SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was getting at the fact that he was using 'fatigue' as a reason why he stepped down from the U21s, when many of us have 'fatigue' 365 days a year, without a summer to relax and recover. It annoys me that highly paid footballers don't expect to work like slaves and do stupid amounts of hours in order to receive their ridiculously high salaries.

If your looking at the big picture though, he has played an entire season, he then plays in this U21s tourament and gets 1 week rest before the new season. Then plays another whole season and could very well get a call up to the full squad for the Euros. This could then mean he hasn't had a proper break for 2 full years and that can't be good for anybody, regardless of how much they get paid.

I can't see this being a massive negative for Bentley England wise, he and Mark Hughes told McClaren and Pearce not to select him but he did, it's his own fault he has 22 players not 23. Even if he doesn't play under McClaren it shouldn't be too long before we have a new boss anyway.

Good decision imo and especially I suspect if it's been made in conjunction with his agent and his club manager.

I would like to imagine a conversation along the lines of "Dyer and Jenas in front of you..... twice! They are taking the p1ss son, tell em to eff off."

Quote Stuart Pearce.....

"I had an inkling when Mark Hughes spoke to me on Wednesday and said he wanted to pull the boy out, but I said 'no' as I didn't find that acceptable," Pearce revealed to Sky Sports News".

God I'm good. Sky news may as well save time, trouble and fees and instead of interviewing these people simply ask me. :tu:

I must say Hughes really is a chip off the old block. The old RFW never let players play minor internationals or for minor international teams for that matter (and in the case of Wales particularly) if he could help it.

Edited by thenodrog

You can understand it from Pearce's point of view, where would he and England be if everyone did the same and pulled out?

Similarly, you can see it from Bentley's point of view. He's nothing to prove to anyone at that level, he's not some raw seventeen year old kid.

I know I'm being thick here, but shouldn't "under twenty ones" mean precisely that? What's the upper age limit?

If your looking at the big picture though, he has played an entire season, he then plays in this U21s tourament and gets 1 week rest before the new season. Then plays another whole season and could very well get a call up to the full squad for the Euros. This could then mean he hasn't had a proper break for 2 full years and that can't be good for anybody, regardless of how much they get paid.

Hold on these players dont play and train 24/7. They train for about 6 hours a day 4/5 days a week and that includes all the team prep, video reviews, social functions etc.

There are also various windows of rest when International fixtures are being played. To say the lad hasn't had a 'rest' for two years would be an absolute joke. I'm not knocking his decision to pull out as I believe he has more than proved himself in the league and for the Under 21s, but to announce that the decision is due to fatigue is not on in my opinion.

Like Pearce has said, there are other players that have played a lot of games this year and it doesn't seem to put them off. You can bet if this summer was one of full-International competiton, the fatigue would have disappeared.

I don't like criticising our players, and I feel Pearce is a knob when he pretends to have this undying sense of national pride and patriotism - he only does it because he knows people will like him more because of it. However, I just feel Bentley has gone the wrong way about this.

Still, like I said, I appreciate the fact that this does benefit the Rovers.

Quote Stuart Pearce.....

"I had an inkling when Mark Hughes spoke to me on Wednesday and said he wanted to pull the boy out, but I said 'no' as I didn't find that acceptable," Pearce revealed to Sky Sports News".

God I'm good. Sky news may as well save time, trouble and fees and instead of interviewing these people simply ask me. :tu:

I must say Hughes really is a chip off the old block. The old RFW never let players play minor internationals or for minor international teams for that matter (and in the case of Wales particularly) if he could help it.

You can read-

Hughes said he did not want Bentley in the u-21 squad before it was selected and again complained about Bentley being in the under-21 squad the day it was announced.

I have to say I found Pearce's:

"For me, representing your country is not about what suits you, it's about what suits your country, whether it be on the sporting field, whether it be in the armed forces. "

comment a little distasteful. There's a big difference between trying to avoid getting shot or blown to bits in Iraq and trying to avoid tackles and score goals in a football match.

Please do not associate the two with each other at all.

I have to say I found Pearce's:

"For me, representing your country is not about what suits you, it's about what suits your country, whether it be on the sporting field, whether it be in the armed forces. "

comment a little distasteful. There's a big difference between trying to avoid getting shot or blown to bits in Iraq and trying to avoid tackles and score goals in a football match.

Please do not associate the two with each other at all.

