BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

One way of looking at this is to ask yourself a question. Saturday afternoon, Rovers at home to a PL side containing an England interntional or perhaps two, would you be worried? It's a serious question. If Utd come to town Rooney is always going to be a threat, probably Hargreaves as well, possibly Owen with Newcastle, maybe Gerrard with Liverpool. After that? Name player who has the "don't let him run with it," or "close him down quick" factor. There isn't one and therein lays the poverty of English football, all the star players in the PL are foreign.

Totally agree here Paul but I'll come back to this point in a minute.

Not into this blaming Carson malarkey as any keeper could have made the same cock ups last night - as Robinson has done already in games and James has shown numerous times in the past. Yes it was the wrong decision to play him considering Robinson has been the number one keeper for the campaign but herein lies the problem.

Consistency - Mclaren has ###### about with the team so much its no wonder nobody looked like they had a clue what was going on , and as mentioned before on here many times - the bloody stupid 5 man midfield tactic! at home!! WHY???? - There where strikers on the bench capable of doing a job - why adopt a style that they are not used to as a team - and probably most as players - doesn't give the other players much hope or motivation if your manager doesn't even have confidence in you.

Now back to Paul's point - this is something I have mentioned before and the 'tactical' game that I feel is poisoning the game - alot of managers don't have a plan B, most players do not have the confidence nor the nous to try and insert some influence on a game if things are going wrong and just follow the instructions - hence you end up with a debacle like last night where all the players look clueless - and this is not unique to the England set up - its a modern theme for some strange reason.

The only thing to blame for the whole joke of an escapde is the entire England set -up (on and off the pitch) and the state of the game in general and the amount of money washing around in it.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LD, I was telling people that at the time, yes Sven was boring, but at least we played in the championships and always looke competant in qualifying.

Exactly.

I hope all those who clamoured for Eriksson to be axed and replaced by an English manager are feeling pleased with themselves. Including the twits at the FA.

I've said it before but England's international record for a supposed major football nation is appalling.

When did Germany or Italy, countries of similar population size and with similarly strong leagues, last fail to qualify for the World Cup or the European Championship ? Both countries have also won the World Cup three times and reached the final on other occasions. England have reached one final in their history.

Apart from the Ramsey era, and brief spells under Ron Greenwood, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables (in Euro 96), England have always been badly managed.

The problem for the next England manager is the few young England-qualified players that are coming through aren't as good as the present lot.

Carson has all the makings of a top class keeper. He was amazing at Sheffield Wednesday and has been consistently solid since. Let's remember that he is only 22(?). For god's sake, I'm 22 and play in goal and would buckle under far less pressure than he was under tonight. He really was under IMMENSE pressure. It could be argued that a great keeper should never succomb to pressure, but let's wait and see. I have faith in him.

As was pointed out last night Carson was about the worst keeper to visit Ewood last season. He had a nightmare game for Charlton. I said before the start that playing him for such an important match was absolute stupidity. No doubt that is the poor bgugers international career well and truly over.

Well done Jim. Never a truer word was spoken. I'll never doubt your words again. :rolleyes:

His problems at Middlesbrough were temporary. They avoided relegation and he quadrupled his salary six months later by landing the England job !

What a sad tosser [a] for remembering that post and for posting it again.

SSN report the McLaren has been sacked.

Barwick shouldve been the 1st to be sacked. he's to blame for the shambles! the guy knows nothing about the game. spk to anyone who knws him/ or has worked with him and they will tell you that!

yes McClown is inept and a rank poor manager, but... i dont blame him for accepting the job or refusing to resign.

every single person on here wouldve done the same!

i wish talk shows and journo's would stop discussing mourinho as the replacement. HE WONT GO NEAR THE JOB!

PS, can we have football taken away from the BBC. camera work was awful. their presentation is toe curling! hansen was ######, wright bamboozled, and the only one who talked any sense was big al.

motty is just crap nowadays and lawro's "more frank carson than scott carson" tells me the BBC'S BITCH should go aswell!

and why did they keep showing us that frigging table, throughout the match! EVERYONE IN THE COUNTRY KNEW WHAT HAD TO HAPPEND FOR US TO QUALIFY!

yes McClown is inept and a rank poor manager, but... i dont blame him for accepting the job or refusing to resign.

I don't blame him for accepting the job, anyone would have done that, but I do blame him for refusing to resign. Sometimes things are just about honour, he will know that he hasn't done a good enough job, he will have known that he was almost certainly going to be fired and a man with some self-respect and guts would have done what needed to have been done and simply resigned. It fits perfectly into the gutless creature that he has been for the past 18 months as England manager, but it would have been the right way to end it.

I can tell you that I certainly would have resigned and I am sure I am far from being alone in that respect.

PS, can we have football taken away from the BBC. camera work was awful. their presentation is toe curling! hansen was ######, wright bamboozled, and the only one who talked any sense was big al.

Big Al looked like he wanted to rip Mclowns head off

When did Germany or Italy, countries of similar population size and with similarly strong leagues, last fail to qualify for the World Cup or the European Championship ? Both countries have also won the World Cup three times and reached the final on other occasions.

Italy have won the World Cup four times: 1934, 1938, 1982 & 2006.

McClaren was a very poor appointment in the first place and the results have now confirmed it. The only positive is that he's now gone.

Going forward, I think experience is needed for international management. The only Englishman I can think of that fits the bill is Roy Hodgson. He's managed internationally with both Switzerland and Finland and has got both teams playing above expectations. If he did the same for England we'd win something.

His problems at Middlesbrough were temporary. They avoided relegation and he quadrupled his salary six months later by landing the England job !

What a sad tosser [a] for remembering that post and for posting it again.

Don't flatter youself I didn't remember it at all. I simply re-read page 1 of this topic to see where it had started. I thought your post was worth a mention given that you are such a conceited know-all.

BUT .... Why diss me Jim? I didn't type that crap .... you did. :P

Edited by thenodrog

I think everyone knew Steve McClaren was a bad manager. Loads of money at Boro he managed to take the club backwards getting a deserved 4-0 thrashing by Seville in the UEFA Cup final having been outplayed in Quarters and Semi.

This UEFA Cup ‘success’, the fact he is English and was an insider as asssitant, what poor qualifications for the job. The FA should resign.

I have never been a Harry Redknapp fan and it’s hard to see me liking a bloke who always seems dodgy. However we go for coaches with a ‘safe pair of hands’ and achieve little. Redknapp is a people motivator and gets the best out of what he has. Keegan was appointed likewise and failed so there are huge question marks in a desperatley poor field of candidates.

My choice, though they seem unlikely to want to accept if what has been said is correct, would be Mourinho and unfortnately our own Mark Hughes. Sparky would be the best man for the job and would lead Engalnd to success. I thik all Rovers fans know how good he is...

Edited by graham_

According to the squad analysis in one of this weeks Tabloids ,theres just 180 or so "British" (let alone English) players from 500 in our Premier League ..

Given the wealth of the clubs in the prem and the clamour from players all over the world to board the gravy train I dont think that that is a poor %age at all. In fact it's higher than I would have estimated.

I hope this stupid argument about developing kids doesn't rear it's ugly head cos it is nonsensical and simply a press / media witch hunt to apportion blame elsewhere which we in this country are so good at nowadays. Talent and ability is in a person and no amount of coaching will matter. Our top players are playing with and seeing the standards needed every day in training and it will naturally bring them on. Our problems start and end with two factors

1. Leadership.

2. Attitude.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.