SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bentley actually came on to Talk Sport and spoke honestly about his decision. He made it quite clear this was his choice and that he had explained himself fully to Pearce. Refreshing honesty considering the fame grabbing tired out players of the last world cup who didn't own up to their fatigue and cost England dearly. Bentley has not only his, but England's best interests at heart as he prepares himslef for the long season ahead leading up to Euro 2008.

The presenters are fully backing him. Bentley came across as if he has matured greatly and after I got over the disappointment of his withdrawal I'm proud of him.

The person to blame for all this is the idiot McLaren. The communication between him and Pearce clearly has been non existant - or even worse it's been counter productive against the interests of both the player and the senior and U21 England causes.

The TV commentry team made much at the end of the U21 game on Tuesday night that the players would all get a few days off to relax, and then meet up again today (Friday) to head for the tournament.

If the idiot wasn't even going to put Bentley on the bench against Estonia - despite him being the natural replacement when Beckham came off - then why the **** did he drag him to the back end of Eastern Europe for no reason, rather than sending him home for a few days off with an instruction to join the U21s today????

I'm quite sure Bentley wouldn't have taken the action he has if he'd been treated with a modicum of common sense. I feel really sorry for the lad, because his England career has been derailed by the bad management of the idiot McLaren.

Excellent post Tris.

I have to confess I nicked your point and texted it in to Talksport this morning.

It was read out and Mike Parry and Andy Townsend who were being broadly supportive of Bentley's position disagreed with that particular point saying McClaren couldn't predict who was going to get injured etc. and was entitled to select the best players available to him.

It really was compulsive listening this morning. DB himself rang in and spoke at great length and with great passion on the issue. He said the decision wasn't made on a whim, he'd considered it in great depth and taken the advice of former professionals before coming to his decision.

Again it's a measure of the guy, he really didn't need to ring in and open himself up to a potential slagging off, but did so and spoke with great honesty.

One thing DB hinted at, and it wasn't really picked up on, was that he communicated his decision to the England hierarchy some time ago so he "didn't understand" why Stuart Pearce was now in the position of being a man short and being unable to call up anyone else.

The timing of it is arguably one of the things you could have sympathy for Pearce on, so if DB could clarify that point and it was indeed the case that Pearce knew of DB's decision in time to call up a replacement, yet selected him anyway, people would have a bit more sympathy for DB's stance.

As it was predictably many contributors to the show were of the "He wants to try working down the pit" viewpoint including one lunatic journalist from the Sunday Mirror who predicted DB would never pull on an England shirt again.

Bentley actually came on to Talk Sport and spoke honestly about his decision. He made it quite clear this was his choice and that he had explained himself fully to Pearce. Refreshing honesty considering the fame grabbing tired out players of the last world cup who didn't own up to their fatigue and cost England dearly. Bentley has not only his, but England's best interests at heart as he prepares himself for the long season ahead leading up to Euro 2008.

The presenters are fully backing him. Bentley came across as if he has matured greatly and after I got over the disappointment of his withdrawal I'm proud of him.

Also said he had took advice from senior England players and that they had warned him that you can "hit a brick wall" come October/november after playing all season then playing a summer tournament.

He said he owed it to himself and Rovers fans to be 100% ready for the intertoto and coming season and by playing for u21's would only give him possibly a week before his return to Rovers.

With all this in mind he has taken a brave decision, but obviously has next season and possibly the euro championships next summer in mind.

A brave but a very astute one in my mind. (but I would say that wouldn't I)

The full interview can be heard again on talksport before they go off air at noon.

As it was predictably many contributors to the show were of the "He wants to try working down the pit" viewpoint including one lunatic journalist from the Sunday Mirror who predicted DB would never pull on an England shirt again.

Bentley is being eaten alive across the internet at the moment. It's an absolutely disgraceful treatment of a player who has done nothing wrong by acknowledging his human limitations and letting Stuart Pearce (who is a joke of a manager anyway) know of his decision not to play ahead of time. Most people are not acknowledging that Bentley did not leave the squad in the lurch at the moment and/or are blasting him for having the audacity to be honest. The blue and white halves must warp a lot of minds. :angry:

If we're being honest, we're all being a bit two faced about this, if it was any of the other players who had pulled out, we'd all be going "bloody disgrace" "who do they think they are" and "too big for their boots" (that is if we cared that much about an under 21 tournament)

Whilst fans of their respective clubs would be applauding their decision.

