BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn End Drummers ?

ABBEY

Blackburn End Drummers, what do you think.  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Blackburn End Drummers, what do you think.

• They should be allowed to stay
    • They should be made to go
    • Not bothered either way
    • Its all Groobys Fault.. Get into em.

So are the crowds, do you think there might be a connection

386036[/snapback]

There is a connection but I don't believe it's the obvious one - which I think most people would define as all-seater stadia. We live in a dramatically changing culture, people's expectations have changed, to an extent there is an attitude of "OK I've paid my money, now entertain me." I don't pretend to know the answer, though I do think a lot about it, but I'm sure it is more than shooting the drummer. I feel the atmosphere question is very complex and IF the club can solve it this will be a major step forward.

All-seater stadia or not I believe the terrace culture would have disappered over time, the Taylor Report merely hastened its demise.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are Paul - the future without drums!!  thumbs-up.gif  tongue.gif

Agree on the F/S stand though, however nothing wrong with the Riverside ( I started my Rovers days off in the old Riverside-  the BB End was the place in them days to work your self into as you got older  - or climb over the wall that used to be at the corner  smile.gif

386037[/snapback]

True, there is nothing wrong with the Riverside. For me I've got used to the facilites in the FS and would prefer to still have those facilities available. I don't think they are available in the Riverside.

One of my kids has graduated to the BBE, another will in a couple of seasons. They almost see it as a rite of passage. Which maybe suggests there is still a desire for a terrace culture, there is certainly a desire for a "better atmosphere" which is how the kids perceive the BBE.

I admit I haven't been for years, but the drums would irritate the tits off me. If they were proper drummers, who can knock out a tune, then that would be OK. I'm not asking for someone to be the next Igor Cavalera here, just more than BOOM BOOM BOOM.

And whilst we're on the subject of music, we should ban the Sheffield Wednesday band. Can the planks only the The Great ____ing Escape ?. Watch a rugby match in Paris to see what could have instead of this 3rd rate 'two world wars and one world cup' dog vomit we have to put up with.

Musicians should only be allowed if they have a bit of flair and originality about them.

Get rid. I think it effects the atmosphere loads. It's the same 3 chants over and over again because of that drum. The Blackburn End used to be ace for thinking up original and funny chants, now it borders on being embarrasing with such well thought out classics as "GERINTOEM" It's just mindless crap, puntuated by the out of time scally drummer that seems to have a core of little wanabe hooligans sat with him.

Get rid and quickly.

I've voted to get rid of them - I would be in favour of some type of drummer - but toned down slightly and less of a leader of the songs but just to join in with the singing once songs are underway. This may be asking a lot...

My only other question was how are the feelings of fans towards the drummer going to be put into action by the club.

Im thinking that although the club introduced the drummers without asking anyone, that they won't as easily remove them.

It sounds worse on tele. Opposition goalkeeper has a goal kick, thud thud about 15 times.

386069[/snapback]

now that is embarrassing......

mind you it really frightens and puts the goalie off rolleyes.gif

we only sing when were winning sing when were winning.

i can only imagine what some would make of the real "you are my sunshine"

or r r r oooo vvvv.............and me finish it off with abbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey villllllllllllllllllllllage and everyone kick the crap outta me,or the bear went over the mountain or blow the man down.........or your going home i f ambulence

hee hee can just imagine it on here ...

I have no problem at all with the drummers. They do perhaps stop new songs being sung with their repetitions of Blue and White Army and Get into Em but it all adds to the atmosphere and thay do get us singing when all goes quite. thumbs-up.gif

386054[/snapback]

This is partly my position.

I have no problem at all with the drummer (note singular) starting a song, when it is quiet. For me that is what he should be there for.

However. FOUR?!?! They cant keep time with each other nevermind the crowd.

Starting banging the drum as a song starts up, it simply stops it dead. Recent matches I have given up starting songs (as I usually do a fair amount) because some arse with a stick and a drum joins in and in dies on its arse. I am not shagging my throat week after week for that fool to simply stop what i 'create'. A number of the louder people who sit near me feel the same about this.

