BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Local lads playing for the team means jackshit anymore.

It's a shame,but that's the way it is.

Before anyone jumps on my back for saying that,you have to ask yourself?

Why would you want to jump on my back?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's almost as exciting for some fans as it is for the lad himself. Only a few are getting carried away.

Agree 100% - I dont think I have been willing a player on like this in a long time. I was delighted he scored on Saturday - Because he is a fan and a Blackburn boy, us supporters can empathise with him a whole lot more than a Johny Foreigner. This will have a positive effect on the atmosphere and then hopefully a knock-on effect the team too.

You're wrong - See above. :rolleyes:

I think i speak for everybody when i say that Derbyshire has been a pleasant suprise this season.

I think wsr sums up the situation perfectly there and I think in this particular instance den is being churlish and is completely wide of the mark.

Derbyshire has imo exceeded expectations. Hands up all those who thought in August that he would be an integral part of the squad by Christmas? I certainly didn't. Mind you it has been quite a godsend with Roberts injured, imo Jeffers having predictably been a complete flop, Gallagher seemingly completely out of favour and with Nonda having been very inconsistent.

He isn't the next Alan Shearer, no-one is. And he's missed a couple of chances. However he's shown pace, a great eye for a pass and an ability to deliver that pass, the ability to get on the end of chances in the first place and above all his willingness and enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air.

He's certainly done enough in my book to suggest that Hughes need have no fears whatsoever about throwing him in from the start if required because of injury or to give one of the senior strikers a rest. The FA Cup tie against Everton would be an ideal case in point imo. Arguably also, unless there's someone VERY good coming in, he might well have removed the need to spend a large chunk of our transfer budget on striker number seven.

Seriously what do people expect of him? Three goals a game off the bench?

Well done Matty, keep it up.

I disagree with that as well. You only had to see the look on the face of that young 19 year old Edgar who scored the second for Newcastle against Man Ure to see that.

But what do I know, Ive only seen him dozens of times, lets leave it to Wikipedia boy.

Just couldn't resist the opportunity to have a completely pointless dig at wsr, could you? <_<

Edited by RevidgeBlue

:angry: Ok i will say it again for the very very stupid... Rover The Moon is actually a completely different member who registered on BRFCS before me, i became member but didnt know there was somebody who was already called 'Rover The Moon' so admin changed my username to West Sussex Rover.

This is the last time i will explain this to people... Next time before trying to make a joke, look up the other persons username as im pretty sure he doesnt even live in the same county as me! :tu:;):rolleyes:

lets leave it to Wikipedia boy.

Thanks for explaining that yet again West Sussex Rover, great info that, spot on. However I have a request, in the interests of getting a cheap laugh everytime you post would you mind if you changed your signature again? To "Wikipedia Boy"? I'd really appreciate that.

As for Matty Derbyshire, early days yet. I'm not getting carried away and ultimately, although I may be completely wrong, when Jeffers and Roberts are fit then I doubt we'll see much of him. If Hughes was that impressed wth him would he still still having a look at that Egyptian bloke?

Derbyshire has made a decent contribution to matches when he has come on as sub; I really wouldn't like him to be starting them yet, but I think he has done enough to be considered striker number 4 when Roberts comes back. Jeffers has been out injured and has now probably taken a step back.

If we were to sign Eatough, as has been rumoured, Derbyshire would go back to number 5 choice striker and we might be able to unload Jeffers to some unsuspecting Championship club.

I also suspect Nonda could be used as a sub and could possibly have an even bigger effect than Derbyshire.

Derbyshire has made a decent contribution to matches when he has come on as sub; I really wouldn't like him to be starting them yet, but I think he has done enough to be considered striker number 4 when Roberts comes back. Jeffers has been out injured and has now probably taken a step back.

That's about right 92er.

Quote Revidge

"I disagree with that as well. You only had to see the look on the face of that young 19 year old Edgar who sored the second for Newcastle against Man Ure to see that."

Umm, Edgar certanly isn't a local lad!!

