BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

And just to rub it in today: Kuqi scored 2, Jeffers scored 1, Joe Garner scored 1.

Whats the chances of getting that lot back for next week? Answer:about the same chance as we have of beating Chelsea.

SEASON OVER!!!!

Yes but apart from the excitement it might provide at least we are not in a relegation battle. Seasons been over for me for sometime now. Sick and tired of the asinine refffing, another bogus one against us today, handball my arse, was the Villa player onside for the first? couldn't tell. Matter of fact I am not even watching hardly any footy at the mo' When the FA get some competent officials out there, there is a strong case for refs who have played the game ffs, and they can convince me this game is not skewed (fixed if you choose) perhaps I'll get more interested again. That and beating Chelsea.

Kuqi, Jeffers and Garner give me a break Fife. Was always fond of Kuqi but... come on.

Look to next season, if Sparky is still here with a fully fit squad and perhaps a reasonable break with the injuries I'll be feeling better. I see Benni hit his penalty exactly the same spot he did the two against Bolton, he'll have one saved next time.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dunn signing is worse than Roberts because it was absolutely obvious that he wouldn't do the business when we signed him, at least with Roberts is was debateable. Dunn ceased to be fit for Premiership football along time since and was the one who instigated leaving in the 1st place by thinking he should play central midfield despite his best performances coming from elsewhere. He was great the 1st time round, we should have left it at that. It's obvious that burst of pace he used to have is long gone and it ain't coming back. Get rid, oh sorry, we can't...

Edited by bish1982

£1.5 million for Dunn is without doubt Hughes's worst signing pound for pound. Fat boy would have been free next month - had he really wanted to move to Rovers for football reasons he could have signed a pre-contract in January and got himself into shape to be able to tackle a Hughes pre-season.

As it is he's used the Bolton situation to force Rovers to pay good money for him, signed a contract on his terms, and now he's living where he wants to live, drinking where he wants to drink, and there is no chance he will ever be match fit or match capable at the top level ever again.

I strongly suspect Hughes didn't really want this signing - he doesn't risk money on lazy idiots. It looks like a publicity stunt which has gone badly wrong - today it cost us points as well as money.

There is something more than mere dissapointment with footballing performance in this and other posts from this poster.

What's up? Has he cut you up on Audley Range? Knocked over your pint? Looked at your Mrs?

Issues here.

ffs

Edited by mike at picture

Possibly. However, I think Tris is feeling like many of us at the moment, I don't think the word gutted is strong enough. In spite of all the hype about fitness, the squad have rolled over for too many matches this season. We know we have the capability and talent to do much better. I can see attendances declining for the run-in - hope I'm wrong and looks like the squad have already gone on their holidays.

USA has some relevant points too, however, I wouldn't rule out the relegation battle yet - there are still around 20 points to play for. :angry:

£1.5 million for Dunn is without doubt Hughes's worst signing pound for pound. Fat boy would have been free next month - had he really wanted to move to Rovers for football reasons he could have signed a pre-contract in January and got himself into shape to be able to tackle a Hughes pre-season.

As it is he's used the Bolton situation to force Rovers to pay good money for him, signed a contract on his terms, and now he's living where he wants to live, drinking where he wants to drink, and there is no chance he will ever be match fit or match capable at the top level ever again.

I strongly suspect Hughes didn't really want this signing - he doesn't risk money on lazy idiots. It looks like a publicity stunt which has gone badly wrong - today it cost us points as well as money.

I was waiting to see who'd be the first to make Dunn our latest scapegoat after his mis-placed pass today - should have guessed really. Your increasingly hysterical posts on Dunn clearly show you lost all perspective on this some time ago and are now hoping and praying he'll fail so you can stick the boot in.

The fact is we won't know whether Dunn was a good signing or not until well into next season. He's been indifferent so far, although he's had some decent games - Bolton away he was our man of the match I thought - and I suspect he'll only get back to peak fitness after he's had a full pre-season behind him. However, even now when he's nowhere near his best he's still a useful squad player to have.

