BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

Bentley is much the better footballer of the three- the other two would be pretty ordinary if you took their blistering pace away.

Hold on a minute, that's like saying take Van Nistelrooy's finishing away and he would be very average! Of course he would - it's his main attribute. Lennon doesn't just have pace, he has pace that in my opinion only a few players on the world stage can match. Yes, there are areas of his play that can be improved upon, but like Bentley he is still developing. Remember though, Lennon is only NINETEEN.

If I were to give Bentley a chance it wouldn't be at the expense of Lennon. I would perhaps try J Cole on the left, Bentley and Gerrard in the middle, and Lennon on the right.

But hey....it will NEVER happen. McClaren does not have the balls to drop any of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Ferdinand etc for an extended period of time.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on a minute, that's like saying take Van Nistelrooy's finishing away and he would be very average! Of course he would - it's his main attribute. Lennon doesn't just have pace, he has pace that in my opinion only a few players on the world stage can match. Yes, there are areas of his play that can be improved upon, but like Bentley he is still developing. Remember though, Lennon is only NINETEEN.

If I were to give Bentley a chance it wouldn't be at the expense of Lennon. I would perhaps try J Cole on the left, Bentley and Gerrard in the middle, and Lennon on the right.

But hey....it will NEVER happen. McClaren does not have the balls to drop any of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Ferdinand etc for an extended period of time.

Joe Cole's out for the season My vote for the left would be Downing. Not that impressive so far for England but at least he's got a left foot.

Guest shoppybrfc

My vote on the left would be Barry, Hes played there all season for Aston Villa, Fair share of Goals ( fair enough they're penalties which England are CRAP at ) and Assists.

Barry has been on top from this season and should be given a chance. It just doesn't send out the right message when players on top form get left out to leave players who have done nothing for years in an england shirt!

Guest shoppybrfc
gareth Barry for me as well, Downing is an very average player and is only in that squad because of SM

You dont think much of many players do you, who cares if he's a 'media darling', Barry is the best option for LW, He plays there every week is onform, is having his best season even for club.

Is there a English LW playing week in week out, who has performed better then Barry for their club all season?

Edited by shoppybrfc

You think much of many players do you, who cares if he's a 'media darling', Barry is the best option for LW, He plays there every week is onform, is having his best season even for club.

Is there a English LW playing week in week out, who has performed better then Barry for their club all season?

i agree Barry should be playing on the left side and deserves his chance

Going back to Bentley's U21 performance, he seemed to relish the freedom he had in the centre of the park. He was constantly looking for the ball and displayed an impressive range of passing, combined with the simple one touch possession passes. In fact, that performance was the most Tugayesque I've ever witnessed from the young man. With the abundance of c. mids we have at the club what should Hughes consider next season?

After tonights England game surely Gerrard will play in the middle in the next fixture.

Lennon hasn't covered himself in glory, Wright-Phillips is out of favour...a gap for Bentley to get in perhaps? I hope so.

I wouldn't be best pleased if any of our players got injured/knackered playing for that steaming pile.

Going back to Bentley's U21 performance, he seemed to relish the freedom he had in the centre of the park. He was constantly looking for the ball and displayed an impressive range of passing, combined with the simple one touch possession passes. In fact, that performance was the most Tugayesque I've ever witnessed from the young man. With the abundance of c. mids we have at the club what should Hughes consider next season?

Playing him on the right, where he's shone for the whole of this season. Say Reid and Savage startin the season in central midfield, that gives Bentley much more freedom to attack the opposition - they're both athletic players who cover a lot of ground (more so than Tugay and Mokoena do).

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, I just can't find it:

Bentley blasts England flops.

Can't really argue with anything he says there. I think The Sun have sensationalised it by saying he has put his own England career in jeopardy though - he didn't criticise the management as such, just the effort of the players. I like listening to Bentley's interviews, his confidence is very apparent but he's always very honest with opinions. It's obvious he just wants England to do well when he says he'd put Beckham back in the starting eleven even though that's the position he is competing for.

Edit: There was also a quick interview with him in the Mirror a few days ago. One of the questions asked was along the lines of "who is the best prospect at the moment", his answer was Matty Derbyshire and he was complementing his work rate.

Edited by LeChuck

I have on good authority david bentley has been approached by 2 clubs with regard to a transfer. obviously cant say who, but its a disgrace that our players are being tapped up

Would one of them be from North London, not be very good and not be called Arsenal?

Just for a change. <_<

nope 1 of the teams is not the mighty north london not arsenal team. only know of this because i live on the same street in rochdale (were david also lives )as his auntie and cousin who lets say arnt the sharpest knives in the drawer and like to tell everyone everything about him. Bently was here yesterday with a nice new motor. orange lambourgini i think it was.

Edited by BringOnNextSeason

I'm not even surprised. I'm pretty sure it happens all the time, and frankly, DB would have a lot more than 2 suitors in my opinion. Certainly those clubs who fancy themselves bigger than us like Newcastle would take him. And I think he could really do well in Man Utd, and I wouldnt even be surprised if Arsenal wants to bring him back. And of course, there's Spurs who wants everybody. But that said, my point is, if we're not kidding ourselves, surely this is an expected development. I'm pretty certain it happened with Pedersen last season. The main thing is how Bentley conducts himself. Having just signed a new 5 year deal on improved wages, and the way he has settled here, I'm optimistic that he will stay. Unless its one of the top 4 wanting him, then he might be off. (As i type this, i suddenly realise that he would fit into Chelsea's team too... not impossible especially now that they want to go British) Anyone else and i'm not too worried.

PS: With regards to tapping up... didnt we do it to a certain with Savage and Dunny too?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.