BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see him loaned to a Championship team for the first half of next season to see how he goes there.. Didn't he have a fairly unsuccesful loan to Plymouth??

See if he can cut it at the next level up

392499[/snapback]

Yeah, but from what I read the new manager likes the long ball system and Matt is too slight to be an effective player upfront - he scored a hattrick on his Plymouth reserves debut, if that's anything to go by wink.gif

The guy sounds top drawer, we can all talk about "it's only League 2" and all that nonsense, but you can only do your best in the league you're in, and he's certainly doing that.

Its funny, in my years as a Rovers fan, we've only ever had Gallacher before this season as a striker that came even close to being quick, yet noe we potentially have 3 going in to next season with "lightening pace". It bodes well.

Speaking of which, lest we forget that Gallagher the younger has done pretty well for Stoke this season. He must easily be in double figures, and although Stoke aren't struggling they haven't been in the top half of the league a hell of a lot either. Given the difference in standards they are playing at, Gallagher's performances for Stoke have probably been directly comparable to Derbyshire's for Wrexham.

I'd like to see him loaned to a Championship team for the first half of next season to see how he goes there.. Didn't he have a fairly unsuccesful loan to Plymouth??

See if he can cut it at the next level up

392499[/snapback]

I'd go along with that. Banging in the goals in League 2 is all well and good, but a step up against better opposition in the Fizzy Pop League, will see if he has a chance to make the grade in the first team.

10 in the league, 1 in the cup in 30 games overall. From what I've read he's not really improved i.e very talented, but his effort/work rate is questionable. Granted a return of a goal every three games from left wing/midfield (which is where he's been playing) is pretty damn good - Pedersen-esque even biggrin.gif - but his attitude worries me

Thankfully it's Hughes and not me making the decision on where Paul goes from here - he's talented enough to excel at the top, but whether he wants to is another matter. Could come back to haunt us ala Beattie if we sell him on now, after all he's still only 21!

The interesting thing for me - if Matty wasn't our player - how many on this site would be begging Hughes to buy the Wrexham star player that scores a goal a game biggrin.gif

When in non-league he was a too good - it is apparent that he is too good for 2nd Division. I think he will be given an opportunity to shine in pre-season - he can't be any worse than Kuqi - and let us not forget that (even if he signs a new contract) Dickov hasn't got many more miles in the tank left.

rover.gif JUST SEEN MATTS GOALS.the first was a run from what looked like his own half,on the right wing -outpaced the defence and colly slotted passed the keeper.the 2nd was a defender missing his header ball dropped at mattys feet,who seemed suprised the defender had missed it,took the ball forward and chipped it over the keeper from the edge off the box,classy tinykit.gif

• 2 weeks later...

It's still early days for Derbyshire, but I remember Defoe had a similar strike rate when he was on loan at Bournemouth. Comparing him to Defoe is maybe a bit far, but as DMTP said, he's obviously too good for League 2, and we've seen plenty of highly-rated prospects drop down into the lower leagues and not make anything like that impact. (JJ - perfect example of this)

It's still early days for Derbyshire, but I remember Defoe had a similar strike rate when he was on loan at Bournemouth. Comparing him to Defoe is maybe a bit far, but as DMTP said, he's obviously too good for League 2, and we've seen plenty of highly-rated prospects drop down into the lower leagues and not make anything like that impact. (JJ - perfect example of this)

395445[/snapback]

Watched him play for Wrexham against Swansea and he looked poor.

The fact that Derbyshire has gone to Wrexham and had such a great start is very impressive considering the fact that the football is a lot more frantic and 'direct' lower down and a young player has to adapt to that kind of football before he can show his talent.

I think Lee Osman of Everton was loaned out to Carlisle a few years back and he didn't really impress, yet now he's a Premiership regular. The style of football makes it tough for young skilful players to make an immediate impact. Add the expectation that is heaped on anybody farmed out from a Premiership club and you begin to appreciate Derbyshire's impact more.

Edited by rover6

• 7 months later...

Interesting that Derbyshire has scored 8 goals in 8 games for the Reserves this season, Ive compiled his goals scored below:

NOVEMBER

Mon 6 19:00 H Tranmere Rovers - 3 GOALS

OCTOBER

Mon 16 19:00 H Everton - 0 O GOALS

Mon 2 19:00 H Middlesbrough - 1 GOAL

SEPTEMBER

Mon 11 19:00 H Bolton Wanderers - 0 GOALS

AUGUST

Thu 31 19:00 A Manchester United - 0 GOALS

Tue 8 19:30 A Stalybridge Celtic - 2 GOALS

Sat 5 15:00 A Chorley - 1 GOAL

Wed 2 19:30 A Bamber Bridge - 1 GOAL

I dont think many of us have realised how profilic Derbyshire has been this season, Im suprised Sparky hasnt sent him out on loan again this season to gain more experience.

Has anyone whos seen the reserve games this season been impressed by him? I was reading on the Wrexham boards when he was on loan, that they said Derbys had a very poor first touch and couldnt see him making in the prem with a first touch like his.

Edited by wakefieldrawks

No offence, but does it really matter who he scored against. Surely as long as he can get the ball in the back of the net with skill there's no problem?? :blink:

mmm yes i think it does matter who he has scored against basicily it shows he has not scored against top oppostion so the jury is still out over him but he does deserve a place on the bench

No offence, but does it really matter who he scored against. Surely as long as he can get the ball in the back of the net with skill there's no problem?? :blink:

No offence but there is a world of difference between scoring against Chorley and Bamber Bridge than against Manchester United and Chelseas first team.

i thought he would of taken part against chelsea in the carling cup as most teams feild alot of their reserves in the competition, as he didn't feature it's going to be hard for him to break through into the first team unless we have a striker injury crisis or convinces the management team in training and reserve games.

i personally would give him a chance, 8 goals shows talent and see if he can grasp an oportunity with both hands.

Has anyone whos seen the reserve games this season been impressed by him? I was reading on the Wrexham boards when he was on loan, that they said Derbys had a very poor first touch and couldnt see him making in the prem with a first touch like his.

Ive seen him a number of times now and at reserve team level he does stand out. However what must be taken into account is that reserve teams are now virtually are an overspill of youth team games.

Very few clubs play first team squad players in the reserves due to first team squad rotation. For example the most experienced players Rovers have played in the reserves are Matteo, Henchoz plus Todd.

Derbyshire has an eye for goal, but he needs to build up his body strength before he's thrown into the premiership. Experienced defenders will eat him alive, which will set back his confidence no end.

The best way to blood him, is a sub, when there is no pressure on him. Throwing him in the deep end, is not the answer. A couple of bad games and how long would it be before the fans would get on his back. If anyone knows how to evelop a striker Hughes does, so I'll await his judgement on young Derbyshire.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.