BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to Matty, he has been called up to the England Under 21's squad.

Exellent news for BRFC and most of all for Matty Derbyshire.

Well done lad :brfc:

Edited by ribblesdale

Interesting comparison. Similarly, 'promising' young strikers who don't boast tremendous skill but have a real eye for a goal and who have heaped attention on themselves with sudden unexpected goal gluts. The test will be when Derbyshire's goal dry up - obviously. Has he got the mental strength to take the inevitable criticism and the fact he'll get dropped? - (Roberts and Jeffers looming in the background).

I have a feeling that his unhappy spell at Plymouth might've toughened him up and ensure he won't follow the downwards spiral of Stead.

Edited by rover6

I think in many ways Matt is 'living the dream' which will in my opinion stop him getting carried away with himself at the moment, and also lessen the confidence blow when the goals dry up at various stages of his career.

Even though David Dunn played for his boyhood team, I think the circumstances are different because Dunn came through the ranks and was always going to be a professional footballer destined for football at the higher ends of the Football League/Premiership. Derbyshire however, was old enough when he first signed for our club to realise just how lucky he was, especially having worked for the club behind the scenes.

I just feel Matt is genuinely proud to be playing for Blackburn Rovers, and that is something for us ALL to be getting excited about, regardless of the speculation as to what he may or may not achieve over his football career.

Bentley should be getting picked for the senior squad though.

As good as Bentley is, he's in competition with a lot of players for the right side of midfield. Gerrard is probably still first choice there, then there's Lennon and Wright-Phillips...Pennant is also in the mix. Still having said that, Bentley can't be far off, the three behind Gerrard are all very similar, Bentley would offer something different to those.

Bentley is better than pennant easily.

I'm not sure I agree with that, they are very different sorts of player. If I had to pick one I would go for Pennant but it would be a close run thing.

I wouldn't rate Bentley's chances too highly at the moment as McClaren seems to want wingers and if anything Bentley is in the Beckham mold, a deep crosser, albeit with a lot more skill on the ball. I still think he is going to end up a central midfielder however, he really does have all the tools to become a Tugay sort of deeplying playmaker if he can get his head round it.

Big pat on the back to Derbs and David!

James Milner has been playing exceptionally well recently. A slightly better player than Bentley due to his extra pace?

I like Milner. Think they are at a similair level but Bentley is a better passer and has a better first touch... Ive never really seen Milner as being particularly fast though...

James Milner has been playing exceptionally well recently. A slightly better player than Bentley due to his extra pace?

Different style of player. Milner is stronger and more combative than the somewhat lightweight Bentley but David has more skill as regards a lighter touch, better crossing ability and more creativity. Overall this season Bentley seems to have been in consistently better form than Milner but in just the last month or so for Newcastle Milner has looked excellent. To me Milner will eventually settle down in central midfielder as an attacking force going forward as he isn't really a winger. No idea where Bentley will eventually end up as!

Matt snubbed Fergie for Rovers [sUN]

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...7050604,00.html

"Local lad Derbyshire, 20, grew up watching his beloved Rovers with pictures of Shearer on his bedroom wall.

And, just like the England legend did in 1992, he opted for Ewood Park over Old Trafford when Alex Ferguson came calling three years ago.

Derbyshire, who faces Sheffield United today, said: “I went to Old Trafford with my old manager from Great Harwood, where I played at the time.

“It was an experience but I always knew in my heart I wanted to sign for Blackburn as it’s my club and I’ve always been a fan.

“United and Everton were offering me a contract but there was only one place I wanted to end up — here."

==========

Derbyshire earns England nod

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under21/n...d&att=index

Edited by dillo_dillo

• 3 months later...
It's great to see a couple of Rovers players in the England teams. :brfc: Maybe we won't be ignored by everyone so much now. :rover:

Hopefully the people of Blackburn won't ignore us and a few more might bother to show up on matchday! :)

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.