Newcastle couldn't be further away from Canada........... :huh:

Edited by northernrover

but I think he has done enough to be considered striker number 4 when Roberts comes back. Jeffers has been out injured and has now probably taken a step back.

I think he'll be ahead of jeffers in the pecking order, from what I've been told.

jeffers has had a virus for several weeks - longer than anticipated. I after being given adequate time off, he was made to come into training, the other week, (after phoning in sick), as MH and medical staff weren't sure he was as ill as he said he was.

I'm sure someone else 'in the know' will confirm.

disappointing. I thought he wouldve been more committed - given he's drinking at the 'last -chance saloon'.

at least we know derbs will be fully committed.

If that's the case then surely it's not a lack of commitment, but more a lack of faith in your own ability. Maybe this latest injury has been a heavy blow for him mentally. In any case there's not much substance to the story, and knowing who the messenger is I will not ponder it anymore.

As for Matty, I'd have to agree with Bob on this one. Breath of fresh air at the moment. I actually think MH's comment from a few days back about perhaps not needing strengthening was partly in reference to Matty's form.

Edited by tchocky

I think he'll be ahead of jeffers in the pecking order, from what I've been told.

jeffers has had a virus for several weeks - longer than anticipated. I after being given adequate time off, he was made to come into training, the other week, (after phoning in sick), as MH and medical staff weren't sure he was as ill as he said he was.

I'm sure someone else 'in the know' will confirm.

disappointing. I thought he wouldve been more committed - given he's drinking at the 'last -chance saloon'.

at least we know derbs will be fully committed.

According to Mark Hughes, Jeffers has a torn groin.

Well, you can get away with one average/poor striker as long as the other one is top class. Try to imagine a forward line with two Mattys' in. We would hardly win a game IMO. That's some kind of gauge of how far Matt has to go yet. That's all.

I think the reason most people are happy at Matty's progress is because with a player of Matt's age, they still have the ability to learn off there teammates and striking partners. Now who better to learn from then Benni!

FLB, the language was exageratted to make a point.

Persoanlly, Im looking forward to Derbyshire and Billy Sharp up front, and Haestadd in the middle of the park next season :blink:

Derbyshire, Billy and Haestadd are all young players with the ability to learn also. Who 'implied' that any of these 3 players should be on the pitch all that the same time?

It's a shame,but that's the way it is.

Before anyone jumps on my back for saying that,you have to ask yourself?

Why would you want to jump on my back?

Not jumping on your back, however you very very wrong.

Theo Walcott (past now at Arsenal), Chris Baird, Nathan Dyer and Gareth Bale are all players who came from Southamptons youth acadamy who have all had the fans rolling in. That example i think shows the importance of having homegrown talent.

Also when a local lad grows to be a member of the first team what kind of confidence do you think that gives younger lads in the acadamy/reserves to keep trying...?

Also you probably have local kids in Blackburn trying to be like Matty, following there dream to be like Matt. You also have the attractiveness of fans coming to see a player they might live down the road from. Or was around as he was growing up!

They are loads of benefits of having a homegrown lad playing for your team. When Matt scored against Wigan i had an extra wide smile on my face... Especially when i saw his celebration!

Agree 100% - I dont think I have been willing a player on like this in a long time. I was delighted he scored on Saturday - Because he is a fan and a Blackburn boy, us supporters can empathise with him a whole lot more than a Johny Foreigner. This will have a positive effect on the atmosphere and then hopefully a knock-on effect the team too.

You're wrong - See above. :rolleyes:

No risk of him going elsewhere to the team he supported all his life if he comes good then is there! :rolleyes:

But seriously, this is a very good example of Rovers fans standing up, and trully getting behind the individual player and willing and hoping they do well! And develop into the right player for the future!

Thanks for explaining that yet again West Sussex Rover, great info that, spot on. However I have a request, in the interests of getting a cheap laugh everytime you post would you mind if you changed your signature again? To "Wikipedia Boy"? I'd really appreciate that.

Ever get the feeling like your back at school and your being picked on, on the playground. Seriously... Yawn...