Andy Townsend was consistent all morning in saying DB had made a professional decision, he was about the only one of the under 21 squad with a realistic chance of playing in the Euros next summer and therefore had made a career decision to give himself the best chance of having a good season next season and accordingly being fit and selected for then.

About right imo.

If we're being honest, we're all being a bit two faced about this, if it was any of the other players who had pulled out, we'd all be going "bloody disgrace" "who do they think they are" and "too big for their boots" (that is if we cared that much about an under 21 tournament)

Have to agree with that RB, it's what the common football fan is about, but on a slightly serious note it might teach us to look a little deeper in to players comments and actions that they make take.

Saying that if it's a dingle or a Bolton player I for one will revert to type :rolleyes:

The press didn't make a big fuss when Agbonlahor was out of reach for an U21 call up due to O'Neill telling him to go on holiday earlier and effectively barring him from a call up.

I know that it isn't exactly the same thing but it does smack of a manager not letting a player who has played every premiership game burn himself out in Holland this summer.

It reminds me a bit of when Chris Sutton pulled out of the B-team- although this is a different case in that DB has done it because he is tired.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is a little disillusioned with the England set-up:

- McL still picks Jenas/Dyer/Downing ahead of him in the main squad

- He hasn't exactly always been a regular in the u21s, he has been unexplicably dropped by them a few times

- He's got nothing more to prove in the u21s

Its unfortunate for Pearce if he has one less player, but he should've communicated better with DB/McL/Hughsie before picking the squad.

To be honest I don't give a sh_t about England, let alone the U-21s, so I'm happy Bentley pulled out. If David is right about telling the England heirarchy about not playing a while ago, then Pearce should be angry with his employers for not passing the message on. As for those saying 'how can he be tired, try working down t'pit for 29 hours a day?' all I can say is different people have different levels of stamina, and running 8,000-10,000m twice a week can probably take it out of you.

It's just a shame it has become another stick to beat Rovers and Hughes with. Bentley shouldn't be in the U-21s anyway, what would he gain from it? And the end of the tournament is near the Intertoto game dates.

It jus shows what k**bs Pearce and McClaren are.

There has been a few warnings this was going to happen and Hughes even spoke to Pearce on Wednesday night, saying he considered pulling Bentley out of the squad.

Pearce comments are unnacceptable in my opinion. He should stick to what he knows best, being a passionate shyte manager.

Fair play Bentley, i think we have a real loyal bloke on our hands here, and one who is willing to speak his mind at all times.

I agree that had anyone else come out and done this then we would all be slating them, but at the same time he has spoken his mind and said he owes it to the Rovers fans who pay his wages...and from a Blackburn Rovers point of view i think he's a bloody hero.

Get in there Bentley.

I think some of you lot are being very naive as well as myopic.

This has little to do with Bentley being loyal to Blackburn - regardless of what he said. It is ALL about him wanting to go to Euro 2008 and having limited interest in u21 football.

I personally agree with the criticism Bentley and Blackburn are getting. The decision belittles the England u21 team, including manager. As I've said before, England aren't going to start competing respectfully at the top level until we're doing so at the lower international levels. We already lag embarrassingly in success-rate, technique etc. etc. at these levels - players pulling out is not going to help one bit.

I also believe that Bentley is doing damage to his full international hopes. James Milner will possibly come in to replace him in the u21 team and imo, he has the ability to eclipse Bentley and force his way into the England squad. He has the skill of Bentley, more pace - although perhaps not the crossing ability. I firmly believe that now that Newcastle have a decent manager, Milner will finally flourish next season after showing exciting glimpses thus far.

This tournament was Bentley's opportunity show that he can really lead the attack of a team consistently, under the increased pressure of the international stage. He's turned it down for bigger plans but even the best laid plans...

