SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think he'll stay, he looks happy enough and MH has put his faith in him, I don't think Bentley is one of those that's in it for the wrong reasons, he wants to play and likes to be appreciated, he is at our place.

Also, he could get the Rovers - England curse, named in the full squad = Major injury.

• 2 weeks later...

The NOTW also said that Villa were getting Villa...David that is. I know they have a bit of cash now but I very much doubt that one of the worlds current best strikers would go there.

As for Bentley-I couldn't see him going to Utd....however there will be many managers here and abroad who have been extremely impressed with him this season.

Sir Alex Ferguson seems to like his wide players to have pace and, for all Bentley's qualities, pace certainly isn't one.

I'd be extremely surprised if he did move for him, they've had a lot of success this season using pacey wide men, I can't see why he'd try something different now.

• 4 weeks later...

This article is an excellent interview with David Bentley and gives us some insight into his mind as well as addressing his omission from the U21's under Taylor.Also,interesting to note was his reaction to being called back to the U 21 squad last time out and that he went out of respect for Pearce.It would be nice to see him called up for the Israel match.

Full article here

Gareth Barry and Matt Taylor(although now more of a LM) are probably just ahead of him in the stakes although his performances both going forward and back are worthy of england consideration. :rover: If Bentley doesn't get in then warney has no chance.

can't believe bentley missed out again. this is biasedness at its extreme. what must the guy do to get a call up?! Surely he's on better form than SWP who has seriously regressed this term.

Matt Derbyshire and David Bentley have both been called up to the England U21 squad for their friendly match against Italy at Wembley on Sat 24th March

Wouldn't it be great if either of them scored the first goal at the new Wembley though. :rover:

Steve Mclaren was at our Bolton and Arsenal matches recently.

In both those games, Bentley did not play well at all.

I would say Warnock has an outside chance as he has been playing really well (as well as in those matches Mclaren was at!).

Edited by John

Gerrard has been playing wide right for Liverpool again recently, with Hargreaves returning I'd expect McClaren to revert to 4-4-2 with Hargreaves and Lampard in the middle. That would mean Gerrard and Lennon going as the right sided midfielders, so I'm not surprised Bentley hasn't been included really.

For me, he stands a better chance of going as a left sided player, someone involved with the U21's mentioned this recently too. He has far less competition on the side, and has a better left foot than any other right footed player we've played out there. Personally I'd have taken him ahead of either Downing or Barry to play on the left side, but as he rarely plays there for us I'm not surpirsed McClaren has opted not to.

Warnock will definitely be an interesting one. He's settled in brilliantly, it just depends whether a couple of months of first team football are enough to convince McClaren. Someone mentioned Nick Shorey earlier in the topic, if you take the blue and white tinted specs off for a moment, you'll realise he probably deserves the chance more at the moment; he's been performing brilliantly all season whereas Warnock has only started playing regularly just over a month ago. Had Warnock been with us all season I'd be massively disappointed for him to miss out though.

Gerrard has been playing wide right for Liverpool again recently, with Hargreaves returning I'd expect McClaren to revert to 4-4-2 with Hargreaves and Lampard in the middle. That would mean Gerrard and Lennon going as the right sided midfielders, so I'm not surprised Bentley hasn't been included really.

For me, he stands a better chance of going as a left sided player, someone involved with the U21's mentioned this recently too. He has far less competition on the side, and has a better left foot than any other right footed player we've played out there. Personally I'd have taken him ahead of either Downing or Barry to play on the left side, but as he rarely plays there for us I'm not surpirsed McClaren has opted not to.

Warnock will definitely be an interesting one. He's settled in brilliantly, it just depends whether a couple of months of first team football are enough to convince McClaren. Someone mentioned Nick Shorey earlier in the topic, if you take the blue and white tinted specs off for a moment, you'll realise he probably deserves the chance more at the moment; he's been performing brilliantly all season whereas Warnock has only started playing regularly just over a month ago. Had Warnock been with us all season I'd be massively disappointed for him to miss out though.

Still it's great to see Matt Derbyshire get some well deserved recognition. Plus he will get the chance to play in the first match at the new Wembley; might even be the first to score there!

Oh absolutely. I actually completely overlooked that somehow, I've been so accustomed to him being a first team player that I temporarily forgot how quickly he had risen. I just had a quick look at the U21 squad and it looks quite likely he might start. David Nugent will probably be the first choice, but he does like to play off another striker, so he can't really play with Agbanlahor or Young...so that probably leaves Derbyshire battling it out with Lita to partner Nugent.

With Bentley, Huddlestone and Milner in the team he could expect very good service as well. What an amazing few months it would be for him if he did score the first goal at Wembley.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.