BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Never Mind Sacked!

Just not surprised. When Mourinho first came to the Premiership the media were all smiles and brown-nosing. But now, as always, they're the first to stick the knife in what is a successful manager. But of course they always do to those that dare to speak out.

It would be _very_ difficult to prove that Mourihno used the words towards the ref. It's like the phrase "son of a bitch", it could just be a random curse at the world. Hence no action, I think.

How ironic is this? 'Devine' intervention for LUFC.

http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geul5Whf1FD...82%26story=1460

Enough has been said about the awful decisions made by the ref and his criminally incompetant linesman yesterday but the penalty raises a problem imo. Tevez was 'nicked' by Emertons trailing foot yesterday, recovered and then slipped according to Lawrenson's post match analysis of the incident on MoTD, unfortunately this is the 3rd time that we have been the victim of strange refereeing over these incidents. Lucas Neill was sent off with a straight red against Lpool for making contact with Jamie Carragher with his trailing foot and Tugay saw red and conceded a penalty for a similar tackle of Tottenhams Ghaly. The FA have outlawed two footed slide tackles so just what is a player meant to do with his non tackling leg? It can only be tucked underneath the player when tackling, this by definition means that no intent can be attached to the player so why are such incidents punished so severely?

The fact that the vast majority of ref's have never kicked a ball in anger in their lives contributes massively to their frustrating lack of understanding of football imo.

Edited by thenodrog

as i sit here thinking about the game 2 days ago, and after having watched it live on tv....i am still at a loss to except the decisions and get on with it. as i have said, maybe in this thread in the past or in other threads....when are refs and linesmen going to be held totally accountable for absolutely blatent (Please don't use that word again) ups....as we all saw on saturday evening??

it is ok for these two to get up for work the following morning and have nobody to answer to, but what about the players and the manager, whom at the end of the day are all held accountable and must answer to somebody. i am convinced that this has cost us a shot at the top 6 now. there is simply too much at stake for goal line techonology not to be brought in!!

Mighty odd situation last night at both semi finals.

1. Carvalho was adjudged to have brought Berbatov down when he was clean through on goal but no red card was shown.

2. Rooney gripped Boro's Morrison at the back of his neck causing an affray amongst the players, the ref reached for his cards then obviously remembered that Boy Wonder was already on a yellow and promptly changed his mind.

I'll wager neither ref gets carpeted. The age old gripe that there is one law for big clubs and another for the rest was proven again last night.

Edited by thenodrog

Mighty odd situation last night at both semi finals.

1. Carvalho was adjudged to have brought Berbatov down when he was clean through on goal but no red card was shown.

2. Rooney gripped Boro's Morrison at the back of his neck causing an affray amongst the players, the ref reached for his cards then obviously remembered that Boy Wonder was already on a yellow and promptly changed his mind.

I'll wager neither ref gets carpeted. The age old gripe that there is one law for big clubs and another for the rest was proven again last night.

You missed one Theno:

3. Ronaldo went down in the area because the wind blew him over and the ref gave pen.

The age old gripe that there is one law for big clubs and another for the rest was proven again last night.

Yup, you'd have to be a blind man on a galloping horse not to have sussed that one out.

It's one law for the "big four" and another for the other sixteen though imo. There's no specific vendetta again Blackburn Rovers as Souness used to allude to in the past, and others have hinted at whenever we get a couple of bad decisions.

There's no specific vendetta again Blackburn Rovers as Souness used to allude to in the past, and others have hinted at whenever we get a couple of bad decisions.

More an unlevel playing field between the big guys and the rest, Rev.

Edited by den

Can anyone verfiy this stat? If it is true, then it is a shocking statistic indeed.

And here is an interesting stat. The number of penalties given to opposing teams at Old Trafford is four. Four penalties. And that is not this year. This is since the Premiership began. In 1992. So four penalties in 16 years. But the referees are not biased or influenced or anything.

Source: http://www.football365.com/mailbox/story/0...2005122,00.html

Can anyone verfiy this stat? If it is true, then it is a shocking statistic indeed.

Source: http://www.football365.com/mailbox/story/0...2005122,00.html

Worse than that Dunny missed one of them when Cole was floored by the keeper who was last man! Even more biased it was saved by the same bloody keeper after the ref deciding / (not daring) not to send him off. :angry:

just looking at this and how it would work in footy ...2 challenges per team each half,for say balls over lines,pens(giving benefit to defence) diving etc.

Replay now permanent in NFL

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer

March 28, 2007

AP - Mar 27, 8:14 pm EDT

More Photos

PHOENIX (AP) -- Coaches throwing challenge flags and referees sticking their heads in hoods will remain NFL fixtures. Forever.

On Tuesday, instant replay as an officiating tool became a permanent part of pro football.

"Instant replay is an accepted part of the game. It's what we are," said Atlanta Falcons general manager Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee that recommended the change. "There was not really much discussion about it."

League owners voted 30-2, with Cincinnati and Arizona dissenting. All but three stadiums will be equipped with high-definition equipment and will be recabled before the upcoming season, at a cost of as much as $300,000 per club. The stadiums being replaced in Irving, Texas, Indianapolis and East Rutherford, N.J., will not get the updates.

