BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Background Story On Nelsen

jkritchey

Hughes obviously saw something in him that the "great" Alan Curbishley failed to pick up on. We did not just sign him on a recommendation, we gave him a trial did'nt we?

You must have Hughes mixed up with Souness, our Graeme liked to splash the cash on a recommendation or a 10 min video.

Arsenal would be a worry, what player worth his salt would not want a crack at that.

Apparently, Curbs didn't even watch Nelsen. Some of his management staff ran the rule over him but thought him not worth pursuing.

The reason I say we got lucky with Nelsen is because I believe he did only come to Rovers for a trial on an agent's recommendation. Very much like Jorge Acuna at the moment, whose situation John Williams compared to with Ryan Nelsen's in the LET very recently. Basically, when a player reaches the end of his contract, the agency ring around various clubs that they have an agreement with and offer the player for trial.

Rovers took up the option and thank God for that. (And thanks for the short-sightedness of members of Curbs' backroom staff, I hope they were equally negligent in letting Jason Brown go as a youngster).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he did!

*is a proud Stanford Rover*

I visited Palo Alto and Stanford a year or two ago when Mrs. Danlad was doing some research. What a fabulous place! Made me think of emigrating!*

* Only possible due to Mrs. Danlad's smarts!

I lived in Palo Alto for a while because of my dads studies and it certainly was a great place to be. Though I believe Nelsen was a transfer, which means it could have been for sporting reasons, I don't doubt that he is a bright man though.

Charlton probably passed on Nelsen because he can't do the 100m in 11 seconds and doesn't come out of defence with the ball pretenting to be Franz Beckenbauer. For some reason, whether a defender can actually defend seems to be last on peoples' lists nowadays. Luckily for us Hughesy is old-school in that respect.

With yesterdays LET suggesting that Nelsen wont be match fit by the Pompey game, it's starting to seem like Nelsen is turning into a bit of a crock. He pulled his hamstring about 3 times during last season along with already this pre-sason while recovering from breaking a bone in his leg! :(

Not looking to good for him and us.

With yesterdays LET suggesting that Nelsen wont be match fit by the Pompey game, it's starting to seem like Nelsen is turning into a bit of a crock. He pulled his hamstring about 3 times during last season along with already this pre-sason while recovering from breaking a bone in his leg! :(

Not looking to good for him and us.

Maybe this is why Hughes is so intent on acquiring another centre half? I know we'd need four quality CB's if we are to compete on all fronts, however I couldn't see Todd and Zura being prepared to sit on the bench or worse-not even in the 16.

Rovers have said that Nelsen definitely wont travel to Holland...we desperately need him to be fit for the Pompey game.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.