BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

1. You sound as if you disapprove of that policy Simon. :huh:

2. Correct! You are indeed spot on there..............The match in the middle of February is just outside Cologne. :lol:

1) Always have done.................. and as a result the horse has now bolted!

2) Apologies if I'm wrong, thought the home leg was circa the 22nd of Feb! :P

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing North American sports do well is in maintaining traditions - even though they have had less time to develop them in the first place.

What, like Thursday night football? A whole 2 months old. Or College Football almost every night of the week? Television is changing sports schedules everywhere and attendance dips will follow.

It was 3 p.m. boxing day, always a one off, always decent crowds nationwide, always lots of exiled fans from other parts of the country home for christmas,

I think this bit about exiles returning for Christmas is probably more relevant to Blackburn Rovers than for any other Premier League club. Blackburn is a particularly poor town and people seem to move in their droves after finishing education. There are not many of my school year left in the area but many come home to visit family at Christmas. The population of Blackburn has hardly changed over decades so logically, with a large immigrant population, an equal number of the indigenous people must live elsewhere.

Edited by Wiggy

There was a larger than usual number of ethnic minorities in the FS...............and yes they did have blue and white on ;)

I didn't notice anything different in the Riverside. The only time we were mowed out with citizens of IndoPak descent was v Man Utd! Odd cos they used to be deemed a 'catholic club'! I guess it will not be long before that description becomes widely amended. :ph34r: :lol:

There was an "IndoPak" family in front of us in the BBE Upper too. The system works! Looked to have a fairly decent time (hopefully).

One thing I wondered about failing to retain the casual and/or new fan is the pessimistic attitude of the fans. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not for a second suggesting we quieten down/lighten up/appease new people, but there was a little girl near me who looked terrified every time the guy next to me screamed "ARGH! NEILL! YOU'RE ###### AND YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN ######!". If we ignore the fact that that's slightly frightening for a small child, it hardly "advertises" the football at Ewood. Especially if, as happened, Lucas wasn't playing too badly.

Just a point. Nothing we can really change, just thought it might be a factor. There are always terrible negative vibes around here, even when we're doing well. Perhaps we should all vow to wait until something good happens - Peter going on a mazy dribble or something - and shouting "Great play that!" before nudging the new fan near us and saying (with a cheeky wink) "...again".

I guarantee we'll be getting 29,000 every game if that starts happening.

What, like Thursday night football? A whole 2 months old. Or College Football almost every night of the week? Television is changing sports schedules everywhere and attendance dips will follow.

They are, but and maybe will continue down the same road, but overall I think major league sports make more of traditions. Thinking of the Toronto Maple Leafs: no green and yellow sponsors logo on the famous Blue and White, old players highlighted every game, retired jerseys in the rafters, an opening video steeped in the history, national anthem before the game, players out in the community, players wives charirty organisation etc etc, plenty of grudge matches vs the Flyers, Bruins, Canadiens and our recent nemesis, the Sens, pantomime villains like Brashear - much more of an atmospheric experience than a visit to Ewood these days.

Football has turned suppoprters into spectators - the difference being the passion which consists of history, traditions, and emotions; all of which are conspicuous by their absence. 3pm Boxing Day is virtually the only semblance of any tradition left. We have a greater history than virtually anyone, yet you wouldn't know it by attending a game at Ewood.

If it's special on Boxing Day then surely it's pretty damn special when we're in the last 32 of European Competition!

Special for those of us who already bleed blue and white, but not very special to the occasional supporter. Last 8, maybe, last 4 certainly. But last 32 is only the equivalent of the 4th round of the FA Cup. Who plays for Bayer Leverkusen? If they were playing in my back garden, I'd probably shut the curtains.

On Boxing Day, no-one had anything to do, many had the whole week off, and probably had many fond memories of Boxing Day matches from the past. 3-2 at t'Turd, even trips to Halifax seemed a lot more special than any other games.

If the outcome is wide open after the first leg, I'd hope we get a lot nearer 20,000 than 10,000, but without 8,000 Scousers, it'll still be half empty.

They are, but and maybe will continue down the same road, but overall I think major league sports make more of traditions. Thinking of the Toronto Maple Leafs: no green and yellow sponsors logo on the famous Blue and White, old players highlighted every game, retired jerseys in the rafters, an opening video steeped in the history, national anthem before the game, players out in the community, players wives charirty organisation etc etc, plenty of grudge matches vs the Flyers, Bruins, Canadiens and our recent nemesis, the Sens, pantomime villains like Brashear - much more of an atmospheric experience than a visit to Ewood these days.

Can't forget the biggest Leafs tradition of all... Bitching and moaning that the world is against you. Actually, that's kinda like Rovers fans as well... :ph34r:

I went to a Sens v Rangers about 3 weeks ago and really enjoyed the whole event. The game wasn't up to much, 3-1 to Rangers. I loved the build up to the game and the anthems etc. they do the cheesy stuff so well, when ever football trys it it just seems crap.