Newcastle couldn't be further away from Canada........... :huh:

Bearing in mind his father Eddie Edgar used to be goalkeeper for Newcastle, i wouldnt be suprised if he supported Newcastle and felt like it was his home away from home.

Edgars dad was in the stand i believe when he scored that first goal for Newcastle. Now who can tell me that that didnt mean allot for him!

He was probably brought up to support the Toons by his dad anyway not to mention the fact that he was in Newcastles acadamy on scholarship... So im sure he had a point to prove.

Its always nice to see a lad come through the acadamy at a club. Damien Duff for instance came through our acadamy didnt he, and he wasnt born in Blackburn...

NO IM NOT COMPARING MATT TO DUFF by the way! :rolleyes:

Bearing in mind his father Eddie Edgar used to be goalkeeper for Newcastle, i wouldnt be suprised if he supported Newcastle and felt like it was his home away from home.

Edgars dad was in the stand i believe when he scored that first goal for Newcastle. Now who can tell me that that didnt mean allot for him!

He was probably brought up to support the Toons by his dad anyway not to mention the fact that he was in Newcastles acadamy on scholarship... So im sure he had a point to prove.

NO IM NOT COMPARING MATT TO DUFF by the way! :rolleyes:

His Dad only played one game for the Toon.

Still I agree wtih you though. Homegrown/Academy players are important and its good to see them playing. Especially when they are as passionate as Derbs was when he scored!

According to Mark Hughes, Jeffers has a torn groin.

you're quite right, den.

he's had re-occuring groin problems, but he's been complaining he's been ill, on and off since october!

reading the times last wk, they stated he was due to return against boro after a hamstring problem.

found a link - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-2518421,00.html

virus, groin and hamstring! he's really been in the wars. :unsure:

you're quite right, den.

he's had re-occuring groin problems, but he's been complaining he's been ill, on and off since october!

reading the times last wk, they stated he was due to return against boro after a hamstring problem.

The only official report I've heard is the torn groin - which would keep anyone out for a long time.

You are the only source reporting a virus and as for the link from the times - how would they know?

imo Jeffers having predictably been a complete flop,

I don't understand how you can refer to Jeffers as a flop. The lad has hardly played due to injury and when he has played he has looked sharp and likely to score. Jeffers is not going to play every game as we have three strikers who are better than him but we knew that when we signed him.

you're quite right, den.

if he's has got a virus, which he can pass on to others, i think Mark Hughes will make sure he is no were near the club

Kevin Gallagher in today's LT says about MD, ".....He's got the potential to be a big player for Rovers in the future, He looks like he has the hunger and desire and Rovers fans would love to have one of their own banging in the goals at Ewood Park."

Kevin Gallagher in today's LT says about MD, ".....He's got the potential to be a big player for Rovers in the future, He looks like he has the hunger and desire and Rovers fans would love to have one of their own banging in the goals at Ewood Park."

Yes true, but I wouldn't half love to see a young fit Kevin Gallagher back in Rovers colours! :rolleyes:

if he's has got a virus, which he can pass on to others, i think Mark Hughes will make sure he is no were near the club

Just so long as he isn't passing his groin onto others, I think Rovers will be fine.

Should he be caught passing the groin, we have issues...

How many games would we win with two Frannys up front? Or two Shabanis (sounds like a curry..." give us two Shabanis and I'll have mine with nan bread ;) )? Or even two Bennis....how many offsides can one game take?

Forward lines only work because of the two forwards working off each other.

I'd very happily take take two Shearers, two Owens, two Rooneys or two Henrys thank you very much. The reason that clubs have complimentary strikers is because they don't have two of the same!

Two Benni's would probably amount to about half the work rate of a Bert, but double the offsides of leagues 1 and 2 put together. :)

Yes true, but I wouldn't half love to see a young fit Kevin Gallagher back in Rovers colours! :rolleyes:

Funnily enough FR, in Derbishire I see similar attributes to the younger and old Gallacher maybe however with bit more pace :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.