Remember that although he cost us points yesterday, he's also provided assists for a few goals this season which have won us points. However, that doesn't fit into Tris's bizarre agenda does it.

I felt a bit sorry for Dunn yesterday. He seemed to be trying to do too much yesterday when he came on and that was a big reason why he lost the ball. He was the ony player on the pitch in blue and white who was prepared to actually try something different and open Villa up. Bentley and Pedersen were far poorer for the whole game. We desperately lacked creativity and the game was crying out for the wingers to get involved. I still think he'll come good and next season is when we'll see the best from him.

The fact is we won't know whether Dunn was a good signing or not until well into next season. He's been indifferent so far, although he's had some decent games - Bolton away he was our man of the match I thought - and I suspect he'll only get back to peak fitness after he's had a full pre-season behind him. However, even now when he's nowhere near his best he's still a useful squad player to have.

Remember that although he cost us points yesterday, he's also provided assists for a few goals this season which have won us points. However, that doesn't fit into Tris's bizarre agenda does it.

I've said throughout that we should only have signed him on a free and on an incentive based package. That people are prepared to give him until "well into next season" to see if it's a decent signing or not conveniently rights off £1.5 million and nearly a years wages.

Can you imagine the stick Warnock would be getting if he'd showed up and performed like Dunn has? He wouldn't be getting months and months to come good.

On a free, it could have been an ok signing for a squad player. £1.5 million was money very badly spent - that's what I find so annoying - hardly a bizarre agenda.

Edited by Tris

I'm undecided on Dunn. When he plays as he did yesterday I think he has lost the plot with no hope of a return. Jesus, he could not have tried harder to give them the ball for the second goal - he gave them it once, they messed it up and he stumbled into the ball again and gave them it straight back!!

But when I think of the ball he played to Mccarthy for the Arsenal goal and the performance at Bolton I think he needs to be given time.

The best thing that can happen for Mr. Dunn is that Savage and Reid get back for next season and show him the level you need to be at to compete in the premier league in this Blackburn Rovers team. At present one injury or suspension means he's a definite starter.

There is just something about Dunny, I feel the need to give him more time, there is always that thought that he is going to do something wonderful and that is the reason I will have patience with him.

I've said throughout that we should only have signed him on a free and on an incentive based package. That people are prepared to give him until "well into next season" to see if it's a decent signing or not conveniently rights off £1.5 million and nearly a years wages.

Can you imagine the stick Warnock would be getting if he'd showed up and performed like Dunn has? He wouldn't be getting months and months to come good.

On a free, it could have been an ok signing for a squad player. £1.5 million was money very badly spent - that's what I find so annoying - hardly a bizarre agenda.

While Dunn hasn't been great he hasn't been terrible either.

Before getting too righteous I would like to point out a couple of things:

1. Roberts cost twice as much and has hardly played.

2. When we first signed Reid, for more money, he was atrocious. Then he came good. One of our best players now.

3. Bentley was supremely average until the start of this season.

All in all Dunnie for the (in football terms) paltry sum of a million quid has been okay. No worse than many of our signings in recent years.

To illustrate:

Players we have signed for that sort of money or less who have instantly performed: Nelsen, Samba, Tugay, Warnock, Freidel, Zurab

Players, including on more money, who have not: Reid, Mokoena, Bentley, Pedersen, Roberts, Emerton, Nonda, Ooijer. Obviously you can go back to Grabbi etc. too

It is the exception rather than the rule that a player comes in and instantly fits right in at bargan prices.

As for the point about we could have left signing him to the end of the season on a free there is a major issue. With the injuries we have we desperately needed a central midfielder, in several games we have had one of our only two other fit CMs (Mokoena and Tugay) injured or suspended. As average as Dunn has been we would have been screwed without him.

Of course we could have signed someone else but in the January window I did not see any other CM move of more quality for a similar amount of money.

His ability is still evident but worryingly he appears to have lost both pace and stamina! Unless he gets at least one of em back then thats both the wings and midfield that he can't be considered for...... and that certainly doesn't leave anywhere else for him does it ?