OK it's Boxing Day so there's a tradition - but surely those who came down and paid £36 to watch the Rovers because it's Boxing Day will pop back when we play Leverkusen?!??

If it's special on Boxing Day then surely it's pretty damn special when we're in the last 32 of European Competition!

So you're advocating a Cat A+++++ pricing policy for the Leverkusen game , then Tris ? :huh:

Personally I think it should be! I may be a minority here amongst so many narrow backs but when in our long history have we ever been in this far in a European competition? And imo there is a damned good chance that we might well never be likely to do so again in our lifetime?

Thats why I would have gone to Saltzberg but for work commitments so I reluctantly missed out so after going to Krakow for 3 days I am now off to Cologne for similar and I can assure you that a piffling Cat A ticket is sod all in comparison.

Well , that's an opinion and you're entitled to express it , Drog :)

And no doubt you'd be one of the 10,000 or so who'd be able to have bragging rights on seeing the game .....

I'd prefer to be in a larger crowd who may be able to give the Mighty Blues the edge to win the game ;)

I just caught the end of some Football League initiative on Talksport tonight, the catchphrase being something like "real football for real people"

I think it said tickets were 2 quid and 5 quid and by way of example the first time it was done at Oldham the gate was 9500 and the second time 12000 - which I suspect is 2-3 times the normal gate.

Like I say I only caught the end of it, does anyone know anything definite about it?

With Rovers also having to do what they're doing, looks like a sense of reality is creeping back into football?

Right Fife lets all pretend that diminished spending power through higher taxation amongst the working population of Blackburn and surrounding districts does not matter at all and will not make one jot or iota of a difference to the attendances at Ewood Park. <_<

Buckets of sand all round then eh? :wstu:

Oh Dear!! What on EARTH is he on about now? :huh:

I didn't notice anything different in the Riverside. The only time we were mowed out with citizens of IndoPak descent was v Man Utd! Odd cos they used to be deemed a 'catholic club'! I guess it will not be long before that description becomes widely amended. :ph34r: :lol:

Well Theno, don't forget that the word"catholic" means "universal" B)

Try reading a little slower Fife. ;)

Steady on Theno; I am already a day behind as it stands! :rolleyes:

<Thats why I would have gone to Saltzberg but for work commitments so I reluctantly missed out so after going to Krakow for 3 days I am now off to Cologne for similar and I can assure you that a piffling Cat A ticket is sod all in comparison.> Thenodrog

Not sure whether I'll get a ticket for the match or not but this is THE definitive European trip to go on (it'll even beat Glasgow next May!). Everyone seems to be staying in Cologne (myself included) but Dusseldorf is a darn fine night out during Karneval, particularly for mild and brown ale afficionados!

Glad you're on your way to Germany too 'drog, hope it isn't too boisterous for you though...you seem a bit sensitive to unruly behaviour at times and we are heading there for the start of the Drei tolle Tage (three crazy days). Bear in mind that Cologne will be being governed by jesters, fools, and an assortment of nutters - there will be a Bacchanalian revelry on a massive scale. That said, Riversiders will probably feel particularly at ease!

(Soz if this is in the wrong thread)

PS Fife, I appreciate where you are coming from on the yob confrontation angle

Edited by Billinge End Blue

Oh Dear!! What on EARTH is he on about now? :huh:

It's simple Fife the government is responsible for everything wrong with Blackburn, including taxation. There is a direct correlation between rising taxes and falling PL attendances. Personally I'm convinced and will vote for the party introducing ethnic cleansing, criminal deportation, lower taxation, speed camera abolition, and mass sterilisation for those who cannot trace their ancestry to King Harold.

The consequent demand for tickets at Ewood will force John Williams to triple ST prices, quadruple matchday admission and build a new stadium for the reserves, who will be re-named Lancashire United, playing in front of sellout crowds. The introduction of Lancashire border passport controls ensures those attempting to travel to Manchester/Liverpool on home matchdays will be offered the choice of purchasing an ST or 12 months imprisonment, repeat offences will result in flogging or, in the case of serial offenders, hanging.

The ground will be full, everyone is smiling, end of attendance thread. ;)

It's simple Fife the government is responsible for everything wrong with Blackburn, including taxation. There is a direct correlation between rising taxes and falling PL attendances. Personally I'm convinced and will vote for the party introducing ethnic cleansing, criminal deportation, lower taxation, speed camera abolition, and mass sterilisation for those who cannot trace their ancestry to King Harold.

The consequent demand for tickets at Ewood will force John Williams to triple ST prices, quadruple matchday admission and build a new stadium for the reserves, who will be re-named Lancashire United, playing in front of sellout crowds. The introduction of Lancashire border passport controls ensures those attempting to travel to Manchester/Liverpool on home matchdays will be offered the choice of purchasing an ST or 12 months imprisonment, repeat offences will result in flogging or, in the case of serial offenders, hanging.

The ground will be full, everyone is smiling, end of attendance thread. ;)

:tu::lol::rolleyes:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.