Sign in to follow this  
ABBEY

[Archived] Blackburn End Drummers ?

Blackburn End Drummers, what do you think.  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Blackburn End Drummers, what do you think.

• They should be allowed to stay
    • They should be made to go
    • Not bothered either way
    • Its all Groobys Fault.. Get into em.

yeh i watched this as well and thought the same thing.

absolutely pathetic atmosphere on ewood yesterday. even at 3-1 up and cruising the only songs that could just about be heard were the really creative and imaginative 'going down' and the embarrassing drummer lead 'barmy army' chant.

still its not just ewood where the atmosphere is often rubbish.

Not been to Rovers recently have you? 3-1 is nowhere NEAR enough to get a positive atmosphere going- at that point people are still hugging themselves, rocking backwards and forwards and whispering in a pained voice "blow the ******** whistle" ad nauseam. 4-0 with a minute to go, and the place will be rocking!!!

;)

Maybe it was just me but I noticed yesterday two things involving the drummer:

-Him and Jaskelainen mouthing off at each other

-Some guy taking the drum and sarcastically banging it in his face?

Didn't think the atmosphere was that bad yesterday in all honesty.

OOps - wrong thread :blush:

Saw Billy the drummer after the match. He said he hadn't been very well recently.

Hope he gave Jaaskelainen what for!

Edited by roversmum

Just got back from a weekend in Madrid and we went to see the Real Madrid v Getafe game on Sunday night which is a local derby of sorts as Getafe are based on the outskirts of Madrid.

The Bernabau stadium was absolutely magnificent and has a capacity of 87000. It was fascinating to compare the atmosphere from that game to a typical Premiership game or to that at Ewood Park.

It was a dire performance on the night from Real who lost 1-0 and who had Van Horseface, Heinze and Robben playing for them. Royston Drenthe who was also briefly linked with us came on and didn't look anything that special at all.

It must have been a real off night for Madrid as they had been five points clear of Barca at the top going into Sunday's round of fixtures and that may have had an adverse effect on the atmosphere. Nevertheless the ground wasn't full by any means (I'd say at least 7000 empty seats) and the only atmosphere came from countless air horns which kept the atmosphere reasonably lively despite a complete lack of singing from either set of fans. There was only one very small section of fans behind one goal attempting to sing, which they did more or less throughout.

Afficionados of the drummer at Ewood will also be delighted to know Real also had three drummers (probably unofficial) in various points of the ground trying to whip up atmosphere intermittently! :lol:

If Sunday night was typical I can only conclude that lack of atmosphere is definitely an all seater stadia thing rather than a Premiership thing, and that the atmosphere at most Premiership grounds, Ewood included is much better than that apparent at the Bernabau the other night.

As for the game itself, very poor fare, both teams standing two yards off one another and tackling virtually non existent. Again on that basis give me the Premiership any day.

One thing I would say though, if anyone is in Madrid, you must do the tour of the ground and museum. Absolutely magnificent. Apparently Real or their players have won over 10,000 trophies or awards during their history.

Just got back from a weekend in Madrid and we went to see the Real Madrid v Getafe game on Sunday night which is a local derby of sorts as Getafe are based on the outskirts of Madrid.

The Bernabau stadium was absolutely magnificent and has a capacity of 87000. It was fascinating to compare the atmosphere from that game to a typical Premiership game or to that at Ewood Park.

It was a dire performance on the night from Real who lost 1-0 and who had Van Horseface, Heinze and Robben playing for them. Royston Drenthe who was also briefly linked with us came on and didn't look anything that special at all.

It must have been a real off night for Madrid as they had been five points clear of Barca at the top going into Sunday's round of fixtures and that may have had an adverse effect on the atmosphere. Nevertheless the ground wasn't full by any means (I'd say at least 7000 empty seats) and the only atmosphere came from countless air horns which kept the atmosphere reasonably lively despite a complete lack of singing from either set of fans. There was only one very small section of fans behind one goal attempting to sing, which they did more or less throughout.

Afficionados of the drummer at Ewood will also be delighted to know Real also had three drummers (probably unofficial) in various points of the ground trying to whip up atmosphere intermittently! :lol:

If Sunday night was typical I can only conclude that lack of atmosphere is definitely an all seater stadia thing rather than a Premiership thing, and that the atmosphere at most Premiership grounds, Ewood included is much better than that apparent at the Bernabau the other night.

As for the game itself, very poor fare, both teams standing two yards off one another and tackling virtually non existent. Again on that basis give me the Premiership any day.

One thing I would say though, if anyone is in Madrid, you must do the tour of the ground and museum. Absolutely magnificent. Apparently Real or their players have won over 10,000 trophies or awards during their history.

Getafe's qoal was quality, when Madrid were still celebrating a goal which had been disallowed Getafe took the free kick quickly and burst up the other end and scored!

It ended up about 4 Getafe attackers v 2 Madrid defenders :lol:

Getafe's qoal was quality, when Madrid were still celebrating a goal which had been disallowed Getafe took the free kick quickly and burst up the other end and scored!

It ended up about 4 Getafe attackers v 2 Madrid defenders :lol:

Exactly, that rattled the natives cages sufficiently to liven the atmosphere up for a while but even that sort of soon subsided.

:)

Don't know if you're allowed those air horns in this country, or where to get them, but the right number of those in the BBE would make it sound like a cracking atmosphere even when there is none if you see what I mean.

