BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

i am starting to worry he'll never really be good enough for the top level. he's quick and instinctive but just isnt capable of putting fear into opposing defenders like top strikers can. maybe if he bulks up more and adds some strength to his game he could be effective but right now he just doesnt offer enough.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am starting to worry he'll never really be good enough for the top level. he's quick and instinctive but just isnt capable of putting fear into opposing defenders like top strikers can. maybe if he bulks up more and adds some strength to his game he could be effective but right now he just doesnt offer enough.

Why - he's not been given a steady run of games playing up front to be able to prove himself.

Once Hughes stops playing him out on the right and gives him his chance up front then give him judgement.

Personally I think we have a gem , and given the chance will prove it.

Booooooooooooooo

As for Derbs, he has talent, but he needs to bulk up, and if your being realistic, he shouldnt be in the team when we have 2 ex champions league players up front. He should get 30 minutes in every game though, unless we are doing well without him.

From the telegraph a few months ago:

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/mostpopu..._derbyshire.php

"Derbyshire recently discovered his girlfriend is expecting twins and he celebrated with a goal in front of the Blackburn End, which prompted a baby-cradling gesture to the fans.

Hughes added: "I believe his young lady is expecting twins so that's what his celebration was all about.

"I was pleased for Matt because he went close a few times and he will always give you a threat in front of goal."

====

In terms of Derbs the player, he has a natural talent in that he is a natural goalscorer and has great movement. I just fear for his future development due to the lack of games he has been getting. I thought this season would be the time for him to push on as a player, but its been hard for him to get in the side with players of the calibre of Roque and Benni. I assume it was Sparky's plan to use all his strikers over the course of the season, however with the early exit from Europe and the FA Cup, the likes of Derbs and Rigters haven't had the opportunities.

• 3 months later...

Never mind Matt Derbyshire not starting, I think it's a disgrace that these guys aren't even on the bench.

Promising youngsters overlooked

Edit: Joke is somewhat lost because the link only takes you to a picture of Bentley (if it works at all because you may need offish log-in details) and does not take you directly to the picture of Matt Derbyshire holding his twins, bedeckt in Rovers colours. :rover:

Edited by rover6

:rover: derbyshire is a natural finisher,who for some reason the manager thinks is a right winger :brfcsmilie:

No waggy, (just like me) Hughes thinks that RSC is a better finisher, Benny has far more ability and Roberts makes more things happen with his physical presence. I must say though that personally I would have expected Matty to convert some of the glaring chances that Roberts missed v Derby.

But ultimately with the current strike force I believe Derbs is destined to be a sub saved for the for the last 15-20 mins to worry opposing defenders with his pace, movement and enthusiasm and prevent them venturing further forward to support their attack. As for putting him on the right wing? When it's a tight situation in defence with no easy pass to a teammate the best option for our defence is to hoof toward the opposition corned flag. Puts defenders on the back foot and opposition goalkeepers in two minds.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.