For me, it shows up Pearces weaknesses with the above comment in that hes all aggression and little brain power, Pearce for me runs with the past but has liitle to offer for the future..... and this guy is in charge of our youngsters.

I respect Bentley for his decision. He has proved himself at that level, and has been called up to the seniors. So therefore in my opinion hes taken the step up and wants to concentrate on his fitness to take some form into next season and get that England cap!

I think he's made the right decision if it means we get the benefit next season, as Hughes has said with him being fatigued then he wont show what he is capable of at the U21's Championship.

With Beckham back in the fold and Mclaren's reluctance to try him out in the last 2 games I dont think this harms his chances of a senior start as Mclaren prefers anybody else on the right as Beckham's back up before he tries Bentley.

I know I'm being thick here, but shouldn't "under twenty ones" mean precisely that? What's the upper age limit?

To appear in the finals all players must have been under the age of twenty-one years old at the beginning of the qualifying rounds, and therefore could be as old as twenty-three for the finals.

Like Pearce has said, there are other players that have played a lot of games this year and it doesn't seem to put them off. You can bet if this summer was one of full-International competiton, the fatigue would have disappeared.

If this season had been one of full internationals the league season would have finished a week earlier at least. Also if possible Mark Hughes would have given Bentley the last couple of weeks of the season as a slightly easier time but we needed that intertoto spot, and also , if we had qualified outright for the Uefa we would have given Bentley an extra week or so after the International tournament finished. As it is the season was long, we needed Bentley right through to the end and we need him earlier than most teams need their players. Circumstances conspire against his playing for the U21s and no doubt Mark Hughes explained all that in detail to Stuart Pearce, who chose not to listen. If McClaren knew that Bentley wasn't even going to get on the bench against Estonia, then why make him fly all that way and back just to spend a night or two in an hotel, because we all know that's a recipe for not sleeping as well, and then expect him to get on a plane out to Holland today.

As Mark Hughes said, he doesn't refuse to let any of our players represent their country, even when the match is on the other side of the world, but there is such a thing as common sense and it would seem the 2 levels of English management have been sadly lacking in it on this occasion.

I've always thought the U21's is a bit silly. What's the point? Pearce is way off the mark here, if a player is fatigued - be it physically or mentally - he should be allowed to withdraw. If it were the seniors then of course Bentley would jump at the chance, he has to, he won't know if he gets any more of those.

For those who think he gets enough rest as it is, you don't know what you're talking about. Comparing Bentley to Lampard and the likes is waste of breath. If Hughes suspects a burn out, and Bentley himself has been worried about that (using the word "knackered") then who are you to say that he isn't. Too much football can leave players jaded and uninspired, and we don't want that for him or for Rovers.

Seriously, where is the point in playing the European kiddies Championship if he's tired after a long season? Pearce is a moron, and only out for his own career and reputation in trying to win the championship, he doesn't care about Bentley.

Well let's hope Pearce picks up the phone and tells McClaren on the other end that he has a player on his hands who's obviously not willing to sweat sweat for his country never mind blood .

Hopefully McClaren and Pearce will decide to give him a long , long , long rest from playing for England again ......

Absolutely great news in many ways. We'll have a fit Bentley for the PL season and also for the intertoto campaign.

He will have taken a great deal of advice from the right people before making this decision. But he strikes me as somebody who is very much his own man - I have to say I like that, especially since most footballers seem to be agent driven.

Arguments centred on the fact that he gets paid well and therefore should be immune to fatigue are complete tut. Anybody who plays sport will know doing it regularly comes at a price. No amount of wages compensate for that.

He could have quite easily have faked an injury and gone home that way. he should be applauded for his honesty. Pearce of all people should appreciate that. Clearly Pearce wants to be in the news, I guess he fears slipping out of the picture whilst managing the 21's. I think the whole episode shows a lack of forward thinking and planning by the FA. I think most of us on here could see it being a possibility.

Ultimately his senior chances may suffer. But he may have had a chat with the all knowing Steve Mclaren, we never know.

The person to blame for all this is the idiot McLaren. The communication between him and Pearce clearly has been non existant - or even worse it's been counter productive against the interests of both the player and the senior and U21 England causes.

The TV commentry team made much at the end of the U21 game on Tuesday night that the players would all get a few days off to relax, and then meet up again today (Friday) to head for the tournament.

