SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no reason why Beckham should automatically be excluded from the England squad for the next year. If he is in shape and can still cross like usual then he and his dead ball skills will be an asset. Particularly as a substitute when Plan A isn't working. Some of the previous games were crying out for a player with the skill to create chances. Also...what evidence are you basing the MLS as being "conference standard"? Presumably you have seen some games? I have and it certainly wasn't anywhere like that. Not Premiership standard but not too bad.

I agree:

Decent players in the Prem who have come from MLS: Nelsen, Convey, Reina, McBride, Freidel, Tim Howard, Oneywu (is that his name?).

quality player in the Prem who have come from conference: Phillips? A while back...

Clearly the MLS is reasonable.

But as far as Beckham goes, hmmmm. iam against it as it seems a bit daft to bring him back after throwing him out. THe whole reason he was excluded was so wecould build a team. Mcclaren has miserably failed at that though...

We have an abundance of decent right sided players, its probably the one are where we are well equipped.

Anyhow, my team:

----------------Owen----Smith

Joe Cole---Gerrard---Hargreaves---Bentley

---Shorey-----Ferdinand---Terry---W Brown

-----------------------Robinson

what evidence are you basing the MLS as being "conference standard"? Presumably you have seen some games? I have and it certainly wasn't anywhere like that. Not Premiership standard but not too bad.

No, I haven't seen any games. Just cheekily paraphrased some guy on talk sport. :lol:

Surely though, he can't go play in that league and play for England at the same time. So why bring him back now?

Edited by den

Utterly bizarre. Surely Nolan deserves the spot on the bench more than him. Or Barry.

I think Jenas must have something over the FA to keep getting a call up. He was ok for the B team but nothing special.

Nolan should be given a go but doesn't get a look in and Barryis a good player but i'm not sure he has what it takes to be a full international player.

Not just Jenas, but Dyer who always lives down to his name. Neither looked anything special last night. Good to see alan Smith back to playing like he used to. He might be a pain but he's whole hearted and totally overshadowed Owen The press obsession with Owen, who is nowhere near match fit, bordered on the ridiculous. Nice to see the Daily Mail has really pushed the boat out on Bentley and nice to see David saying that he's found his place at Rovers. Following on from Warnock's good words about the club the other week, all we now need is for Morten to ask why he needs to move because he's at the right club and we'll really look good to any potential new signings.

Surely though, he can't go play in that league and play for England at the same time. So why bring him back now?

If he is playing well then of course he can. Why on earth couldn't he if he was in form?

Besides the qualifiers end as early as around about October and all that is important is qualifying. This 'building a team' guff of an excuse is a load of rubbish. Build it for what? We only have a major tournament every two years! Once we have qualified (which is dubious as we are behind both Russia and Croatia having played a game more) then we can start looking at 'building a team' etc for the tournament itself.

We need to qualify and if that means playing those in from then fine. We can look at bringing players through in the friendlies.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Daily Express reckoned that the travelling to games would be too much for him to do it on a regular basis. I think McClaren has got it wrong and I still will even if Beckham plays well. It's a backwards step, taken as much at the behest of the media as anything else. He's scared of not qualifying but how much worse will it look if he's brought back and we still don't qualify? Must have been nice for the England players last night to know what it feels like to be cheered and applauded not booed last night.

If anything you'd want Beckham playing at the championships next summer. He'd be a couple months into his season - match fit, but not worn down by a 10 month season in multiple competitions.

Daily Express reckoned that the travelling to games would be too much for him to do it on a regular basis.

What travelling? Getting on a plane and flying over a couple of times? What are they on about? :blink:

Many of those Brazilians and Argentines seem to manage...

He's scared of not qualifying but how much worse will it look if he's brought back and we still don't qualify?

If we don't qualify then it doesn't really matter does it? He will be out of a job. It won't be one iota worse no matter who he plays or not in that case. It's in his interest to play those players available to him who have been playing well.

It's pretty obvious he didn't expect to ever call up Beckham but, such has been his recent form, that he would have looked petty not doing so and shown it wasn't for football reasons. Added to Lennon picking up a knock and it makes sense.

If the team had been playing well in the qualifiers then he needn't have bothered. Desperate times call for desperate measures...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Really pleased Bentley is in the squad. Proves to a lot of the players you dont have to play for "BIG CLUB", to get in squad. Birmingham players take note.

I wonder how many column inches lil old Blasckburns player is going to get tomorrow, they already by passed it on SSN.

Bloody typical of Beckham to steal his thunder.

Beckham has been the single greatest factor in Real Madrids late (but highly effective) run on the title. They're half a team without him. Whatever else could (and has) been said, the man works hard, and plays with his heart on his sleeve. He's also back to full fitness and his forms the best since the season before he left United.

I'm quite happy that Bentley will be training with him, Beckham knows a few tricks and David will to well to learn from him. And Well done to David, he's had an outstanding season, and deserves this since christmas in my opinion.

It has just been confirmed - Brazil are not playing England - They are only playing David Beckham. Eleven Brazilians against one Englishman - they should win.

The media circus strikes again.

Well done David Bentley - fully deserved. :brfc:

The thing is, the nearer Bentley gets up the international ladder,the harder it becomes for Rovers to keep hold of him.

It won't just be the prem ,but the3 foriegn leagues that'l be taking notice of his potential.

Once again, I can't see it being long before we lose another of our top stars..

It's becoming the norm at Ewood these days.

Lennon has had a scan and won't play against Brazil and possibly Estonia (is it them?). Also LA Galaxy have been "hinting" that Beckham may not be allowed to play, unless it is important, and obviously this is a friendly, so they might not think that it is important enough for him to fly over for. Looking better for Bentley

Links:

Lennon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/6696153.stm

Becks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6696051.stm

Edited by Anti-Dingle-Brigade

Guest shoppybrfc

Was anyone else sick of the Michael 'England' Owen show for the game the other day? All the build up, match and after match was all about Owen. Who was @#/? as well, yet the tabloids still say 'Owen is back'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.