BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oh My Dear Lord! (ewood)

This messagebaord seems to be going downhill, FAST.

Its amazing how many people are so eager to sell the name of the ground for a few quid, so that they have more money to spend on the new championship manager.

The foreigners always seem so keen to get some money in, no matter what it involves!

327998[/snapback]

I am not eager to sell the naming rights to our ground. But if it was to supply us enough income to significantly improve our situation I would support it. Afterall, a name is a name. What is important is the club.

Any why does people expressing their own opinions mean that the messageboard is going downhill, As long as they are relevant and senseible then if anything it is the message board going uphil. downhill is when people start moaning when people disagree with them.

ON Topic,

IF we could get significant revenue for selling our naming rights

AND it was with a reputable and suitable company

AND if the money would be spent on improving our league situation

Then I would support it. I go to watch Rovers, not to sit in Ewood Park.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, next thing you know Premier League teams will be selling sponsorship on the front of their jerseys.... Imagine that, Rovers desecrating the famous halves....

The US needs to go back to the days of non-corporate naming, such as Fenway Park - oh, wait, that was named in a sponsorship deal with the Fenway Realty Company.

328002[/snapback]

Very weak stuff Bostonian. I'm surprised that you didn't bring up Wrigley. Not enough lattes yet? For those who think he is serious, General Charles Henry Taylor named the park after the Fenway section of Boston. Anyway the point of your post was.......? For? Against? There is a huge difference between an advertisement on the front of the kit and changing the name of 114 years of history. Let's see; the Red Sox with their uniforms intact but in a new stadium or a little ad patch placed on the uniform's shoulder with the games still played at Fenway, with the name Fenway? So what would you choose smart ass?

So the fact that Taylor owned Fenway Realty Company was mere co-incidence?

Tradition wasn't always names on the shirts. Tradition was no substitutes, with heavy wool uniforms. Tradition was brown socks. Tradition was no corporate advertising on the sides of the pitch. Tradition was terraces. I could go on and on.

Even though I don't reside in England I despise even the thought of a name change for our ground. Ewood Park is a venue steeped in history and tradition.

So, the Riverside was renamed the Walker Steel how many people still call it the Riverside though, just about everyone on here.

Unless it is substantial monies, I'm talking in the millions, the name must remain Ewood Park.

This is a UK based messageboard.

Its "Smart Arse" thank you very much.

When in Rome and all that...

328028[/snapback]

When they rename it the England Wide Web and I have to type eww. then I'll consider it, till then play your fiddle as Rome burns. You have also contradicted your self since "smart ass" is an American slang term that was never in use in England when I lived there. So if you are going use slang from foreign countries at least spell the terms correctly, as they do. wink.gif

Now is that off topic or what.

Well off topic, and about 4 lines more of a response than my post merited, expected, or wanted.

On the same note, if I'm ever in Arizona, do I have to take everything with the strictest seriousness?

Edited by Tugay4England

'S all academic as far as I can tell.

First we have a skanky newspaper 'article' in the Mirror of all places.

Next we have supporters from all sides knocking shoite out of each other for the right to comment on whether a name change is a good or a bad thing.

Then we have a deafening silence from the club... and any potential sponsor wishing to put their moniker to the stadium.

Hmmm... methinks even there was interest in the proposition, I would need more than just a small fart in the rumour mill to convince me that there was something substantial in the pipeline - and if there is nothing substantial, then why don't we all just talk about something more real instead, just for a change?

Talk about fiddling whilst Rome burns! We simply cannot afford to be picky! I spoke with a source within the club (nobody famous) who informed me that to today 5 days after the 'claim your own seat' deadline that we have sold in the region of 6000-7000 season tickets! ohmy.gif I personally have also been shocked at the amount (and quality) of people who have told me that they are not renewing! It's sh1t considering the effort that Hughes & Co put into keeping us up given the quality of the players at his disposal. He's turned the club around and is being slapped in the face by the Blackburn public for his efforts. dry.gif

So what if we played defensively and didn't score many goals? Apart from one player who himself is no world beater there were sod-all goals in the strikers at his disposal! Fact! Forget all the recent mb arguements imo there has not been less talent and goal scoring potential in a forward line at BRFC for over 20 years!

Bothering about the piggin name of the ground whilst everything else is going down the pan is symptomatic of the stupid myopia, nostalgia and irrationality that impedes and fogs any clear and businesslike thought in most aspects of football business.

Edited by thenodrog

Just out of interest, has any existing ground ever been re-named.

