BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Well maybe he could be our fox-in-the-box, like Jeffers was when he started at Everton. Every team could do with a player who scores tap ins and 1-on-1's. If he got 10 of them every season for the first team, then no one would be complaining.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they would, Dickov got 10 a season, no crackers and he was still slated.

Good point! :tu:

It'd be interesting to see the nature of this thread and the reaction of the press / media if he had not missed that absolute sitter v Liverpool. 3 in 3 games would have been superb.

I wouldnt mind seeing more of the fella but the fact is we have Nonda (improving), Benni and Derbyshire putting them away so Gally isnt going to get much of a chance in his prefered position upfront...

I agree that Sparky should play him a bit more before coming to a decision... Although i wouldnt be suprised if he left Ewood perminantly during the transfer window! :tu:

Had to edit this:

"Well maybe he could be our fox-in-the-box, like Jeffers was when he started at Everton. "

And now franny is like the fox who has been caught and done over by a pack of half starved hounds, Matty D over " I can get sky on my ears" jeffers any day of the week! (Over riding factors: Wanting it & putting the effort in!)

I'm surprised this topic has not come up

Showed fantastic composure for his goal today, albeit against some pretty lackadaisical defending.

That's 3 in 4 now

I am pleased he scored-although I am sure Weaver will have been disappointed to let it in on his near post, so well done Derbyshire.

However, a bigger test for him will be to score for us when there is more pressure on him because we are not well ahead, like in the Arsenal game, although I appreciate he scored the first goal at Everton.

Rovers duo Paul Gallagher and Matt Derbyshire have both signed contract extensions with the club that'll see them contracted until summer 2010.

To be pedantic, have you got a link to the above? <_<

Seriously though, delighted with this piece of news. To those who thought gally was going to be sold, clearly this is not going to happen in the near future now. Both promising players, they could turn out to be our front pairing in a couple of years, though the likelier situation is them occupying 2 of 4 striking positions, not necessarily as the first choice pair.

:rover: i wonder what will happen to the extra payment clauses in matt's transfer from gt.harwood now the club is defunct,the money rovers will no doubt owe them could get the club back on it's feet :brfc:

They needed a million quid.

Matty's clauses are defunct, like the club.

Sad to say - Rovers couldnt have done anything to save them, shy of giving them Steven Warnock's transfer fee.

This might sound stupid, but is there anything to stop anybody that was previously concerned with Great Harwood Town just 'restarting' the club. Sort of what the Manchester United fans did with FC United, except the original club isn't there to contend with!

Not only that, how the hell does a club like Great Harwood end up owing £1m??? Maybe they blew it all on their replacement for Derbyshire? :P

Not that Im aware of, the problems with Great Harwood are certered around the Showground. It all went to pot after a fire at "Monroes" which decimated their changing rooms meaning they had to fulfil the remainder of their fixtures elsewhere (effectively losing money every time they played).

They couldnt get any support from the FA as they didnt have the required lease on the ground and it would have cost circa £1m to buy the land and build dressing rooms.

Not that Im aware of, the problems with Great Harwood are certered around the Showground. It all went to pot after a fire at "Monroes" which decimated their changing rooms meaning they had to fulfil the remainder of their fixtures elsewhere (effectively losing money every time they played).

They couldnt get any support from the FA as they didnt have the required lease on the ground and it would have cost circa £1m to buy the land and build dressing rooms.

100% accurate there Stu. I am reliably told that Harwood still hope to reenter at some point when they can get facilities. I would not be surprised at all if whilst the club is no longer playing football, that technically the business itself still exists in limbo and Rovers would still be liable to pay any monies to it, which in turn could potentially help the club restart.

A network of lower level local clubs such as Harwood, and in the past Accy Stanley are still important for the development of local players, many players going thru their schoolboy teams and training days will eventually end up at Rovers academy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.