SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Zurab Khizanishvilli

colin

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an injury in defence does occur, then Mokoena captained his national side at centre back and he would feel comfortable playing there.

Mokoena is a woeful centre back. It would appear that Hughes sees him as his spoiler who'll come in and tighten up a game in midfield but that leaves open the risk that he'll have to come in and play in defence if one of the back four suffer an injury.

I have maintained that Mokoena is not good enough for Rovers and I stick to it even though he won a lot of people over last season. Imo Zura should be ahead in the pecking order as utility man - even if he's not got the pace of the Axe.

Mokoena is a woeful centre back. It would appear that Hughes sees him as his spoiler who'll come in and tighten up a game in midfield but that leaves open the risk that he'll have to come in and play in defence if one of the back four suffer an injury.

I have maintained that Mokoena is not good enough for Rovers and I stick to it even though he won a lot of people over last season. Imo Zura should be ahead in the pecking order as utility man - even if he's not got the pace of the Axe.

On what basis?! What have you ever seen of Zurab to suggest that he can operate as a defensive midfielder? I'd much rather take the risk on a defender getting injured than limit our options elsewhere.

That substitute position would be used far more often by a player adept at playing in midfield than one playing in defence. For now, I don't believe that Zurab is up to the job of central midfield, and to have him on the bench would limit our attacking options as we'd still need Mokoena there to shut up shop when we were in the lead.

• 5 months later...
Really pleased Zura has signed his contract committing himself to Rovers to 2011.

As am I philip. I really like Zurab - and personally would have him playing along with Samba at the moment. For a club our size to have a fourth choice centre half (as he seems to be) as good as him is a real bonus.

I have always rated Zurab. Classy defender, who has played well on the majority of occasions when asked.

However, to reach his full potential, he needs a long run of games in the Premiership. I was about to say, which he will never get. But with Nelsen out for a while, he should get a chance.

Very please with him signing a new deal.

For a club of a our stature, we're very lucky that we have someone of his quality who's happy to be 4th choice and not moan and disrupt at not being selected.

Spot on.

I have always rated Zurab. Classy defender, who has played well on the majority of occasions when asked.

However, to reach his full potential, he needs a long run of games in the Premiership. I was about to say, which he will never get. But with Nelsen out for a while, he should get a chance.

That will depend on wether Ooijer plays right back or not...

I think he will. We need to shape up defensively and Ooijer is better at defending than Brett is. I thought Bert did a good job in central midfield as well, so until we sign another midfielder he could perhaps be used there when needed?

I think he will. We need to shape up defensively and Ooijer is better at defending than Brett is. I thought Bert did a good job in central midfield as well, so until we sign another midfielder he could perhaps be used there when needed?

He's the kind of athlete we need in central midfield, but whether he can play there full time is another matter.

• 1 year later...

It makes sense - he isnt great and we have enough cover.

Centre back - Samba, Nelsen, Zurab, Chimbonda - possibly even Salgado.

Get him off the wages I say - especially if they want to pay us a fee too - it might be the difference between a loan signing and none in January to help our push.

Also being linked to a 17 year old from Derry in the Sun.............

Guess Nelsen can't be far away from coming back.

Nelsen's fit to play a part in New Zealand's game tomorrow night:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/2845...es-Jordan-clash

On Zurab ... I always thought of him as a very good squad man, didn't complain too much and filled in admirably when played in his preferred centre half slot.

although as someone mentioned earlier, if getting rid means that we have more scope for deals in january, then I'm all for it.

Roll on saturday ... I'm feeling good about it!!

Nicko reporting Zura moving to Boro

I think this is a terrible move. I really rate Zura and believe we need him as back-up.

I honestly think we can do without his 8 appearances per season, the money saved on wages will be far more important. He seems to make mistakes whenever he plays nowadays as well.

With Samba, Nelsen, Givet and Chimbonda all here, it would take a pretty terrible injury crisis for him to get a look in. Jacobsen looks like he could play there in an emergency too.

Nicko reporting Zura moving to Boro

I think this is a terrible move. I really rate Zura and believe we need him as back-up.

The clubs have been speaking for a couple of days and this should happen.

Zurab is on big wages and in the current climate he probably needs to be off the payroll...I understand the amount of who pays what is the final hurdle here.

It's cheaper than buying St.Ledger, so Boro think it makes good sense.

Rovers should have enough cover with all of the defenders at the club now.

The clubs have been speaking for a couple of days and this should happen.

Zurab is on big wages and in the current climate he probably needs to be off the payroll...I understand the amount of who pays what is the final hurdle here.

It's cheaper than buying St.Ledger, so Boro think it makes good sense.

Rovers should have enough cover with all of the defenders at the club now.

Nicko, what do you understand his wages to be?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.