BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

To be fair on Derbyshire, you can only score against the teams you are up against. And also, just because he hasn't scored against a few Premiership reserve sides, it doesn't mean he can't cut it. I'm sure Hughes is looking at his performances overall (and in training) to judge the player - you can't judge a player just on how many goals he scores.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true, IHB. However, he didn't score against Everton, Manchester United or Bolton reserves and only managed a goal against a premiership reserve side in the game against Boro, so he isn't scoring against the sides he plays that is closest to the level some believe he is already ready for.

That is true, IHB. However, he didn't score against Everton, Manchester United or Bolton reserves and only managed a goal against a premiership reserve side in the game against Boro, so he isn't scoring against the sides he plays that is closest to the level some believe he is already ready for.

Boro have one of the best reserve teams in the country though, look at how many of them featured last season for Boro.

Alan 75's post pretty much sums up my thoughts on what i've seen of him. The reserves/extended youth thing is a big problem and imo loaning brings on players much better than the reserves these days. I reckon with a season or two under his belt at a lower level Derbyshire could well be a decent squad player for us.

• 1 month later...

Anybody get the feeling that a goal is coming for Derbyshire and then when he gets a taste for PL goal he will gain confidence and muture into a solid pacey striker... I can see it happening anyway!

:tu:

Absolutely give him a bit of time, he's got great pace and awareness but its stupid to expect him to play like a superstar after just a few minutes of Prem football. Even the best ,most experienced, players need time to settle into this league and while he does it wouldn't hurt to be a little more optimistic and supportive than some of the posters on here.

He's just got his goal vs Wigan hopefully the first of many, well done Matty

Happy New Year

Edited by Laurence

As I've said (and probably others) before, he does need quite a lot of muscle power, but I'm sure he'll grow into a more physical player in a year or two. He's shown good awareness, technique and pace, and has what it takes to make the starting eleven in a few years - judging from the few matches I've seen him.

Keep it up!

I'll be honest I've not seen a lot of the lad, only his home appearances so far this season and brief highlights. However in what I have seen so far he reminds me a bit of Andy Cole in the way in which he seems to pull into the correct space.

He might miss chances but he seems to be able to get into the positions which is half of the battle. He made the right run for his chance at the end of the Boro game and I'm guessing that he put himself in the right position to knock in todays goal. There are a number of strikers who look good but never seem to get the chances. I'd rather have someone who might miss a couple (not that he's shown hes a bad finisher!) but keeps getting the chances and coming back for more.

Well done on your 'debut' goal Matty.

As I've said (and probably others) before, he does need quite a lot of muscle power, but I'm sure he'll grow into a more physical player in a year or two.

Yeah to be honest I'd have said the same about David Bentley last season, and look at him now. He can definitely hold his own in a physical tussle now, yet doesn't seem to have lost his technical ability or pace.

True! Also, Derbyshire doesn't really look fully developed, unlike Bentley who's 22 after all. Without getting too technical.. ;)

Derbs looks about 12! Bless!!!

Good goal though, and he was ever so excited. AH

Derbs might not have got his chance had Jeffers not got injured. Just goes to show that unless flotsam is cleared out the way - be it accidently, youth players may not be able to show their true worth.

Edited by rover6

well pleased for matty derbyshire scoring his first goal!!

new years day in a local derby, he must be on cloud 9 being a blackburn lad!!

it was put on a plate by mgp but they all count and the celebration said it all imo, love it.

hopefully his goal will see him go from strength to strength and improve under the guidence of hughes.

i'm made up for him. he was terrific yesterday and has shown real in his other brief appearances.

i just hope he's given a chance, and we dont push him down the pecking order - by signing an inferior striker, in the january window.

a complimentary article : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-2526777,00.html

I think i speak for everybody when i say that Derbyshire has been a pleasant suprise this season.

Maybe the better option now if were going to sign a forward is to sign a player who primaraly plays in midfield.

Someone like (not actually the player, but like) Kieran Dyer and Damien Duff. That way we have an option for midfield and further options up front if need be...?

And yes before anyone says it. I am thinking signing a player such as the 'lad from Scunphorpe' or another striker isnt needed as much as we all thought at the moment... <_<

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.