BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

Beckham will be there for the Brazil game. It's important enough because it's his recall, the first England game at Wembley and it is a joint squad for the two games. I think that was more of a warning for the future.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Eddie. MLS doesn't take international breaks, so if he were gone for a friendly during the season they wouldn't be happy. (I.E. had this happened when he was playing for them.)

Bentley should be starting for England. Gerrard aside, he is the best English right sided midfielder we have. I always thought that Beckham shouldn't have been dropped, until now. Beckham isn't the kind of player to make an impact off the bench, so he would no longer be in my England squad. Lennon would be a better alternative. However, we all know that Bentley won't be started by McClaren.

As McClaren seems to prefer fitting Lampard and Gerrard into the starting XI, with Gerrard on the right, it seems very strange to find another THREE right sided midfielders in the squad, bizare in fact. I doubt McClaren will risk playing an entirely experimental team against Brazil and risk an embarassing defeat, so I doubt that two of them will play a significant role.

Also, what the hell has Jenas done to warrant being in the squad?! How does he keep getting in?!

Anybody else think that our forward line looks one of the weakest of all the top international teams? Bring back Shearer!

so an article were pennant was saying he was disapointed about not getting an england call up, if he got called up i want mcclarens phone number because id want trials.

What are you talking about man? You do know Pennet plays for Liverpool?

Given that:-

A) he plays for Liverpool

B.) he demands to be in the England team

I for one cant understand why he hasnt been called up regardles of how he plays :rolleyes:

Edited by Cocker

Agree with Eddie. MLS doesn't take international breaks, so if he were gone for a friendly during the season they wouldn't be happy. (I.E. had this happened when he was playing for them.)

On the other hand having a current England international for them would be something to crow about. Certainly a turnaround from the calls of "has-been" when they signed him. Besides...it would only be 5 games over 3 periods. By then he might be playing rubbish again anyway so won't be wanted!

Personally I think all this obsession with Beckham and Owen is the best thing for Bentley. Can keep his head down and let his feet do the talking when he, hopefully, gets a chance against Brazil.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

could be a bad thing for us

shop window and all

Could be but why should it be? the lad's enjoying what he's doing where he is. He'll go eventually if we can't get any further than we are now but he's come from a big club where he couldn't get a game. don't see him wanting to go back there. Man U have Ronaldo and won't currently want him. Chelsea might just because they want everybody to stop other teams having them but they don't need him and Roman isn't for spending big this season. Liverpool could want him but hopefully he's got the sense to see that it's not necessarily a forward step to go to Liverpool in view of Warnock and Bellamy's experiences. For a lad who wants to play week in, week out, Rafa's rotation would drive you nuts. Like all our best players he'll probably go sometime but I can't see what advantage he'd get from going just yet. He's said himself, he's enjoying himself here and when you see the smile on his face most of the time, why worry?

Bentley should be starting for England. Gerrard aside, he is the best English right sided midfielder we have. I always thought that Beckham shouldn't have been dropped, until now. Beckham isn't the kind of player to make an impact off the bench, so he would no longer be in my England squad. Lennon would be a better alternative. However, we all know that Bentley won't be started by McClaren.

As McClaren seems to prefer fitting Lampard and Gerrard into the starting XI, with Gerrard on the right, it seems very strange to find another THREE right sided midfielders in the squad, bizare in fact. I doubt McClaren will risk playing an entirely experimental team against Brazil and risk an embarassing defeat, so I doubt that two of them will play a significant role.

Also, what the hell has Jenas done to warrant being in the squad?! How does he keep getting in?!

Anybody else think that our forward line looks one of the weakest of all the top international teams? Bring back Shearer!

Bias aside, Bentley shouldn't be starting. He's been very good this season, particularly the first half, but Beckham has been very good for Real Madrid under more pressure and has greater experience. If Bentley didn't play for Blackburn then none of us would be expecting or wanting him to start the game. His time will come, but right now he has to prove himself to be better then one of the best right midfielders in the world, who also happens to be a similar style of player.

Bentley as been named in the squad,which alone is great credit to himself,but in all honestly Mclaren won't name Bentley over Beckham.Even Bentley hiself admits Beckham is a top class player and won't be disappointed because he puts the England team first.

Everybody is calling for Beckham, and the media love it,but Bentley will get his chance,and when he does ,let's hope he does us proud.

Edited by ewoodblue

Great step forwards for David Bentley. I suspect he is the sort of player who will really shine on the international stage.

I hope his international debut is more than a two minute cameo to allow Beckham to get cheered off.

Bentley's call up is a complete waste of time in the light of McClaren's inexplicable, shortsighted, and approval craving recall of Beckham.