McKay, once a staunch opponent of replay, has gone full circle, as have most owners.

"People like myself, I was an opponent of the old system, when the eye in the sky decided which play to review," he said. "As the system was enhanced, with a limited system of challenges, a lot more became comfortable with how it operates. It's not too obtrusive with our game and it does not slow down games.

"I think coaches are more comfortable with it. They were hesitant with the challenge system, and I think they've become more comfortable."

With replay out of the way, another controversial topic -- overtime -- will be addressed on Wednesday. In part, at least.

McKay was not optimistic that the recommendation to move the kickoff for overtime from the 30-yard line to the 35 would pass. He said some people were concerned about the effect on the return game, and that a group of owners would favor a mandatory two-possession overtime in which each team gets the ball once.

That has not been proposed, however. Nor has any system similar to the college overtimes, or a continuation of the game from where it ended after four quarters.

"I'm bothered by the stats with respect to overtime," McKay said, citing a significant spike since 1997 in how many teams won overtime games after also winning the coin toss. That percentage went from 55.9 from 1994-97 to 64.6 for the next four seasons. And after it dropped to 60 percent for 2002-05, it went up to 63.6 last season.

"We're a league that tries to balance the field and clearly the field is not balanced with respect to overtime with the kickoff."

On Tuesday, owners also voted unanimously to allow a second interviewing window for assistant coaches on Super Bowl teams who are in the running for other head coaching jobs. Previously, only during the week after the season ended could an interview be conducted.

The coach's current team would have to grant permission for the second interview, which would take place during the bye week after the conference title games.

"We wanted to make sure that coaches on Super Bowl teams didn't feel it was a disadvantage," McKay said.

One proposal was defeated. Defenses will not be allowed to have a coach-to-player communications device similar to what quarterbacks use. McKay said owners and coaches were concerned about who would be allowed to wear the device with defenses using multiple formations, and the possibility that more than one player could wind up on the field with such a device.

"Conceivably, we'll bring it up again," McKay said. "We haven't see its last discussion."

The owners also will vote on Tampa Bay's proposal to use instant replay for all penalties except holding; increasing the number of players suited up for games from 45 to 47; and instituting 5-yard penalties for players who spike the ball on the field of play. Spikes in the end zone after scores would be allowed.

San Francisco withdrew its proposal to make defensive pass interference either a 15-yard penalty or a spot foul, depending on the severity of the infraction.

Some mighty perplexing handball incidents this week. Penalties given and denied with no apparent consistency. Do the referees read from the same rule book?

I was thinking the same thing. I don't actually believe the Brown handball should have been given, but neither should the Keane penalty yesterday, but it was.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't actually believe the Brown handball should have been given, but neither should the Keane penalty yesterday, but it was.

The brown handball this weekend was almost identical to his other handball incident, which was given (lucash converted the penalty) in the 4-3 for us last season. Where's the consistency?

Some mighty perplexing handball incidents this week. Penalties given and denied with no apparent consistency. Do the referees read from the same rule book?

I'll answer this again TND - ... its because their minds are already made up ie ball hits hand oh.. it must be a penalty :angry: it happens far too many times for it not to be taken as such especially when similar incidents don't even warrant any reaction from the ref/linesman outside of the box.

I saw that pen in the Charlton- Wigan game, absolutely ridiculous, it's 0-0 five minutes from the end of a relegation dog fight, a ball is knocked into the box, there's a bit of a challenge , a Charlton player falls over and the ref gives a pen ! In that circumstance he's effectively given one team three points, in my opinion at that stage in the game the referee has got to be SURE it's a pen and not just think it might have been !

Saw in the paper at weekend we're leading the penalties list in the premiership, 10 against and 8 for in 31 games - ridiculous.

I saw that pen in the Charlton- Wigan game, absolutely ridiculous, it's 0-0 five minutes from the end of a relegation dog fight, a ball is knocked into the box, there's a bit of a challenge , a Charlton player falls over and the ref gives a pen !

imo it was a penalty but not for the first challenge but for the second one which was a basic lunge and which decked Marcus Bent.

I guess that really is the nub of the debate, we have both seen the incident in slo-mo and yet we disagree.

• 3 years later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12682897

This daft pillock is right up there with Dougie Smith... the scottish ref who booked Gazza for the very serious charge of being funny on a football pitch! http://www.onthisfootballday.com/football-history/december-30-gazza-books-the-ref.php

These blokes should have a four letter slang word for a vagina tattood on their foreheads before being deported to somewhere deadly dangerous at the very least.

Guest linganzi

i saw this before, what a div, if someone had not acted they would have all just stood there like dummies all night

rennie was a very self important t0$$er

and jeff winter, he is on the radio now, cleearly doesnt know the rules of the game and never did. has since admitted he didnt like rovers. I remember him sending garry flitcroft off.. against everton? possibly on his debut? possibly after about 5 mins

Where did you drag this thread from gord?! :lol:

AESF, whatever hapenned to him?

I often wonder about that myself. He was always controversial, (maybe he was banned) but there was a lot of sense in what he posted and the board is poorer for his absence.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.