If the idiot wasn't even going to put Bentley on the bench against Estonia - despite him being the natural replacement when Beckham came off - then why the **** did he drag him to the back end of Eastern Europe for no reason, rather than sending him home for a few days off with an instruction to join the U21s today????

I'm quite sure Bentley wouldn't have taken the action he has if he'd been treated with a modicum of common sense. I feel really sorry for the lad, because his England career has been derailed by the bad management of the idiot McLaren.

Well let's hope Pearce picks up the phone and tells McClaren on the other end that he has a player on his hands who's obviously not willing to sweat sweat for his country never mind blood .

Hopefully McClaren and Pearce will decide to give him a long , long , long rest from playing for England again ......

Actually, Id rather have a player for next season who's refreshed, relaxed and raring to go, not one who's had 6 days off before preseason starts.

I also think hes quite in his rights to flick two fingers at the england setup after his very shabby treatment from McLaren, I mean we know the (limited) ability of Jenas and Dyer, lets see what untested players with a decent season under their belt can do. Instead he gets ignored. its great for Rovers, bad for the under 21's, but not as bad as having Stuart Pearce in charge of them

in some ways i agree with pearce as there are the likes of terry, rio gerrard and lampard who have played far more games than bentley have and some with serious injuries on top of all that however i think he has made this decision on the back of the farce that occured in estonia the other day which i feel will be a massive blow to his confidence after all i think hes been the best right winger in the country all season long and no longer has to prove himself at u21 level. When beckham gets injured early on numpty mclaren would rather replace him with the likes of downing, dyer and jenas who i think are absolutely s**te so that shows what kind of manager we have in charge. After all this all i can say is that it doesnt do any harm for rovers next season does it and thats the only thing im concerned about :brfc:

Kudos to Hughes for looking after one his players and one of the best ones at that.

Talk of Bentley's England career being in jeopardy is probably being a wee short-sighted.

A move to a big club and he'd be reselected as quickly as a rat leaves a sinking ship.

However I'm hopeful he'll be reselected if his current form the Rovers continues into next season.

The Bentley saga is currently being discussed on talk sport this morning on the Parry and Townsend show.

The presenters are taking Bentley's side mostly, however, most fans ringing in are saying he should never play for England again.

I cannot be bothered to read some of the posts on this.

The boy is drained and you could see the affect on his performaces in the later end of the season.

Got to go with Sparky on this one, Pearce can (Please don't use that word again) off.

Has anyone seen Mark Hateley's jibes in today's Sun? Link: - http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...7260654,00.html

I've just emailed the journo who did the article, the following;

In response to the nonsense spoken by Mark Hateley in today's Sun, I wish to point out a few things...

First of all, what really made me chuckle was Hateley stating ''At Rangers, I was playing over 70 games but I never once complained. You just have to get on with it. Burn out? The lad is talking rubbish.''

I'm sorry, and no disrepect to the SPL but who were these 70 games against? The mighty Dunfermline, Dundee and Aberdeen? Get a grip! I doubt this would require quite the same energy levels as playing Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool.... ??

I cant see Stuart Pearce being too bothered if Bentley played for u21's and was knackered at start of the season for Blackburn, affecting his club performances... would he!?!! But at the end of the day its Blackburn who pay his wages, not The FA.

Isnt the under 21's a platform to get in the senior side? At the end of the day, he has proved himself at under 21 level and is now knocking on the senior team door..... why play in some tournament and burn himself out, he's played more games than more of any of them players in the squad?!!

Pearce should be going mad at Steve McLaren if anyone..... he called Bentley up to the senior side v Brazil, had him take part in a weeks training, then never play him and make him fly all the way to Estonia and back without being on the bench - whats the point of that?!

Mark Hughes will have played a massive part in this..... he will be concerned he will be burnt out by start of season, AND RIGHTLY SO!!

He has played a large percentage of all Blackburn games this season, including a long FA cup run, 6/7 games in uefa cup.... if he played in under 21's and England went all the way (as expected)... he would have just 6 days before the Intertoto cup/pre-season preparation/friendlies. Perhaps you could ask SPL ''legend' Hateley if he's ever had this short of a break between seasons?! I suspect the answer is NO !

This is no worse only like when when United players pull out senior side not to aggrivate injuries. That wont get mentioned in your totally 'unbiasied' paper will it?!

Regards,

XXXXXXXX

Blackburn.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.