The ones that I can think of have all been new ones.

Sunderland: Roker Park to the Stadium Of Light

Boro: Ayresome Park to The Riverside

Bolton: Burnden Park to The Reebok

Leicester Filbert Street to The Walkers Stadium

Hull: Boothferry Park to The KC Stadium

Stoke: Victoria Ground to The Brittania Stadium

Derby: Baseball Ground to Pride Park

Citah: Maine Road to The City Of Manchester Stadium

Reading: Elm Park to The Madejski Stadium.

Wigan: Springfield (D'oh) to the JJB

(I'm showing off a bit now)

So, has any existing ground been re-named?

The "Leavers Pie Stadium" has a certain portly ring to it, plus undertones of The Riverside disappearing before the final whistle (but that's probably best left alone.)

Bothering about the piggin name of the ground whilst everything else is going down the pan is symptomatic of the stupid myopia, nostalgia and irrationality that impedes and fogs any clear and businesslike thought in most aspects of football business.

328140[/snapback]

So where does it stop Theno? How much of the club's tradition do we sell in order to stay successful? Do we rename the ground? Maybe we should rename all the stands? Forget the Jack Walker stand, calling it that doesn't bring the cash in. Should we change the colour of the shirts to match the sponsors colours? Do we rename the team - to say the Blackburn Big Mac's FC? How far do we go?

Of course, I know that you don't give a toss about the tradition of the club. Christ, if you had your way there wouldn't even be a Blackburn Rovers, just some faceless combined Lancashire team that no-one would follow.

Money isn't everything, success isn't everything. If we have to sell our soul to be successful then sod success. Leave it to the corporate big shot teams who screw every last penny out of their fans.

Blackburn Rovers is special because it's a town team that has a fantastic history and tradition. Rovers don't have many competitive advantages these days but our history and tradition are one of them. Most clubs would kill for it. Renaming the ground may not affect that tradition too much, but where do we stop?

Well off topic, and about 4 lines more of a response than my post merited, expected, or wanted.

On the same note, if I'm ever in Arizona, do I have to take everything with the strictest seriousness?

328084[/snapback]

Is that a rhetorical question? Since I have been told by so many that Americans have no sense of humour. Why did you just assume I was being serious, perhaps my answer was lighthearted T4E, you English tch tch.

Is that a rhetorical question?  Since I have been told by so many that Americans have no sense of humour.  Why did you just assume I was being serious, perhaps my answer was lighthearted T4E, you English tch tch.

328147[/snapback]

He's Scottish. And he probably assumed it because you always seem serious and annoyed.

He's Scottish. And he probably assumed it because you always seem serious and annoyed.

328148[/snapback]

Scottish? Hah should have known explains a lot.

Are the figures I read here true? We have only moved 6-7000 Season tickets that is serious. Bloody poor do's Dingles have moved more. Me serious and annoyed, never mad.gif

328084[/snapback]

I would they are a bit weird out there tongue.gif . Still, at least there is no-one on this mb who comes from out that way...... biggrin.giftongue.gif

So where does it stop Theno?  How much of the club's tradition do we sell in order to stay successful?  Do we rename the ground? Maybe we should rename all the stands? Forget the Jack Walker stand, calling it that doesn't bring the cash in. Should we change the colour of the shirts to match the sponsors colours? Do we rename the team - to say the Blackburn Big Mac's FC?  How far do we go?

Of course, I know that you don't give a toss about the tradition of the club.  Christ, if you had your way there wouldn't even be a Blackburn Rovers, just some faceless combined Lancashire team that no-one would follow.

Money isn't everything, success isn't everything.  If we have to sell our soul to be successful then sod success.  Leave it to the corporate big shot teams who screw every last penny out of their fans.

Blackburn Rovers is special because it's a town team that has a fantastic history and tradition.  Rovers don't have many competitive advantages these days but our history and tradition are one of them.  Most clubs would kill for it.  Renaming the ground may not affect that tradition too much, but where do we stop?

328146[/snapback]

The entire Ewood Park that had any tradition associated with it was knocked down in the early 90's, and the only person who objected to that was the guy who had the body buried in the back yard on Nuttall Street. We'll all still call it Ewood, so what would we be giving up exactly? Traditionally we didn't spend 75% of our income on wages or buy players for $3m, so maybe a few other traditions need to be challenged to ensure we can keep on doing so.