Edited by rover6

Maybe some people see it as a completely different situation but didn't Alan Shearer and Paul Scholes effectively refuse to be part of the england setup by "retiring" from international football? Not only that but it was kind of for the same reasons - ie fear of a burnout. Funny how people seemed to accept their decision to concentrate on their club when they're 30+ but at 22 it's a disgrace and he should be burnt at the stake.

Further more, both of those examples were of course asked on numerous occasions to be available for selection again. I didn't see the media fuss when they refused.

Unfortunately most people will not read past the damning headlines of "Bentley refuses England call" or the like.

Edited by Jimmy Jupiter

I have some sympathy for Pearce for being a man down but the more I think about it the more I think he is being hypocritical in publicly slating DB.

If he's that bothered about having the strongest side out he should just select Rooney.

We all know there's not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening as both Alex Ferguson and the player would tell him to go forth and multiply.

So it's hypocritical to apply one standard for say DB and another for say Shrek.

I think some of you lot are being very naive as well as myopic.

I personally agree with the criticism Bentley and Blackburn are getting. The decision belittles the England u21 team, including manager. As I've said before, England aren't going to start competing respectfully at the top level until we're doing so at the lower international levels.

This tournament was Bentley's opportunity show that he can really lead the attack of a team consistently, under the increased pressure of the international stage. He's turned it down for bigger plans but even the best laid plans...

Rover6, we will wait to se on Milner but he's had several years to show his worth and has failed so far.

The decision may belittle the U21 team, but does it really matter? Even if they go on to win the tournament (with SP in charge there is virtually no chance anyway) will we be celebrating in the streets? No. The senior side's success has nothing to do with the U21 side's success at all. The only use for the U21 team in my opinion is giving players experience of european football and Bentley is getting that already at rovers.

Now that Bentley is on the verge of the national squad, playing UEFA Cup football and top premiership sides every week, what exactly is he going to gain from group games against Czech Republic and Serbian teenagers?

The only reason this is hitting the headlines is that it happened when there is little or no other football news. If this was a World Cup summer so you think anyone would give a toss? No. Agree with Tris, it is VERY alarming that the impetus for all this criticism is from within the England camp. That is much more detrimental to the chances of the senior side winning anything than Bentley missing a kids tournament.

Is no-one else slightly embarrassed by Bentley's actions? I certainly am.

Don't get me wrong, if it benefits us next season then I'm all for it. However, a player pulling out of an international tournament for England because they are 'tired' is unheard of. If this was such a concern then they both (Hughes and Bentley) should have pleaded their case with Pearce, by the sound of his reactions it sounds like neither have done so properly. For all Pearce's faults, dishonesty isn't one of them, and if he's upset and hurt by the decision then it can't be one he was expecting.

Why didn't Bentley make this decision the day the squad was announced? It's too late for a replacement to be called up now so the U21's go in a man shorter than everyone else. I'm sure if he had done it then and given Pearce chance to call in a replacement then we could have saved all this hassle. Either way, Bentley has served a massive blow to his international career...and if the decision was made with a view to being fitter for senior internationals next season, then he's been very badly advised by someone. As much as I'd like to think Bentley is putting his Rovers career before his international aspirations, I very much doubt that was the main motivation for doing what he did.

I've looked at a few other forums to see what the general view is, and there is very little support for Bentley. Even from clubs who you'd expect to have nothing against Rovers, and from sets of fans who are generally fair in their opinions, it doesn't make good reading. I think this could just be one of those situations where it's going to be difficult seeing this situation without the blue and white specs.

I guess, at the end of the day, we get our best midfielder fully fit and raring to go for the start of next season, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. It is a shame though that poor planning/communication and bad advice has all-but ended the international career (in the short term at the very least) of the first Rover in years to look like breaking into the national side. I know a lot of people are claiming they don't care for U21 games or even the national side, but the pride expressed by many of us at Derbyshire and Bentley playing at the new Wembley etc. suggests to me otherwise, and I suspect quite a few people share my feeling of disappointment that we're unlikely to see Bentley in an England squad for some time.

Edited by LeChuck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.