Abbs - shall we get some of the classics going on Saturday?!!? laugh.gif

Get rid...........not only do they ruin the atmosphere they get free season tickets, WHY? I go to away games and often get the songs going however do i get free away tickets.......NO!!! Do the fans at the top right of the BBE get free tickets when the drummers not there....NO!!

Why not get rid for 4/5 games and see what happens.........TBH i cannot see the atmosphere deteriating at all. Or better still shove em in the Darwen end to annoy the away fans.

We definatly need to get rid of the drummers. When they bang at the opposition goal keeper and that they can't even keep time with the simplest of chants makes it all the more embarressing.

Does one of the drummers read this board?

Does one of the drummers read

386096[/snapback]

A little optimistic to expect that level of intelligence wink.gif , but there is an ex-drummer on this board.

The pathetic attempt to put the keepers off at goal kicks is just downright embarrassing, isn't the point to improve atmosphere rather than make the club look silly.

as someone who does not sing and is note deaf, I can understand why some fans do not sing, however it is important that fans that do want to sing can do so.

Why can we not have a singing section in which fans that want to sing can book certain blocks of seats etc.

then everyone is happy biggrin.gif ( and if you belive that you have faith in anything wink.gif )

All-seater stadia or not I believe the terrace culture would have disappered over time, the Taylor Report merely hastened its demise.

386039[/snapback]

Maybe so , but that's no reason to further hasten the demise of the one part of the ground where there's still a desire to keep at least a bit of atmosphere going .

Keeping these idiot drummers is positively helping to kill the atmosphere completely . They simply cannot play the damn instruments to any level beyond that of total embarrassment . Contrast that with the two drummers who Portsmouth brought with them ; their drums were not as loud but were played with a degree of rhythmic quality that our lot could only dream of .

IMO , and I've said it before , BRISA should put this issue at the top of their agenda . At the very least a season (or ten) without them could be tried as an experiment .

PS ...I agree with those who say that the PA system is now at an intolerable level , making conversation at half time nigh on impossible . Is it a ploy to drive people down the concourse to spend money at the bar ?

One of the half wits was behind me in the Riverside last season banging his firkin drum so loud it was bloody ridiculous...you couldnt hear a thing. A good few around me were really annoyed and told the beating gurning idiot to bugger off home and play with it somewhere else - he looked to the steward nervously for help who said that he had lost his hearing so he wouldnt be able to hear the slaps if anyone fancied beating the drummer

Firstly, i would like to say that its nonsence the amount of drummers we have. You only need 1 or at most 2, like at pompey or Spurs. However, i think that they can do a job. If they can be encouraged to only drum when the crowd is quiet and make sure it is in rythm. If there is a chant going, then there is no reason to bang over it with a out of tune drum!

However i also think that some people in the bbe have got lazy and just wanna let the drum do the work for them. Some have got too used to the drummers. Something has to change anyway! tinykit.gif

Can't a group of those who want to sing and chant have a word with the drummer?  Surely there could be a compromise somewhere instead of muttering and moaning and all could be accommodated?  ph34r.gif

386105[/snapback]

This thread has made it pretty clear what those words would be laugh.gif .

I'm against the drummer personally, but to be fair to the lad(s) they can get a chant going now and again. Mindless or not, at least everyone can get involved - I've been to a few away games where I didn't have a Scooby what the song was......but that's a different story I suppose, and links back to the fact that beyond a few songs our crowd is very repetitive at home (so I've just shot down my own argument then - good going ER wink.giftongue.gif ).

It definately should be at the top of BRISA's list of things to do.

Do the drummers get free tickets from the club?

Get rid. Not needed at the games and the utterly pathetic 'Gerrintterum' chant is an embarrasment to the entire club.

As for the Family Stand - how about next to the BBE in the lower Jack Walker? Good atmosphere - near the most vocal section but allows more fans who would like to sing to get into the BBE.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.