BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Never Mind Sacked!

I often wonder about that myself. He was always controversial, (maybe he was banned) but there was a lot of sense in what he posted and the board is poorer for his absence.

Just guesssing and I might be wrong but the usual suspects in the posse were ganging up on him pretty heavily in what were obviously organised attacks. I've a feeling something similar must have occurred with Blue Phil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12682897

This daft pillock is right up there with Dougie Smith... the scottish ref who booked Gazza for the very serious charge of being funny on a football pitch! http://www.onthisfootballday.com/football-history/december-30-gazza-books-the-ref.php

These blokes should have a four letter slang word for a vagina tattood on their foreheads before being deported to somewhere deadly dangerous at the very least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Tdn_AYe6k

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12682897

This daft pillock is right up there with Dougie Smith... the scottish ref who booked Gazza for the very serious charge of being funny on a football pitch! http://www.onthisfootballday.com/football-history/december-30-gazza-books-the-ref.php

These blokes should have a four letter slang word for a vagina tattood on their foreheads before being deported to somewhere deadly dangerous at the very least.

No ref. No Game.

What about this then..........ref forced to brandish 'invisible yellow card' :lol::lol:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I haven't seen it on this thread or Other PL happenings.

EDIT: And I can't see the youtube videos on here because I'm on a computer at work ;)

Edited by RIML

Chalk up Ashby at Ewood Park, 1994 vs Manchester United. Berg wins the ball from Sharp, and amazingly is given a penalty against him and sent off. Crazy.

That's happened to numerous players over the years. The way I recall it, what made that particular one so ludicrous was that if anything, Berg was fouled by Sharp. Or at least that it was a 50-50.

All time Rovers refereeing cockup for me is -that- West Ham goal that never was. I forget the year. But disallowable on about 5 or 6 counts, yet both the ref and linesman missed them all. What are the odds?

• 4 weeks later...

Managers should be banned from making public statement about refs and decision on the pitch. In the end they are human and make mistakes. I believe they dolisten to what managers say in their post match statement and are intimidated by certain, high profile managers. It must be hard to go to Old Trafford and The Emerates etc. and not be overwelmed sometimes.

N'Zonzi given a straight red for competing strongly for the ball as any midfielder should whilst Vidic yet again appears to be completely immune from being shown the red card.

:angry:

The reaction of the weak gooner caused Nzonzi the red card .

The reaction of the weak gooner caused Nzonzi the red card .

Plus the fact that N'Zonzi got up and apologised. If he'd stayed down and feigned injury the chances are that the ref would have decided knock for knock. Strange decision when N'Zonzi was in possession and the challenger was the Arsenal player.

There was another baffling refereeing incident in the Arsenal game.

Rovers break through midfield towards the edge of the area. Dowd blows up as Song is down on floor holding his leg. Result, bounce up - normally in these situations Arsenal would give the ball back to Rovers, but no it was contested. Rovers win possesion, Dowd blows again and then re-takes bounce up - Arsenal win that one, so its play-on now.

• 11 months later...

Credit where it's due. The German refereeing the match between Chelsea and Napoli tonight was superb. No coincidence that the match was such an exciting spectacle.

So just what makes the plonkers with the whistles in this country so keen to use them to the detriment of entertainment, the spectacle and the game itself? It never used to be like this.

Credit where it's due. The German refereeing the match between Chelsea and Napoli tonight was superb. No coincidence that the match was such an exciting spectacle.

So just what makes the plonkers with the whistles in this country so keen to use them to the detriment of entertainment, the spectacle and the game itself? It never used to be like this.

I dunno, perhaps you'd have some insight if you'd ever bothered to pick up the whistle and have a go yourself? It isn't easy, but it is much easier for people on the sidelines to criticise.. And I would say that there is no referee in this country who deliberately goes out to spoil the spectacle of a game - the players are to blame by and large for that, with referees (often under observation by the FA) having to apply the laws of the game to the incidents that they perceive to have taken place.