The question isn't where do we stop, it should be where and when do we start. Given the size of our fanbase, to remain in the Prem league AND be self-sufficient means we have to seek new sources of finance. No-one has renamed an existing ground? Terrific! We'll be the first and get the best price going, because when the tenth club do it the price will have plummeted. And I would hope to see another ten initiatives come from our Supremo; 5 of them won't fly, three will earn beer money and hopefully one or two will surprise us.

I would they are a bit weird out there tongue.gif . Still, at least there is no-one on this mb who comes from out that way......  biggrin.gif  tongue.gif

328150[/snapback]

Hey!!! Abbey liked it here. Ooops doesn't do much for my case does it.

Maybe we should rename all the stands? Forget the Jack Walker stand, calling it that doesn't bring the cash in.

328146[/snapback]

Jack sold the family 'silver' including its name when the right price came along! How traditional is the Jack Walker and the Walkersteel stand anyway? 15 years ago and for a century or so before they were the Nuttal St Enclosure and the Riverside ffs. I'm obviously older than you Scotty. I lived through the decline of all small clubs in the 60's and imo there is so much similarity to today. Just think if sponsorhip could have saved the clubs demise then and the ground had been renamed the Edgar Pickering stadium, or similar, then how many now would rail against it being changed now? Wouldn't that be viewed as going against tradition by the younger fans? You know it would.

The less committed supporters are rapidly falling away again as they did then. Bitter criticism (largely unfounded) is being levelled at the club by many of those who used to pack the stands, I regularly attract ridicule for defending the clubs position! I can tell you that is certainly traditional in Blackburn! Just like after the 1960 FA cup the weaker supporters used failure as a reason to desert, and so it is now. Crikey being involved in a relegation battle to stay in the top level should actually be viewed as a storming success for our tiny club! But the weaker characters amongst us seem to think that we have failed and underachieved if we are not competing toe to toe with the like of MU and Chelsea. I hate that sneering ignorant attitude and it p1sses me off big time. These are the same people who bought themselves or their brats Lpool / MU shirts in the 70's and 80's. mad.gif

I want a successful and vibrant club punching its weight and competing with the best at the top level in this area without the need to depend on a benefactor. Whats wrong with that? We were only resurrected cos of JW no other reason, without him we would still be eating dirt in the football wilderness. Change is necessary in all things. Dinosaurs famously couldn't change with the requirements of the times and what happened to them? If you want tradition at the expense of success Scotty then you'd surely be happier supporting Accrington Stanley.

No-one has renamed an existing ground? Terrific!

I was only asking. It was just a passing question. A sort of sad statto thing.

I'll shuffle off back to my garrett and my lumpy & damp mattress smile.gif

Just out of interest, has any existing ground ever been re-named.

Off the top of my head;

Bradford City renamed Valley Parade to The Bradford and Bingley Stadium during their time in The Premier League following sponsorship from the local Building Society (not sure if they have changed it back since, though).

York City renamed Bootham Crescent last season to The Kit-Kat Stadium (the rather splendid confectionary being produced in the city by Nestle/Rowntree).

....and of course Seamer Road, Scarborough has been The McCain Stadium for several years now (again, local sponsorship, this time the makers of oven chips and pizzas).

It may just be a Yorkshire thing of course, but I can't think of any southern grounds to have made a switch.

I personally have also been shocked at the amount (and quality) of people who have told me that they are not renewing!  It's sh1t considering the effort that Hughes & Co put into keeping us up given the quality of the players at his disposal.  He's turned the club around and is being slapped in the face by the Blackburn public for his efforts.

328140[/snapback]

This name change discussion is pretty irrelevant when it all originates from a three line article in a red top rag that is not exactly renowned for the truth (sorry that should be accurate reporting?)

theno - are those you know who won't renew judging Hughes, the club or the players? I've renewed, I imagine I always will, but for the first time I didn't want to. I'm dreading next season as I see nothing ahead of us but the same crap we have watched for the last two years. I'm not going to criticise Kugi because I assume Hughes knows a striker when he sees one but I can't be the only person wondering why Ipswich let a 20 goal striker go on a free? This is the only change we appear to have made and it isn't going to set Blackburn on fire.

Expectations are so high now, I'm guilty of that. Why? Simple pay footballer a £1m plus a season and EVERYONE demands a performance, and rightly so. The players' attitude over the last couple of seasons stinks and Rovers fans are showing their disapproval. If it isn't their attitude one must presume collectively the team is not good enough for the PL which makes Hughes' achievement even greater,

Regretably most fans turn up to support a team, not a manager.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.