BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

Thought he was England's main outlet tonight and once he had gone off there didnt appear to be anyone who wanted to be on the ball and create chances. There were a couple of passes in the first half that were very 'Beckhamesque' (!) Hopefully he will get his chance - would cap a brilliant season to be involved against Brazil next week.

Delighted for him... :)

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's absolutely fantastic, Bentley will no doubt recognize Rovers' contribution to his cause. He seems to be very happy here, and seeing as he can be picked for England without having to swap clubs, I think he'll stay for some time. I'm thrilled for him, well done, here's to Bentley! I'll start to worry about him when Sparky is appointed manager at ManUre, what a sad sad day that'll be.

he cant realy do much more he has had an amazing season, got voted player of the season by a top premiership club, scored 6 goals for the under 21's including the 1st english goal at wembley . then when he gets called up to the B team he puts on a man of the match performance gotta be picked tomorow.

We've already had the end of the beginning for the inept Maclaren but to pick Beckham now over an in-form Bentley would initiate the beginning of the end for the clown. Bentley's form has placed Maclaren in an unenviable position. It seems to me that certain outside (vested interests) influences are being exerted to bring Beckham back, if he does and Beckham spews it he will carry the can as the 'wise old owls' at wapping will say that Bentley should have played. If Becks does OK then its the David and Victoria show big time.

No manager who has ever gained legendary status would ever go back on their opinion and eat humble pie at the behest of the press and media! Lets name em.... Shanks, Paisley, Clough, Ferguson and biggest name of all Ramsey were there own men first and foremost and not the pet puppy of the media.

Who'd have though it...for once I'm impressed by Steve McClaren.

Doing a U-turn over Beckham can't have been easy but he has also rewarded those who have played well in Under-21/England 'B' settings in the form of David Bentley and Nicky Shorey. Neither of whom are from the 'Big Four'.

Not that I am expecting great things or anything but it does suggest McClaren is willing to admit mistakes and try to learn from them.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Who'd have though it...for once I'm impressed by Steve McClaren.

Doing a U-turn over Beckham can't have been easy but he has also rewarded those who have played well in Under-21/England 'B' settings in the form of David Bentley and Nicky Shorey. Neither of whom are from the 'Big Four'.

Not that I am expecting great things or anything but it does suggest McClaren is willing to admit mistakes and try to learn from them.

I don't understand him bringing Beckham back, FLB. Doesn't make any sense to me at all. If he really rates Beckham, why leave him out in the first place. Then to bring him back just as he's about to join a team of conference standard, WHY?

My Beckham England shirt can be bought out of ritirement and I can add Bentley 7 on my new one.

I wonder who'll get the nod on Friday. I'll be there and I'll be hoping to see a Bentley debut.

Although it will be unlikely he'll get a starting postion now that Joe Cole & Beckham are in the squad.

With Lennon carrying a knock from last night i can see him having a 45min split with becks against brazil. What an introduction to international football! :rover:

I don't understand him bringing Beckham back, FLB. Doesn't make any sense to me at all. If he really rates Beckham, why leave him out in the first place. Then to bring him back just as he's about to join a team of conference standard, WHY?

Shouldn't have been dumped anyway. Drop him from the team sure but there is no way he isn't good enough to be in a 22-man squad. As for bringing him back now...well, we are obviously desperate. Anyone who has seen England "perform" over the last two years will know that. As for "WHY?" I already answered that in my post...because McClaren made a mistake. Besides Beckham has been playing very well in the last four months. It's daft not to pick your best players no matter the opposition.

As for those saying if we can't beat Estonia then we are in trouble...we already are in trouble! What were you doing when we played Macedonia, Croatia and Estonia and created about as much excitement as the release of a "Kevin Davies: My Greatest Rovers Moments" DVD?

There's no reason why Beckham should automatically be excluded from the England squad for the next year. If he is in shape and can still cross like usual then he and his dead ball skills will be an asset. Particularly as a substitute when Plan A isn't working. Some of the previous games were crying out for a player with the skill to create chances. Also...what evidence are you basing the MLS as being "conference standard"? Presumably you have seen some games? I have and it certainly wasn't anywhere like that. Not Premiership standard but not too bad.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.