SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Prem League Of Darts At King George's

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Ted Hanky is to play in the Grand Slam of Darts this year, this is the tournament which mixes the PDC and BDO players, Hanky and Martin Adams have in the past refused to take part in the competition, but I think Hanky is testing the water here to see how good he is against PDC players.

If he does well then I just wonder if he would cross over to the PDC, personally I don't think he will be able to match some of the top PDC players.

Hankey has started to make more pro PDC noises lately suggesting that he could make the switch. He must've seen the money on offer and when Merv King (who I believe is an inferior player to Ted) can establish himself as a top 8 player so quickly, he must fancy a piece of it.

Martin Adams has his main sponsorship with Lakeside (inextricably linked with the BDO and their flagship tournament) so he wont be making the switch. Personally I think that's a shame because he really could make a mark in the PDC.

Also good to see Magnus Caris in the last 8 of the Masters in Bridlington - not heard from him since 1994 when he made the World Semi Finals when he was beaten in a great match by Bobby George. Also saw Dave Whitcombe in the Friday qualifiers for the same tournament, looks like he's joined the BDO again after being periodically barred from the PDC for taking part in the 'Legends' series.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched Phil Taylor win his third South African Challenge Trophy, Taylor, Part, King, Wade and four South African players took part.

The South African's all going out in the quarter finals, Wade bt King and Taylor bt Part in the semi's, Taylort bt Wade 6-4 in the final although Wade was struggling with with an injury to his throwing hand.

Mervyn King did a nine darter, as nice as it is to see someone do this, I just can't stand the bloke.

Edited by Grabbi Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

Lewis V Anderson game was a great disply of darts, cant see Anderson's problem as he did the same thing when Lewis was throwing.

Lewis has certainly come on as a player he has slowed his game down and looks a better player for it, I think he can push Taylor in his next match.

A couple of cracking games tonight, Taylor Vs Lewis should be a good one Lewis playing a lot better and more consistant.

Barney Vs Jacko Barry, how will Barney cope with the boo's as the crowd support the home player.

I thought the booing last night when Jacko Barry beat Steve Beaton was wrong, I dont have anything against the crowd supporting a player but booing Beaton when he is throwing was out of order.

I dont think either player played near their best, Barney sometimes looks like he just cant be bothered, even in the first 2 sets Barney could have easily lost them if Taylor had upped his game just a little and it would of been a whitewash.

The Grand Slam of Darts is next where afterwards you usually see at least a couple of BDO players join the PDC.

Also cant wait for the Jockey Wilson cup in December, England Vs Scotland, Taylor and Wade take on Anderson and Thornton.

• 1 month later...

Grand Slam of Darts started on Saturday, Taylor has already won both of his group games, great playing from one of the female players at the tournament, Anastacia Dobromoslova, for beating Van Der Voort I think this is the first time a female has beat a male player.

Best entertainment though was Ted Hanky the BDO champion who was beaten, he got a lot of heckling and and boo's from the crowd from the start, a lot of this has been of his own making after coming out with comments that he could beat Phil Taylor.

He got badly heckled while throwing for a double and after getting the double reacted by swearing at the crowd in an outburst.

While I dont agree about shouting out when players are throwing but it has become part of the game and most players accept it and get on with it, I had to laugh at Hankey's comments after about how if thats darts you can keep it.

Yes Ted you go back to your comfort zone at the BDO and get Martin Adams to hug you better and tell you why you shouldnt have gone and played with those big nasty boys from the PDC.

Best laugh I got from his interview was when he said that you wouldnt get that from the BDO crowd at the Lakeside, errr hang on Ted didn't you have a go at the crowd when they heckled you in January during the World Championship.

Edited by Grabbi Graeme

I was surprised at Part walking off, the look on Barneys face was priceless as Part walked off, the O'Shea Webster match was a cracker, Webster was gutted to lose it after missing 3 darts at tops.

Interesting to hear Barry Hearns plan to buy out the BDO and invest £2 million into grass roots darts.

Yeah 50k richer and was only in the Grandslam because Martin Adams refused the invitation. He had a dream week considering he's only part time and works as a carpenter.

Shame he didn't bring is best game to the final but the "Power" was up for it tonight and Waites could have got his coat and called a taxi after the 1st few legs because it was over.

I think he will switch to the PDC, money and better tournaments being the lure.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.