SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, him and Rover The Moon I guess ;)

:angry: Ok i will say it again for the very very stupid... Rover The Moon is actually a completely different member who registered on BRFCS before me, i became member but didnt know there was somebody who was already called 'Rover The Moon' so admin changed my username to West Sussex Rover.

This is the last time i will explain this to people... Next time before trying to make a joke, look up the other persons username as im pretty sure he doesnt even live in the same county as me! :tu:;):rolleyes:

No Derbyshire has been a complete and utter disappointment, and is a waste of time.

:rolleyes:

If rovers were to have played every game this season, with two Matty's in attack, we would inevitably have been relegated.

Don't get carried away. Derbs is no where near good enough to start games - yet.

I'd agree with you there Den. He's been pretty average, we only think more of him because he's a fellow Blackburn supporter. He's shown some potential, but nothing at this moment in time to get overly excited about, especially when you consider that he is what, 21?

If rovers were to have played every game this season, with two Matty's in attack, we would inevitably have been relegated.

Don't get carried away. Derbs is no where near good enough to start games - yet.

:rolleyes:

You seem to have missed the point. As Bryan says, you made it out as if Derbyshire has been an unpleasant surprise or something negative. Of course we aren't going to play Derbyshire up front every game (although I don't agree that that would relegate us), but the fact that when called upon he has performed confidently and very well shows us that we may well have a real prospect in our squad.

I'd agree with you there Den. He's been pretty average, we only think more of him because he's a fellow Blackburn supporter. He's shown some potential, but nothing at this moment in time to get overly excited about, especially when you consider that he is what, 21?

He has pace, that's always something to get excited about. He also seems to be an intelligent footballer. That said, he's missed two sitters for the seniors. Still, you have to be in the right position to miss them.

We think more of him because he's an academy player. We've had absolutely nothing come through the system for a while, so we're grasping at straws.

For pity's sake people; go easy on the lad. He is a 20 yr old reserve team player that has been given a few cameo appearances off the bench to gradually acclimatise him to 1st team football. That's all!

What are you lot hoping to achieve by all this discussion? Are you TRYING to undermine his confidence? Give the lad a chance!!

For pity's sake people; go easy on the lad. He is a 20 yr old reserve team player that has been given a few cameo appearances off the bench to gradually acclimatise him to 1st team football. That's all!

What are you lot hoping to achieve by all this discussion? Are you TRYING to undermine his confidence? Give the lad a chance!!

Not going to tell lies about him Fife, just because he's only 20. He's done nothing yet.

I did say "yet".

OK, den, OK.

You're at risk of going in for overkill here.

He may be good, he may be bad. But he is an exciting *prospect* ... £20k for a player with raw pace (uncontestable) who would *appear* to have a knack for getting into the right place isn't bad at all.

Not going to tell lies about him Fife, just because he's only 20. He's done nothing yet.

I did say "yet".

I understand that Den, but why do you need to say it at all? Why not just sit back and watch things develop as MH sees fit to make them, and quietly nod approval to yourself (or disapproval if you must) but surely it is in nobodies interest to put a youngster just breaking into the fringes of 1st team football under the microscope and analyse all aspects of his game on this MB. And I KNOW you are not one of those that has said anything too undermining about his performance; my comments were not aimed at anyone in particular; but were intended as a general comment/ question for all to consider.

Edited by Fife Rover

I understand that Den, but why do you need to say it at all?

Because certain quarters are hailing him as the next Alan Shearer, a problem which exists whereby younger players are overhyped and then unavoidably fail to deliver.

Having seen Matt numerous times, for the reserves and for Great Harwood he delivers pace, awareness and vision.

His problem, and Ive said this for the past 2 years, is that he simply cannot shoot.

I have also said, that shooting is possibly the easiest of the above skills to teach.

But what do I know, Ive only seen him dozens of times, lets leave it to Wikipedia boy.

Edited by stuwilky

I think we should look at this in context.

Matty is a good player from the reserves who is doing well at the moment.

I really hope he makes it! He has a chance.

With the injuries we have he will get his chance, maybe too soon who knows? But I always want Rovers youth players to do well for the first team.

As for TWO matty's playing up front?! This is not really a realistic comment. In the past could we have had a David Dunn and Damien Duff carrying the hopes of Rovers when they were too young. Then getting relegated in 1999. What does the TWO Matty's point make?

They were too young possibly but still made an impact.

If Matty turns out to be not good enough then he will not play very many more games.

So at the moment I look at his performances with optimism. We can be too negative and cynical.

Give him a chance don't get carried away but also don't write him off.

OK, den, OK.

You're at risk of going in for overkill here.

Yes, you're right, it might sound that way.

Got to point out though, that I was one of those shouting " Oh Matty, Matty. - Matty Matty, Matty, Matty Derbyshire." At full voice. :)

He will and does get my full support as does every [including Lucas] rovers player.

As for his future - we will see. He has a LONG way to go.

What does the TWO Matty's point make?

Well, you can get away with one average/poor striker as long as the other one is top class. Try to imagine a forward line with two Mattys' in. We would hardly win a game IMO. That's some kind of gauge of how far Matt has to go yet. That's all.

Be truthful now stu...has anyone actually hailed him as the next Alan Shearer?

FLB, the language was exageratted to make a point.

Persoanlly, Im looking forward to Derbyshire and Billy Sharp up front, and Haestadd in the middle of the park next season :blink:

Well, you can get away with one average/poor striker as long as the other one is top class. Try to imagine a forward line with two Mattys' in. We would hardly win a game IMO. That's some kind of gauge of how far Matt has to go yet. That's all.

I understand your point Den and tried to answer the question in my post.

He is a young player and would never be expected to save our premiership bacon.

I think that when MH took over we spent a considerable amount of games with Paul Dickov as a single striker. In stead of the young Jon Stead.

(Who wasn't good enough??!!)

Edited by Dave S

FLB, the language was exageratted to make a point.

Persoanlly, Im looking forward to Derbyshire and Billy Sharp up front, and Haestadd in the middle of the park next season :blink:

Yes I know it was.

However also exaggerated is the need to rain on the parade. We've got a young local lad trying to make his way into the team. It's almost as exciting for some fans as it is for the lad himself. Only a few are getting carried away.

No need for anyone to be posting that he'll never make it or things along those lines.

Let's see how it goes... :tu:

How many games would we win with two Frannys up front? Or two Shabanis (sounds like a curry..." give us two Shabanis and I'll have mine with nan bread ;) )? Or even two Bennis....how many offsides can one game take?

Forward lines only work because of the two forwards working off each other.

So...er...where was I...oh yes...I disagree that it is any kind of gauge. The gauge would be how Matty performed with all the different strikers we do have at the club.

To which I'd say at the moment that he's not good enough to be a main striker but we could do we seeing more of him, particularly off the bench when opposing defenders are cream-crackered. ;)

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.