managing Torquay United - It is an excellent insight into how difficult things are for the managers of the lower league teams, and although nearly 10 years old I'm sure things have not got better down in the basement of football

+++

The Secret River by Kate Grenville

Recommended by Paul

A brief description: the story of William Thornhill's early days in London and then his family's struggle in the emerging Australia following his, and so their, transportation to the Colony. It's an excellent read providing an insight for me on the early settlement of Australia bringing to the fore the struggles of the pardoned convicts, their families, to settle the wild continent. More importantly it deals with the enormous impact on the Aboriginies, their understanding of the land they occupy, the relationships that developed between the native and the newcomer which ultimately resulted in a terrible cost for the native people. The writer brings early 19th century London and Australia alive with her excellent descriptive writing, often the sunlight is the only thing to lift one's heart when reading a book in which hardship is ever present and unspeakable violence simmers just below the surface for much of the narrative.

+++

FLB's selection (chopped a couple because you didn't recommend them)

Beyond the Coral Sea by Michael Moran

A travelogue mixed in with interesting snippets from history by an Australian writer about Papua New Guinea. This rather isolated outpost was famous for its cannibals more than anything. Errol Flynn pops up in the story as do the Germans (pre-WWI) and the Japanese (during WWII and not liked by the locals at all unsurprisingly). An interesting read about a country that is rarely wrote about.

Pele by Pele (with Alex Bellos)

This is an interesting look into the life of the world's most famous-ever player...meaning that from the age of 17 it is fair to say that Pele didn't live anything other than an extraordinary life. Pele seems a nice enough bloke who is awful at business and trusts the wrong people time and again. There are some rather meaningless platitudes...such as when he scored his 1,000th goal (these included friendlies) and dedicated it to the children of Brazil because without children there is no future...yeah we know Pele but how is dedicating a goal going to make a difference? Anyway...recommended but not quite up there with

Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life also by Bellos and all about Brazil and its football.

+++

A biography of James Herriot by his son (Jim Wight)

Recommended by Blue Phil

Brief description - a book which took Blackburn Central Library a remarkable 8 months to produce from the date I ordered it . Worth the wait , I suppose , although a "true" autobiography by the great man would have far surpassed it ....but never mind .

Oh ....and if this book should tempt you to re-read the original Herriot classics they are to be found at Blackburn library in the science section alongside a couple of veterinary manuals ....

Milestones by Sayed Qutb

Only 160 pages, very quick read indeed

After the attempted assasination of Egyptian President Nasser in 1954 by Muslim Brotherhood operatives, a number of Muslim Brotherhood leaders, including Sayyid Qutb, were imprisoned. While in prison Qutb wrote a 30-volume series on his interpretation of the Quran, "In The Shade of the Quran", as well as this book, "Milestones". Milestones is at its core a treatis on Political Islam, After Qutb was hanged for subversion in 1966, his brother Muhammed Qutb went to Saudi Arabia, where he taught Islamic Studies. Among his students was Ayman Zawahiri, teacher of Osama Bin Laden.

Is it a good read though?

And to be fair, its probably not a good idea to take with you on holiday, might lead to some interesting chats with the security people.

Interesting more so than well-written or good, its along the lines of mein kampf nowhere near as miltant or blatenly viscous though . Qutb was more intelligent than Adolf and no don’t take it abroad you may be stopped and questioned. It’s ok for those who don’t have to go through customs when holidaying.

Interesting more so than well-written or good, its along the lines of mein kampf nowhere near as miltant or blatenly viscous though . Qutb was more intelligent than Adolf and no don’t take it abroad you may be stopped and questioned. It’s ok for those who don’t have to go through customs when holidaying.

I'll put you up for a recommendation for when you read something that has made you laugh. Lighten up a touch old chap.

I'm currently in a void at the moment, i havent got anything decent to read. Just finished 'I Am Legend' By Richard Matheson. Thought this was truely amazing and extremely chilling at parts. Nothing at all like the film except that the Vampires bare the resemblance that they come out at night, and that the protagonist is the last man alive....as expected really. But thats all really you can compare between the film and book.

I actually enjoyed both though as post-apocalyptic stuff fascinates me.

So whats next? i'll probably try and have a look at Robot by Asimov possibley?!

????

How many book listed on here are actually funny?

Well at the recommendation of Colin(?) I picked up a Colin Bateman book, Of Wee Sweetie Mice and Men. Was enjoyable and pretty funny in parts as well. I'll be picking up more from him. It takes the mind off of the more heavy history books I immerse myself in.

????

How many book listed on here are actually funny?

Anything by Colin Bateman; Peter Kay's probably is; & Ian Holloway's is pretty much certain to be.

I was only joking BTW.

Cheers

Colin

So I just finished my Llhosa book and I have Gates of Fire by Pressfield and The History of just About Everything(?) by Bill Bryson staring at me. Which do I delve into first? Or do I buck the two and get into Suttree by Cormac McCarthy?

Decisions, decisions.... :rolleyes:

While not wanting to stop anyone from recommending books on Hitler, please will you do it with a bit of background on the book itself and it's read-ability. ISBN & details would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Colin

Just picked this up from a post 2 years ago

I recommend all football fans read this book :-

Broken Dreams: Vanity, Greed and the Souring of British Football

by Tom Bower.

it'll shed more light into the murky dealings on a few of 'football's loveable rogues' ie, bates, venables and harry redknapp.

redknapp has an 8 million pound house, that from a guy who's managed, bournemouth, west ham, pompey and saints?

i wonder why he ships players in an out all the time? hmmmmmmm.

I am about half way through The Damned United, a rather unusual piece ostensibly based on Brian Cloughs short spell at Leeds United. It is fiction I suppose, but based on very well researched facts I reckon, and the first person narrative is interrupted by italicised psychotic flashbacks from his early playing demise in the North East to his rise through managing Hartlepool and Derby to succeeding his nemesis Don Revie.

A real page turner and I fully recommend it.

Link to Amazon and the reviews The Damned United

Apologies if already mentioned earlier in the thread.

While not wanting to stop anyone from recommending books on Hitler, please will you do it with a bit of background on the book itself and it's read-ability. ISBN & details would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Colin

Incidentally , anyone wishing to get the best insight into Hitler's psyche should try reading Frederick Spotts' "Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics" . An outstanding book in a very crowded field of biographies .....

Oh - and it's got great read-ability.......which is why I recommended it . :rolleyes:

ISBN !!? Don't be so bloody pedantic .

Cheers .

Phil .

ISBN !!? Don't be so bloody pedantic .

I shall take ze luger into ze conservatory and do the honourable thing mein Fuhrer

*BANG*

Edited by colin

That reminds me, Colin. The Red Dwarf Omnibus is superb stuff (Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, Better Than Life, Backwards, etc). Expands on the TV series and provides some background info from your favourite (if you like the show) characters.

I don't know if it is still in print or not but it is bloody good.

Just bought myself World War Z.

It's set a few years after the Human race was nearly wiped out by a horde of Zombie's

It's based on interviews with survivors and key players in the 10-year fight back against said Zombie horde.

It's funny, Scary, Gory and really enjoyable......If you like Zombie type things.

It's written by Max Brooks who also wrote Zombie Survival Guide.Wich is another well worth a read...Again if you like that type of thing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.