BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nelsen

SAS

It seems to be the way the club are operating at the moment. If you perform, and exceed their expectations you are rewarded with a new improved contract.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. It sends out the right message to players.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am over the moon that nelly has signed a long term contract. he has been a rock at the heart of our defence since he signed and now this long term deal will more than likely see him to the end of his professional career, before he retires back to minnesota with his wife.

well done the club and nelly...well done :tu:

It seems to be the way the club are operating at the moment. If you perform, and exceed their expectations you are rewarded with a new improved contract.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. It sends out the right message to players.

What? He only figured in a handfull of games so God only knows what the expectations were.

He played in 20 games this season - but accept that this possibly wasn't the reason. Possibly, more likely that they were future-proofing his contract. At the end of this season he would enter the third year of a four year deal, at which point he would be able to buy his way out of it under the new FIFA regulation.

He played in 20 games this season - but accept that this possibly wasn't the reason. Possibly, more likely that they were future-proofing his contract. At the end of this season he would enter the third year of a four year deal, at which point he would be able to buy his way out of it under the new FIFA regulation.

I believe this, or something similar to it, is the reason as well. It also signals that both Nelsen and Rovers intends for Nelsen to finish his career here.

This coupled with his age makes me question giving him another one, whereby he will be 34 by the time he leaves.

I see nothing wrong with the contract length. Assuming he doesn't suffer from bad luck with regards to injuries he can be a top player still at 34. Henrik Larsson broke his leg twice and he decided a CL final for Barcelona, played in the WC for Sweden and then played for Man United, all aged 34-35. And he's a striker. Nelsen's age doesn't worry me at all. His tackling, positioning and ability to read the game means he can still do a good job even if (And he may not) he loses some of his speed at that age. I'd even argue that he's a real positive influence on the club, or at least the younger defenders, even when not playing.

In some sports, such as athletics and cycling, athletes are still in their prime in their early 30s. Merlene Ottey won medals aged 40, Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France (Even if you're on EPO or whatever it might be, a 3-week cycling tour is quite possibly the most grueling event in sports. Excluding extreme sports like Sahara marathon etc). Now the reason I mention this is that despite the differences between the sports, there's nothing stopping a footballer who takes care of his body to play on for a long time. Maldini, Zola, Sheringham and Tugay are a few modern examples of that.

Edited by Lathund

Delighted with the news and nothing at all wrong with the contract length IF the Admiral returns to his pre injury form. I thought he was understandably some way below that at times in the second half of last season.

Would also have thought that bombproofing Samba's situation would have been at least as if not even more of an urgent priority.

I think it exemplifies the current standing of how Rovers appear to see themselves in the Premiership with giving him a 5 year deal, it certainly ensures a decent sized fee should anyone entertain trying to take him away from Ewood.

Great news that The Admiral is signed up.

I think it exemplifies the current standing of how Rovers appear to see themselves in the Premiership with giving him a 5 year deal, it certainly ensures a decent sized fee should anyone entertain trying to take him away from Ewood.

Great news that The Admiral is signed up.

Ryan, although nudging 30, doesn't really have many miles on the clock compared with most pro players of his age. Remember that he played a combination of US college football and MLS from the age of 20 to 27, so he's had far fewer games than UK-based players of the same vintage. This is a deal which demonstrates mutual commitment from both club and player.

Would also have thought that bombproofing Samba's situation would have been at least as if not even more of an urgent priority.

Tying Samba down to a long term deal and ensuring that Nelsen and Samba play together week-in, week-out, is a way to build a long term defensive line. Add in Warnock and Emerton (on the assumption Bert plays like he did last year and not like he did the year before) and we've got a pretty strong back four for the next few years.

With back-up of Zurab, Ooijer, Berner and Henchoz... I'm more than happy with the defence Sparky has constructed.

Especially when you see the crap we had when he first took over. Dominic matteo, Mickey Gray and Nissa Johansson probably all played in his first game. Actually, what was the team in the first game?

Blackburn: Friedel ,Neill ,Short (Amoruso ,41 ) ,Matteo ,Gray ,Emerton ,Ferguson ,Flitcroft ,Pedersen (Jansen ,58 ) ,Stead (Bothroyd ,64 ) ,Dickov

Subs not used: Tugay,Enckelman,

Beat Pompey 1-0 (Jansen)

EDIT: Damn you Dan, just a little bit too quick!

Edited by bellamy11

Blackburn: Friedel ,Neill ,Short (Amoruso ,41 ) ,Matteo ,Gray ,Emerton ,Ferguson ,Flitcroft ,Pedersen (Jansen ,58 ) ,Stead (Bothroyd ,64 ) ,Dickov

Beat Pompey 1-0 (Jansen)

I think you mean Pederson not Jansen!

Beat Pompey 1-0 (Jansen)

In fact thinking about it you've got the wrong game all together! His debut was away at Portsmouth and the team was as follows:

Friedel, Nelson, Mokoena, Todd, Johansson Emerton, Tugay (sub Reid 76 mins), Thompson, Pederson, Gallagher (sub Jansen 73 Mins) Dickov: Subs Enkcelman, Gray, Stead.

Scorer: Pederson 55Mins

Edited by Blakey

Nooo, sir. You're talking about the january game. Hughes' first game was in september. :)

Yep sorry! I thought you was talking about Nelsen's first game. My fault for not reading the whole thread.

Article in stuff.co.nz about the Admiral. Love the caption under the picture!

He's apparently now the best paid New Zealand sportsperson, and they reckon he gets paid the same or more than the entire All-Blacks squad! I suppose that it just goes to show how ridiculous football wages are. Don't mind him getting paid it, though unlike some others I could mention :) (I'll freely admit that it's a Rovers bias, too :brfc:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.