I was waiting to see who'd be the first to make Dunn our latest scapegoat after his mis-placed pass today - should have guessed really. Your increasingly hysterical posts on Dunn clearly show you lost all perspective on this some time ago and are now hoping and praying he'll fail so you can stick the boot in.

That one post sums Tris up. Anyone who's been on the board for any time knows the reason for Tris's behaviour, so disregard it. Or just say "He's left you, get over it"

That one post sums Tris up. Anyone who's been on the board for any time knows the reason for Tris's behaviour, so disregard it. Or just say "He's left you, get over it"

As a relative newcomer to this board I really dont know what the guy's story is but posting b@ll*cks like "fat boy Dunn"?

He needs to get a grip

Yes but apart from the excitement it might provide at least we are not in a relegation battle. Seasons been over for me for sometime now. Sick and tired of the asinine refffing, another bogus one against us today, handball my arse, was the Villa player onside for the first? couldn't tell. Matter of fact I am not even watching hardly any footy at the mo' When the FA get some competent officials out there, there is a strong case for refs who have played the game ffs, and they can convince me this game is not skewed (fixed if you choose) perhaps I'll get more interested again. That and beating Chelsea.

Kuqi, Jeffers and Garner give me a break Fife. Was always fond of Kuqi but... come on.

Look to next season, if Sparky is still here with a fully fit squad and perhaps a reasonable break with the injuries I'll be feeling better. I see Benni hit his penalty exactly the same spot he did the two against Bolton, he'll have one saved next time.

That was just by way of illustrating a point USA; you surely didn't think I was seriously suggesting re-signing all or any of them at this stage of the season. Come on I may be getting on a bit but I am not senile (and I have a certificate to prove it :).

No: the point I was making is that all the players I mentioned which we have let go this season could be relied on to put the effort in, and they have (ironically) all scored goals today. The further point was that we have exactly no chance at all of beating Chelsea with the current team unless they make a supreme effort next week. (same as our chance of getting back the 3 mentioned players to do it for us). Oh! Never mind! :rolleyes:

Edited by Fife Rover

That was just by way of illustrating a point USA; you surely didn't think I was seriously suggesting re-signing all or any of them at this stage of the season. Come on I may be getting on a bit but I am not senile (and I have a certificate to prove it :).

No: the point I was making is that all the players I mentioned which we have let go this season could be relied on to put the effort in, and they have (ironically) all scored goals today. The further point was that we have exactly no chance at all of beating Chelsea with the current team unless they make a supreme effort next week. (same as our chance of getting back the 3 mentioned players to do it for us). Oh! Never mind! :rolleyes:

Isn't it time to close this topic? FFS Dunny's a Rovers player whatever we all thought at the time and we shouldn't still be debating whether or not was a good signing.

Any comment on his performance in matches should be in the specific match thread

Isn't it time to close this topic? FFS Dunny's a Rovers player whatever we all thought at the time and we shouldn't still be debating whether or not was a good signing.

Any comment on his performance in matches should be in the specific match thread

Why? There are open threads about just about every other player.

Oh good Fife, I thought a little touch of sunshine had sent you quite mad. Glad to know you are actually alright

While Dunn hasn't been great he hasn't been terrible either.

Before getting too righteous I would like to point out a couple of things:

1. Roberts cost twice as much and has hardly played.

2. When we first signed Reid, for more money, he was atrocious. Then he came good. One of our best players now.

3. Bentley was supremely average until the start of this season.

All in all Dunnie for the (in football terms) paltry sum of a million quid has been okay. No worse than many of our signings in recent years.

To illustrate:

Players we have signed for that sort of money or less who have instantly performed: Nelsen, Samba, Tugay, Warnock, Freidel, Zurab

Players, including on more money, who have not: Reid, Mokoena, Bentley, Pedersen, Roberts, Emerton, Nonda, Ooijer. Obviously you can go back to Grabbi etc. too

It is the exception rather than the rule that a player comes in and instantly fits right in at bargan prices.

