BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's such a delight to see Derbyshire score, whether it's England or Blackburn. This guy represents what football should be about. He earned his place the hard way, learnt the ropes and now living the dream playing for the club he supports and making a name for himself.

It really is very heartening to see a young Blackburn lad coming through from virtual football obscurity, and getting into Rovers first team and England U21's. Now we are begining to hear outside voices tipping him as a candidate for the full England side in the not too distant future. Well done Matty; we are all very proud of you, and I feel sure you will continue to progress in the same modest way without letting this alter your size in head gear.

Other than Nugent who is seemingly already in the about to be off-loaded list at Pompey, Derbyshire's only young English striker competition at present is Lita at even less fashionable Reading.

Therefore if Matty keeps getting amongst the goals at Rovers and England u-21 level, the absence of strikers who can score at senior level will heighten the press interest irrespective of playing for Blackburn.

• 5 weeks later...
Here was an interview Matty did for the LEP.I hope we see his name on the scoresheet many times this year

ARTICLE

You can tell this is a local paper article as it doesnt mention that Matt turned down Burnley.

To quote Matt.

"I was 17 and the manager, John Hughes, would say, 'There are a few people coming to watch you today'. I got a bit nervous because I didn't honestly know what to think. I wanted to say, 'What do you mean? Coming to watch me?'"

Just his luck. The first to make their move were the one club in the football galaxy that no Blackburn lad could possibly consider: Burnley.

He shakes his head at that one. "Obviously I could never sign for Burnley because I am a Blackburn fan - it just doesn't make sense."

Full article Published: 14 April 2007 The Independent

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.