Exactly, that rattled the natives cages sufficiently to liven the atmosphere up for a while but even that sort of soon subsided.

:)

Don't know if you're allowed those air horns in this country, or where to get them, but the right number of those in the BBE would make it sound like a cracking atmosphere even when there is none if you see what I mean.

Could be worth a try, as long as they are the horns that sound decent on the TV when I watch Spanish football and not the horns which are so annoying when it's kids for a kid at Ewood.....

Burnley fans show they do have a brain cell between them! :o

Pity our fans were never given the option to vote on the drummer boy!

Well done them. Incidentally this is related to their new singing area. IMO were there to be a singing area created, it would significantly improve the atmosphere at Ewood but only if it were to be accompanied by a drumming ban, otherwise it would be in vain.

I had to laugh when the Bumley link said 'goal' music :lol:

I can imagine the tannoy operator ont` Turd (looking like Mrs Overall) rummidging around, looking for the record, blowing the dust off it, winding the gramaphone up & the goal music crackling into life!

(by that time, play would`ve started up again)

acornantiques.jpg

Edited by cletus

Just seen this, the drummer has decided to retire as he's now got arthritis.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport...overs_drummer_/

The drummer was sat in the riverside towards the Darwen end on saturday, obviously hes been run out of the Blackburn end disappointed for the lad because he obviously tried to generate an atmosphere but was hounded down, Sad, his heart was in the right place.

Edited by JAL

The drummer was sat in the riverside towards the Darwen end on saturday, obviously hes been run out of the Blackburn end disappointed for the lad because he obviously tried to generate an atmosphere but was hounded down, Sad, his heart was in the right place.

Have you actually read the article???

Bill wouldn't have retired (and neither would Martin) if it weren't for the impact drumming has on the joints and tendons. I wish him all the best and will shake his hand again when I next see him.

I'm torn on this because I've been moaning for him to b****r off for years, but then having witnessed the deafening slience coming from the BBE in his absence during the Hull game, I was starting to want him to return!

I can only hope that the BBEnders start to get some songs going again now that they don't have any drumming to interfere. The contrast between us and the Hull fans who were superb and sang nearly all match couldn't have been greater. Yes I know they were away fans & on a high with being in the Prem for the first time, but it was still an embarrassing contrast.

I only get to Ewood 4-5 games a season, but I'm going to try and get BBE tickets next time to try and help the singing along.

I wonder if they'll let me in with my guitar?

common lads, lets make ewood the noisest loudest ground in the country again.

We cannot allow ourself to become silent like most other grounds around the country nor can we dwell on the loss of our drummer.

It's time now to start raise the roof and start making Ewood the loudest ground in the country again.

We have to try to get people in the Jack Walker to start singing as well.

Edited by scotchrover

We cannot allow ourself to become silent like most other grounds around the country nor can we dwell on the loss of our drummer.

It's time now to start raise the roof and start making Ewood the loudest ground in the country again.

Whadderya mean.. TRY to get people in the JW to start singing????? WE DO !!!! -_-

:huh: when was that then? :huh:

It`s simple....bring back a standing area.

Very inspiring, but it's a pity you didn't post it 12 years or so ago.

Bill-injurylawyersforyou.com is waiting to hear from you. Your injury is on a par with recent claims we have completed successfully for clients with Vibration White Finger. A company the size of Blackburn Rovers will have very deep pockets, and are very keen on good PR-just search the internet for Multi Faith Prayer Room.

Whilst I don't wish ill health on anybody, I'm delighted that Bill Toland is retiring from drumming.

I remember a couple of years ago at an away game I tried to engage Mr Toland in a polite conversation to let him know that many supporters found his drumming quite infuriating, but he just gave me a blank stare.

I rather hope that his severe arthritis and his admission that his joints are completely worn out through the constant thumping of drums, may serve to act as a warning to other unscrupulous individuals who might be tempted to indulge in the mindless pursuit of drumming.

John Williams and Tom Finn seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that the constant thudding of drums is hugely popular with supporters. On the contrary, many fans found the drumming completely vexatious.

I'd be interested if anybody could confirm the rumour that Bill Toland benefited from free football tickets as a drummer. If that rumour is true, I find it quite disgusting that somebody so deeply unpopular could get free tickets - somebody who has ended up with arthritis as a result of it.

Anybody thinking about taking over the drumstick from Mr Toland, please do NOT engage in this activity, which will eventually play havoc with your joints.

You have been warned....

Whilst I don't wish ill health on anybody, I'm delighted that Bill Toland is retiring from drumming.

I remember a couple of years ago at an away game I tried to engage Mr Toland in a polite conversation to let him know that many supporters found his drumming quite infuriating, but he just gave me a blank stare.

I rather hope that his severe arthritis and his admission that his joints are completely worn out through the constant thumping of drums, may serve to act as a warning to other unscrupulous individuals who might be tempted to indulge in the mindless pursuit of drumming.

John Williams and Tom Finn seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that the constant thudding of drums is hugely popular with supporters. On the contrary, many fans found the drumming completely vexatious.

I'd be interested if anybody could confirm the rumour that Bill Toland benefited from free football tickets as a drummer. If that rumour is true, I find it quite disgusting that somebody so deeply unpopular could get free tickets - somebody who has ended up with arthritis as a result of it.

Anybody thinking about taking over the drumstick from Mr Toland, please do NOT engage in this activity, which will eventually play havoc with your joints.

You have been warned....

Nice, very nice.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.