As for the point about we could have left signing him to the end of the season on a free there is a major issue. With the injuries we have we desperately needed a central midfielder, in several games we have had one of our only two other fit CMs (Mokoena and Tugay) injured or suspended. As average as Dunn has been we would have been screwed without him.

Of course we could have signed someone else but in the January window I did not see any other CM move of more quality for a similar amount of money.

You completely miss the point. Not a single other player you mention could have been had for free 6 months after we paid an overinflated fee for them.

Dunn's fee was undisclosed.

I think you can be pretty sure that the amount actually paid reflected the contractual circumstances and that Big Sam had done a good job in nailing BIG CLUB before we exploited the situation. All this £1.5m and £2m talk is the bluenoses covering their embarassment- sure we will pay it if I make my debut as centre forward in the Cup Final and other equally unlikely things come to pass.

We'd have been a bit stuck had we waited until summer given the Reid and Savage injuries.

You completely miss the point. Not a single other player you mention could have been had for free 6 months after we paid an overinflated fee for them.

Actually ooijer would have been free in 6 months, maybe 12 at most. Most of them had 12 months left on deals tho

Where in my post have I mentioned anything at all about Dunn? I was referring to the strikers!

I'm undecided on Dunn. When he plays as he did yesterday I think he has lost the plot with no hope of a return. Jesus, he could not have tried harder to give them the ball for the second goal - he gave them it once, they messed it up and he stumbled into the ball again and gave them it straight back!!

With regard to yesterday I felt it was right to bring him on simply because Tugay and the Axe play too deep - there's nothing linking the midfield with the attack . Yes the pass that led to the goal wasn't good but it would have helped if one or two of his team mates actually gave him a few options by moving around and wanting the ball . Our off the ball movement (except for the odd half a game ) is poor , and the signals we send out by our deep defending is similar . Yesterday at times , against an average team at home , we had all the outfield players in the last third of the field - that's the kind of thing we should never do . Never .

Dunny might still be an option in the future but only if surrounded by Reid and Savage . Maybe only if we have a 5 man midfield ....which as someone pointed out in another thread should be the only option next week .

I did actually address that at the end of the post. We desperately needed a midfielder in the January window so we bought him. Without a midfielder we would seriously be in the poo as we only have two proper CMs in Tugay and Mokoena.

There is also the fact that if we hadn't have signed him then he definately would have gone to Bolton. Everybody will go "oh, but if hes a true rover he would have waited for them to come in at the end of the season" but in all fairness I believe that Dunnie would have been entirely entitled to sign for Bolton as, quite rightly, he would be apprahensive of finding himself in a position of being without a club. He needs to protect himself: Hughes could leave, or the board could have a change of heart or a better player become available and Dunn would be left high and dry.

A million pounds is not a huge outlay in the greater scheme of things.

With regard to yesterday I felt it was right to bring him on simply because Tugay and the Axe play too deep - there's nothing linking the midfield with the attack . Yes the pass that led to the goal wasn't good but it would have helped if one or two of his team mates actually gave him a few options by moving around and wanting the ball . Our off the ball movement (except for the odd half a game ) is poor , and the signals we send out by our deep defending is similar . Yesterday at times , against an average team at home , we had all the outfield players in the last third of the field - that's the kind of thing we should never do . Never .

Dunny might still be an option in the future but only if surrounded by Reid and Savage . Maybe only if we have a 5 man midfield ....which as someone pointed out in another thread should be the only option next week .

Totally agree about other players moving into space - half the time that Tugay gets caught in posession or passes to his invisible friend is due to lack of movement.

At the top of his game Dunn offers something in midfield that few other players can match. The reality is - we couldn't afford a young player with the same potential - and definitely not the finished article. So we have to put our faith in a player that has yet (mainly due to injury) to fully fulfill his potential. I think it was a gamble to buy Dunn - but without gambles like this we will always be a mid-table team - as (unlike Spuds, barcodes, West Ham, Aston Villa etc etc) we can't afford to buy players like Dunn or Bellamy if they weren't in some way damaged goods.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.