BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nelsen

SAS

Article in stuff.co.nz about the Admiral. Love the caption under the picture!

He's apparently now the best paid New Zealand sportsperson, and they reckon he gets paid the same or more than the entire All-Blacks squad! I suppose that it just goes to show how ridiculous football wages are. Don't mind him getting paid it, though unlike some others I could mention :) (I'll freely admit that it's a Rovers bias, too :brfc:)

According to that article , Ryan’s new contract will mean that he earns around £24,000 per week although that is crazy in terms of the bigger picture, however in a footballing sense that is excellent value IMO when you the likes of Lampard & terry demanding 115k per week

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, that article puts his salary at £60,000 / week! $1 NZ = £0.4, which would make the $8m NZ / year, which is ~£3.12m /year , or £60k / week.

I think it's just an error in the article though, and not what he actually makes, as I can't see a club like Rovers paying him that kind of money.

Universal Currency Converter™ Results Using live mid-market rates.

Using live mid-market rates. More currencies...

Printed from the XE Universal Currency Converter at: www.xe.com/ucc

Memo: .......................................................................................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................................................................................

Live rates at 2007.07.09 18:47:06 UTC

60,000.00 NZD = 23,216.73 GBP

New Zealand Dollars United Kingdom Pounds

1 NZD = 0.386945 GBP 1 GBP = 2.58434 NZD

Thats what ive just got from the website http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

He played in 20 games this season - but accept that this possibly wasn't the reason. Possibly, more likely that they were future-proofing his contract. At the end of this season he would enter the third year of a four year deal, at which point he would be able to buy his way out of it under the new FIFA regulation.

No, he wouldn't. He would enter the second year of a four year deal. However, the rules as I remember state that players can buy themselves out in the 2nd year of a 3 year deal, or the 3rd year of a 5 year deal. Bizarrely the article I read never said anything about a four year deal. But assuming it takes a 5th year to make it last three years, this contract makes sense. Otherwise it doesn't, as we would still have had two years before he could buy himself out. He probably got a wage bump too. Short might have been doing a job for us at 37, but it wasn't a 20k a week job. Mind, I expect if the Admiral stops performing well enough to warrant his wage he'll be off.

Incidentally, Henchoz contract has ran out. And we haven't heard anything about whether it will be extended? If it's not going to be we'd probably be advised to get a new centre half in.

I also agree we should future proof Samba's contract. I have a feeling he will really grow this year (Not physically...that would be scary) and turn into a highly coveted player. It would be wise to avoid having to bump his wage to 30k a week or something in a year, and just put him on 12-15k or whatever now on a 5 year deal.

Incidentally, Henchoz contract has ran out. And we haven't heard anything about whether it will be extended? If it's not going to be we'd probably be advised to get a new centre half in.

From his profile on the official site:

Signed initially on a one year deal, Henchoz has signed a new single-year deal that sees him contracted to the club until June 2008.

Well, it would be interesting to find out what his wages actually are. He can't possibly be on 60k a week, but the only other thing that would make sense given the figures being stated in these articles would be that he is earning $8 million over 5 years, but that would put him on only just over 12k a week. The other thing that I can think of is that it is 8 million US dollars, which would be over £15k a week, which is a bit lower than the 20k you would expect.

Well, it would be interesting to find out what his wages actually are. He can't possibly be on 60k a week, but the only other thing that would make sense given the figures being stated in these articles would be that he is earning $8 million over 5 years, but that would put him on only just over 12k a week. The other thing that I can think of is that it is 8 million US dollars, which would be over £15k a week, which is a bit lower than the 20k you would expect.

Maybe the figure's accurate but includes a few little 'extras' that Rovers aren't involved with eg endorsements?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
that vital football website don't have a clue, seems like they don't realise its an international break and all the other Rovers internationals will be away as well.

They keep posting controversial headlines and write a load of rubbish :angry:

From the BBC gossip pages this morning:

Blackburn captain Ryan Nelsen has ended his three-year international exile by agreeing to become New Zealand skipper. (The Sun)

What's that all about? As far as I know, Nelsen's always been available for selection for his country (apart from when injured of course).

From the BBC gossip pages this morning:

What's that all about? As far as I know, Nelsen's always been available for selection for his country (apart from when injured of course).

didn't nelsen play a half for new zealand and a half for rovers in a pre season friendly last year at ewood? 4-0 i think we won.

what is the sun on about!

It would appear that there are no Blackburn matches during that time anyhow, as its International breaks.

That is true- 13/17 October is an international break as is 17/21 November so looks like (hopefully) nicko's chums got it wrong.

Just hope Air NZ do the decent and give him a full length flat bed otherwise he's going to be cream crackered when he gets back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.