People wanted Beckham dropping - he drops him. People want Beckham recalling - he recalls him.

Dropping goldenballs in the first place is just about the only thing Sven mark 2 has got right in his miserable reign so far.

Beckham is yesterday's man, hasn't played well for England since 2002, and we hardly pulled up any trees when he was in the side anyway.

That is a horribly untrue statement. Beckham was great for England up until 2002-2003ish where he seemed to lose the work ethic that had made him so effective, but if you have watched him in La Liga you would see that he obviously has that back. He has been the best player (by far) for a side currently top of La Liga, how you can possibly call that someone who is "yesterday's man" I don't know. He'll be young enough and fit enough to play in the European Championships (if we get there) and there is no reason to think that he can't sustain his current form and replicate it at an international level. McClaren dropping Beckham was a sad attempt to distance himself rom the previous management and it has failed horribly, much like everything he has done. The England team should be picked on a combination of form and overall quality, Beckham makes the squad on both and anyone who says otherwise hasn't been watching him at all in the past 4 or 5 months.

Edited by Eddie

Bentley's call up is a complete waste of time in the light of McClaren's inexplicable, shortsighted, and approval craving recall of Beckham.

People wanted Beckham dropping - he drops him. People want Beckham recalling - he recalls him.

Dropping goldenballs in the first place is just about the only thing Sven mark 2 has got right in his miserable reign so far.

Beckham is yesterday's man, hasn't played well for England since 2002, and we hardly pulled up any trees when he was in the side anyway.

That is a horribly untrue statement. Beckham was great for England up until 2002-2003ish where he seemed to lose the work ethic that had made him so effective, but if you have watched him in La Liga you would see that he obviously has that back. He has been the best player (by far) for a side currently top of La Liga, how you can possibly call that someone who is "yesterday's man" I don't know. He'll be young enough and fit enough to play in the European Championships (if we get there) and there is no reason to think that he can't sustain his current form and replicate it at an international level. McClaren dropping Beckham was a sad attempt to distance himself rom the previous management and it has failed horribly, much like everything he has done. The England team should be picked on a combination of form and overall quality, Beckham makes the squad on both and anyone who says otherwise hasn't been watching him at all in the past 4 or 5 months.

Revs right I'm afraid eddie.

1. Too much baggage about Beckham with his stupid wife and the entourage that is Beck's publicity team around. Team spirit / morale will no doubt suffer. A football team only has room for one manager!

2. 2002 was FOUR years ago eddie. He is yesterdays man. Beckham had lots of stamina and a great right foot and thats it! He has no pace, no left foot, can't dribble, can't tackle and can't head..... and his stamina will be waning fast.

A drowning man will grasp at straws........ As I said before this is the beginning of the end for Maclaren.

Edited by thenodrog

I saw Beckham playing for Real Madrid on Saturday. He looked outstanding - like the player of 5 or 6 years ago - full of energy and nothing like the sluggish, slow form he showed in the World Cup.

I don't think England can afford to ignore him given the way they have performed this season.

Bentley, however, isn't far away from that level and deserves to be a fixture in the squad.

England fans have got to accept Beckham is one of the (very) few English 'world class' players about.

Technically he is right up there.

If everyone was fit I would say we could field 8 or 9 world class players, including two of the biggest talents in Rooney and Gerrard. The great shame is that those eight or nine don't really work together as a team.

Revs right I'm afraid eddie.

1. Too much baggage about Beckham with his stupid wife and the entourage that is Beck's publicity team around. Team spirit / morale will no doubt suffer. A football team only has room for one manager!

2. 2002 was FOUR years ago eddie. He is yesterdays man. Beckham had lots of stamina and a great right foot and thats it! He has no pace, no left foot, can't dribble, can't tackle and can't head..... and his stamina will be waning fast.

A drowning man will grasp at straws........ As I said before this is the beginning of the end for Maclaren.

1. Everything that has ever come from England players is that Beckham is an immensely popular member of the side. Why shouldn't he be? For all his fame and fortune, he seems a genuinely nice man and I can't see why anyone would dislike him for reasons other than jealousy. What has ever suggested to you that Beckham would try and pick the team?

2. Have you watched Real Madrid recently? Have you heard some of the biggest managers in Europe saying he's one of the performing players in Europe at the moment?

Guest shoppybrfc

If Beckham wasnt married to that Wife of his, he'd recieve far less stick from fans I'm sure. Its the wife most of us cant stand and most people aim their vitriol at Beckham because of the Posh spice link.

The only 'world class' players England have are Gerrard and maybe Rooney. None of the others are, they are just very good/good premiership players, who always bottle it in the Champion league or Internationals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.