BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

This quite funny, courtesy of that irrepressible comic, Hindsight (or should that be Foresight?!):

Crozier concluded: "If someone had said after Kevin's resignation I'd be sitting here three weeks later with a team for the future of Sven-Goran Eriksson, Peter Taylor, Steve McClaren and Brian Kidd, I'd have bitten off their hand."
Edited by rover6

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst that argument might have some merit, does that explain why Steven Gerrard looks a world beater in a Liverpool shirt, and invariably carries a poor side on his shoulders singlehandedly, yet looked as though he'd never seen a football last night?

Anyone any thoughts?

Me I've said for years that Gerrard is not a quality international player. Good and consistent sat afternoon inspirational midfielder yes...... as good as his 'press' hardly, World Class? No bloody way.

Well, seeing as how they got fewer points in a group which involved those sporting giants Macedonia and Israel than we did against the world champions, world cup runners up and a quarter finalist..............................

We always do better against the quality teams. Its a complacency thing.

I expect us to cruise through WC qualification :o

Edited by BuckyRover

Fabio wants the job. The FA should give it to him. Case closed. End of discussion IMO.

phillipl - I'd also be pleased to know why you think a manager who has taken a team to successive champions-league finals (ie Benitez) would be a horrible England manager?!?

Fabio wants the job. The FA should give it to him. Case closed. End of discussion IMO.

phillipl - I'd also be pleased to know why you think a manager who has taken a team to successive champions-league finals (ie Benitez) would be a horrible England manager?!?

.... He wouldnt pick Crouch.

anyway pg why you asking that? I thought you had ended all discussion. :rolleyes:

I'm very pleased to see that Capello's odds have fallen sharply.

Don't get too excited. Mourinho, Martin O Neill, Fat Sam all rule themselves out. Capello announces himself as desperate for it. His price is always going to shorten. I feel the market knows nothing as we are weeks away from the FA announcing they have a 'short list'.

The way that managers are avoiding this job, makes me think it will be a very short short list.

True. I wasn't convinced with Martin ONeill's press conference today. He ruled himself firmly out, then went on to spend quite a bit of time saying how he wasn't bitter at the FA for not giving it him last time and jokingly saying how he'd make a great manager. I also remember Randy Lerner saying at some point that he wouldnt stand in MON way if he wanted it.

The list will have two names on it Capello and Lippi both of whom cant speak english but I don't think that will be a problem as long as they dont ask Beckham for english lessons :P

We could do lot worse than these and at least they have expressed an interest.

I would imagine philip thinks the same as me on this point - Because he's a horrible Liverpool manager.

You'll be trying to convince us McClaren is an all time great for leading Boro to a UEFA final next. ;)

I heard an off the wall suggestion today for the first time which really got me thinking.

There is only one man who:

- Is a legendary figure in the country and

- Is a world Cup winner with England and

- Has previous (successful) international management experience and

- Would have no trouble dealing with inflated reputations and egos and

- Seems to have the knack of not seeing the players all week but when he pops his head round the dressing room door 30 mins before kick off, they seem to want to run through a brick wall for him

Jack Charlton.

Not necessarily saying he should get it but I think he's a better suggestion than most.

An octogenarian World Cup Manager (assuming he takes two campaigns to reach the ultimate goal)?- nice thought for those of us contemplating an active retirement.

If true, Government are making a smart move. They are threatening the state funding at grass roots in a direct knife to the throats of the dipsey blazers who are refusing to allow reform of the FA.

Edited by philipl

The magnitude of McClaren's coaching failure can be seen in these heat maps on the BBC web site.

- None of Gerard, Cole and Lampard spent any time of significance in either the Croatia box or, for that matter the English box. What was the point of 4-5-1 if the midfield don't arrive when Crouch received the ball?

- SWP never got within 12 yards of the by-line on his side of the pitch! The guy clearly has deep faith in his own crossing ability

- Lescott was neither a central defender nor covered for whatever Bridge thought he was doing

- What did Bridge think he was doing? Perhaps McClaren might know

- I unfairly dissed Beckham. His pattern shows he knew what he was doing and did it. Moreover he ran more in his one half on the pitch than anybody else did. So a 34 year old was the legs of the team.

An octogenarian World Cup Manager (assuming he takes two campaigns to reach the ultimate goal)?- nice thought for those of us contemplating an active retirement.

Don't want to start a campaign for him exactly but he's seventy two now and would be seventy five by the end of the next World Cup.

Don't hear people knocking Sir Bobby Robson (who is older at 74) purely on the basis of age.

I heard an off the wall suggestion today for the first time which really got me thinking.

There is only one man who:

- Is a legendary figure in the country and

- Is a world Cup winner with England and

- Has previous (successful) international management experience and

- Would have no trouble dealing with inflated reputations and egos and

- Seems to have the knack of not seeing the players all week but when he pops his head round the dressing room door 30 mins before kick off, they seem to want to run through a brick wall for him

Jack Charlton.

Not necessarily saying he should get it but I think he's a better suggestion than most.

Great shout, never entered my mind I just thought him too old now, what has he been up to?

- I unfairly dissed Beckham. His pattern shows he knew what he was doing and did it. Moreover he ran more in his one half on the pitch than anybody else did. So a 34 year old was the legs of the team.

Beckham was quite good the other night, for me only he and Crouch can be somewhat proud of what they did, he is however only 32.

Fishing I would guess.

He hasn't been a manager for how long now?

A complete non-starter.

It's a very important job and you need someone with experience. We can't afford to take any gambles.

What? How much experience do you need? Now I'm not backing Big Jack particularly but he's certainly experience of managing a 'small' team to and at both the Euro and the World Cup Finals! Anybody else on the list of possibilities other than Scolari that possesses that? Also and this IS THE BIG REALLY ONE he is his own man and does not give a flying flerk for the massed ranks of knownowts in the press and media and will select players to suit his game plan not cos the play for some billy big time media luvvy club. His rows with Eamon Dunphy were superb, he slaughtered him, if it had been a boxing match the fight would have been stopped. :lol:

.... I guess the media know this and will diss him off but I must admit I'm warming to the posssibility of his appointment.

Edited by thenodrog

Having not recovered from the direst of England performances I have looked to see if my 37yrs of football wisdom could have matched mclaren the muppet team selection of Wednesday and brought about a positive result.

I would have picked the following 11

goalkeeper - Robinson, simply for big match experience

right back - Phil Neville ( aghast you say, but in the current climate of players he has experience and can at least defend)

left back - our own Warnock. can run, tackle, head and pass the ball. Definately not afraid to tackle or go for the ball.

centre back - Campbell - only experienced player available

centre back - Stephen Taylor - again, a no thrills player for the U21's but one who puts in plenty of effort.

midfield - Gerrard,Bentley,Cole and Barry. creativity and defensive together.

forwards - Crouch and Defoe

employ a rigid 4-4-2 and hey presto you get a draw at least.

On the bench

Beckham, SWP, Dawson, Bent, James, Bridge, Reo Coker

Move over mclaren :rolleyes:

I've nothing against either man but when fans begin to discuss Jack Charlton (72) and Robson (74) in the same breath as the England managership it only goes to demonstrate the poverty of English talent and the depths the English game has plumbed. They have had great careers but these men are in their 70s, hardly going to take English football forward into a brave new world are they?

Edited by Paul

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.