Agreed the refereeing was good for the Chelski Napoli game, although there were still some baffling decisions (such as Drogba getting wrestled to the ground right in front of the goal-line official (clear penalty IMO) and nothing given). Another baffling one was Drogba's dramatic throwing of himself to the ground as if poleaxed by an arm to the face - tv coverage clearly showed no contact at all, and Drogba opening one eye to gauge reaction & see if he'd got away with it. Unsporting behaviour at it's finest. Tosser

But then when you compare the likes of Howard Webb (a man content at letting the game flow by simply not giving decisions) and Collina, you can see the thing is to be a good referee, playing by the rules and employing consistency whilst actually being good at your job and knowing what is a foul and what is not, rather than simply not blowing their whistles. I do take your point though, Premiership referees give far too many fouls simply by guessing or due to prejudice against certain teams or pressure. It's a hard job but you can't help but feel our lot aren't much cop.

Must have been mentioned, but who was the ref in the Rovers V West Ham game, when Tevez "scored" a goal when he was offside and the ball never actually went in?

The linesman was Jim Devine and that decision was down to him. I feel sympathy for refs continually taking the rap for poor decisions made by their assistants.

Agreed the refereeing was good for the Chelski Napoli game, although there were still some baffling decisions (such as Drogba getting wrestled to the ground right in front of the goal-line official (clear penalty IMO) and nothing given). Another baffling one was Drogba's dramatic throwing of himself to the ground as if poleaxed by an arm to the face - tv coverage clearly showed no contact at all, and Drogba opening one eye to gauge reaction & see if he'd got away with it. Unsporting behaviour at it's finest. Tosser

Drogba's reputation must work against him.... and if it doesn't it damned well should. He's a con man and the people he con's most are referees. As such he would get absolutely nowt from me if I had the whitle (although no doubt I'd get in bother with the refereeing authorities). Wouldn't be completely right of course but it would put an end to his antics. The end would justify the means cos aside from his antics he really is one hell of a talent.

Edited by thenodrog

Must have been mentioned, but who was the ref in the Rovers V West Ham game, when Tevez "scored" a goal when he was offside and the ball never actually went in?

I was told at the last home match it was Howard Webb-and my friend has never rated him since.

Can't agree- that goal was offside and never crossed the line, and those are the linesman's job to spot, but there was also a foul or two, and a handball, and the ref didn't spot those either. Whoever was responsible, that is the single most illegal goal I ever saw.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but if Andre Marriner can't see a blatant trip from 5/6 yards away with direct sight of the incident then he should be sent back to refereeing park football for the rest of his career.... and that would be unfair to park footballers!

Yak doing his normal stuff should have seen us 1-0 up yet within minutes we went 1-0 down. Who knows how going behind so early might have affected the Boltoin players? Marriners ineptidude changed the game and imo was a massive influence on the result and possibly the relegation battle. That was a game we didn't necessarily have to win but it was one we dare not lose. Cos of that idiot's inability we lost.

Sorry but if Andre Marriner can't see a blatant trip from 5/6 yards away with direct sight of the incident then he should be sent back to refereeing park football for the rest of his career.... and that would be unfair to park footballers!

Yak doing his normal stuff should have seen us 1-0 up yet within minutes we went 1-0 down. Who knows how going behind so early might have affected the Boltoin players? Marriners ineptidude changed the game and imo was a massive influence on the result and possibly the relegation battle. That was a game we didn't necessarily have to win but it was one we dare not lose. Cos of that idiot's inability we lost.

Singing songs in adulation about one our players taking a dive, wont in any way, help our cause for future penalty claims.

Edited by JAL

There was lots of talk about how the emotion/occasion etc would affect the players, but the person seemingly most affected by it all was the ref. Too scared to give a penalty against Bolton, or to book any of their players (despite the most blatent 'kicking the ball away' incident you'll ever see).

It was almost as though he believed a big decision against them would set back Muamba's recovery or something

• Moderation Lead

There was lots of talk about how the emotion/occasion etc would affect the players, but the person seemingly most affected by it all was the ref. Too scared to give a penalty against Bolton, or to book any of their players (despite the most blatent 'kicking the ball away' incident you'll ever see).

It was almost as though he believed a big decision against them would set back Muamba's recovery or something

I thought the exact same. I would say he's one of the worst refs, but I can't even think of a good one.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.