BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Citeh To Sack Barton?

Apparently the big news tomorrow will be that City are preparing to sack their former England Under 21 midfielder Joey Barton following an incident on their Asian tour. He was lucky to get away with a 6 week fine after his incident when he put a lit cigar into the eye of a youth team 'keeper...however, this time he must have surely crossed the line.

The Times' report on the incident.

A similar story has been reported by almost every credible source without any denial from the club, so I'll be very suprised if this turns out to be false. I hope the FA slap a ban on him to prevent him returning to the Premiership straight away, hitting a 15 year old kid then attacking a team-mate trying to calm him down must surely rank amongst the worst incidents in recent times by a Premiership player.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't bothered to read a whole lot on the incident, but that firsthand report has me completely stunned at Barton's idiocy. Amazing how such a once-promising young player has such little control over himself. Hitting the boy was bad enough, but attacking his good friend who tried to intervene? Despicable behavior if I've ever seen it.

If he is sacked, whichever club picks him up is dealing with a public relations nightmare on a Bowyer-esque level.

I hadn't bothered to read a whole lot on the incident, but that firsthand report has me completely stunned at Barton's idiocy.  Amazing how such a once-promising young player has such little control over himself.  Hitting the boy was bad enough, but attacking his good friend who tried to intervene?  Despicable behavior if I've ever seen it.

If he is sacked, whichever club picks him up is dealing with a public relations nightmare on a Bowyer-esque level.

334343[/snapback]

Ijust hope and pray that no-one on this board is going to suggest that Rovers should go for him!! ph34r.gif

Apparently the big news tomorrow will be that City are preparing to sack their former England Under 21 midfielder Joey Barton following an incident on their Asian tour.  He was lucky to get away with a 6 week fine after his incident when he put a lit cigar into the eye of a youth team 'keeper...however, this time he must have surely crossed the line.

The Times' report on the incident.

What a load of sensationalist tripe that article is.

"Fighting is baaaad little ones."

Barton is an utter plank though, hopefully City will take the hardline and sack the vile little ned.

What, no one on here can think of a 15 year old who's deserved a smack.

What Barton is done is quite stupid for a man in his position. If it is anyone else it just a 22 year old chinning a gobby 15 year old. What irks me is that these players have the world at their feet, all they have to do is turn the other cheek for a few years and they are made up for life. I guess some folks just don't know what is good for them.

Storm in a teacup imo.

1. The kid by giving cheek and kicking Barton was asking for a slap....... and thats what he got and not a punch.

2. Barton had had a few drinks by the sound of it.

3. Dunne whilst trying to restrain Barton got his finger bitten.

Bit of a spat buyt hardly GBH is it?

I rem 2/3 mates of mine were always causing fights when they had had a few drinks. Always the same ones, and always off drink. Problem was that they invariably dragged their mates into it.

Strange stuff alcohol, some people become more relaxed off it whilst some people (about 20% imo) become aggressive.

Those 20% are also the reason for our drink drive laws because they were the ones that always crashed their car when p1ssed up.

Storm in a teacup imo. 

1.  The kid by giving cheek and kicking Barton was asking for a slap....... and thats what he got and not a punch.

2.  Barton had had a few drinks by the sound of it.

3.  Dunne whilst trying to restrain Barton got his finger bitten.

Bit of a spat buyt hardly GBH is it?

I rem 2/3 mates of mine were always causing fights when they had had a few drinks.  Always the same ones, and always off drink.  Problem was that they invariably dragged their mates into it. 

Strange stuff alcohol, some people become more relaxed off it whilst  some people (about 20% imo) become aggressive. 

Those 20% are also the reason for our drink drive laws because they were the ones that always crashed their car when p1ssed up.

334520[/snapback]

It's a while since I've dealt with any criminal work, but it does sound like GBH to me. ABH deals with very minor assaults. Any actual physical damage can get it upgraded to GBH(the finger, I'm thinking). Like I said it's a long while since I dealt with any criminal stuff, though, and my memory isn't what it was.

Turning to the stuff about drink driving I've got to say I'm absolutely astounded. Do you really think that only people who have a tendency to get aggressive when they are drunk have their reactions and perceptions dulled by alcohol?

Agro drunks annoy me greatly, though, and Barton seems to fit in that mould. He seems like a thug and these incidents do all seem to be alcohol fuelled.

334520[/snapback]

Yeah, if it weren't for the aggressive lot it would be totally safe to drive your car around when you've had too much to drink. blink.gif

Barton was away representing his club (ie his employers), and starts a ruck.

I'm sure my employers wouldn't have regarded it as a storm in a teacup.

The guy obviously doesn't have any composure, and sounds a bit dangerous if you ask me (eg stubbing out a cigar on someone's face).

This incident reminds me of something said by a psychologist on a recent TV program made by Alan Hansen. The bloke said that many footballers havent emotionally developed from being children because they are taken on by clubs at a young age, cossetted, have everything done for them, and dont face the usual challenges of adulthood. Basically, they are spoilt brats.

Barton's behaviour this time and previously at the City Xmas party jabbing a lit cigar into a colleague's eye sounds like the behaviour of a child, certainly not an adult. Any normal grown adult being gauded by a gobby 15 yr old would laugh at the little sod and walk away.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.