BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

I`ve heard from a source who works at Parcel Force who deliver to the Rovers Training Camp that poor Dunny has sustained a back injury in training. I cant confirm this but if it is true it`s a blow for us. Could explain why he hasnt figured yet.

That would go against M Hughes quote tat says Dunny is flying in training and ready for Sheff Utd on Saturday

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would go against M Hughes quote tat says Dunny is flying in training and ready for Sheff Utd on Saturday

Tat indeed.

Surely if he was anywhere close he'd have been involved today.

After all, Hughes included a Liverpool reserve who last started a PL game on September 17th - and a Hertha Berlin bench warmer who's been lucky to grab 20 mins here and there this season.

If Dunny was "anywhere close" he'd have been on for 20 mins to get even closer. The fact he didn't even make the bench in the absence of Tugay, Savage and Reid speaks volumes.

Edited by Tris

Tat indeed.

Surely if he was anywhere close he'd have been involved today.

After all, Hughes included a Liverpool reserve who last started a PL game on September 17th - and a Hertha Berlin bench warmer who's been lucky to grab 20 mins here and there this season.

If Dunny was "anywhere close" he'd have been on for 20 mins to get even closer. The fact he didn't even make the bench in the absence of Tugay, Savage and Reid speaks volumes.

Both the players quoted above, however, have been physically fit all season, and match fit as they(Warnock at least) have been having reserve run outs when not on first team duty.

They also haven't had to contend with Souness-esque training methods which are guaranteed to make lumps of lard out of previously healthy specimens. (Certain ex-players have been as complimentary about Bruce's methods as everyone was about Souness')

Hughes is, as he's saying, keeping Dunn at home, building him up to the level of fitness that you would expect from a Premiership player not doing "old-style" training. We didn't need him today, and Hughes (being clever) knew that. All those on Dunny's side would rather that when he came back he was 100% and ready for the rest of the season. Anything less and we might lose him- and make no mistake- if he gets to the 100% that Hughes obviously sees him to be we have a much better talent on our hands than most other teams have.

Hughes, an honest, decent and truthful man, says that Dunn may be involved at Sheffield United. I personally hope he is, but only if he's ready.

He's supposed to be a bloody professional. He should be getting himself in shape, no matter what the training is. It's a total joke that he wasn't in game shape, much less that he was a couple of weeks away.

I've said before that Dunn is what we have been missing in the midfield - someone willing to take on players and create space for his teammates, but he really has to get his mindset together and become the player he should be - not just relying on his talent alone.

He's supposed to be a bloody professional. He should be getting himself in shape, no matter what the training is. It's a total joke that he wasn't in game shape, much less that he was a couple of weeks away.

I've said before that Dunn is what we have been missing in the midfield - someone willing to take on players and create space for his teammates, but he really has to get his mindset together and become the player he should be - not just relying on his talent alone.

Oh come off it, he, like many a footballer, they are robots, who have been spoon fed from their teens by coaches and managers, they havent been taught to think for themselves; heck they wouldnt know how to wipe their backsides if it wasnt for instructions from their agents.

Just look at the number of players that burn themselves out before their 30's. The number of players who are inteligent enough to stay fit into their late 30's and continue at the top level can be counted on one hand.

I would suggest that Hughes and his back room staff are attempting to cure that lack of physical training that Dunn hasnt had for the last 3 - 5 years.

Didn't Birmingham have loads of injuries last year that led fans to call into question their training routines? We are not just fit but one of the fittest teams around and Hughes always complains when players miss any of preseason because that's when you really build up the reserves of strength that get you through the number of games you have to play. Dunn has not trained with a squad of players for some time - most of the work he was doing appears to have been general fitness stuff and rather than rush him in and have him fail or break down Mark Hughes is erring on the side of caution and I for one agree with him.

I am genuinely excited that DD is in tomorrows squad, and from what I have read I know a few others will be too. Some posters on here have commented on the lines of we should not have re-signed him, too much of a risk, never go back and so but I reckon even those people must have an element of joy about seeing one of the very few genuinely local boys with potential to play interntional football back at our club again.

I brings Pauls post of some time ago back into sharp focus RE We Need A Hero. If he does the business, Tugay carries on a wee while, Derbyshire continues his progress etc then I can see some of the feel good factor at Ewood returning in the next few months.

Good luck Dunny, there will be a big welcome back from me in the Jack Walker upper tomorrow!

Didn't Birmingham have loads of injuries last year that led fans to call into question their training routines? We are not just fit but one of the fittest teams around and Hughes always complains when players miss any of preseason because that's when you really build up the reserves of strength that get you through the number of games you have to play. Dunn has not trained with a squad of players for some time - most of the work he was doing appears to have been general fitness stuff and rather than rush him in and have him fail or break down Mark Hughes is erring on the side of caution and I for one agree with him.

That's certainly what I've heard, especially last season (my local is majority Bluenose).

Their injuries last season rivalled ours or Newcastles in this. Dunno about this season, the pub's mysterious filled with Villa fans since they went down ;)

I'm jumping in to this thread quite late, so don't know if this has metioned before. I wonder if the manager's kept him out so his debut's at Ewood, thinking the boost we'll give him by raising the roof as he runs out will be more valuable than a couple of substitute appearances away from home...

Simon :brfc:

Edited by b12_simon

I still remain very wary of this signing. I think the weight of expectation on his shoulders might mean that he fails or tries to do too much and gets injured again. I'm certainly not looking forward to his starting tomorrow and hope that if he does get on we're already winning. I can't get caught up in this local hero worship. I'd love to see him do well, but I just can't believe he will. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

hahaha.....i remember getting well lashed and signing that (dunny for england) at everyone at a party.....2001 i think it was........oh the days.....he was definately one of my favs back then....and ill also be over the moon to see him in those blue and white halves again...........also.......hello to b12 simon.......im moving back to birmingham from stuttgart on monday....ang on...christ.....ive just looked up the postcode of the house im hopefully moving into and f'ck a duck its b12 too, hahaa................what a dammmm small world. :blink:

one more thing......does anyone know what squad number dunn has been given.......what was his number when he first arrived on the scene.....i remember bein at villa park when he scored a screamer......under brian kidd.....he didnt wear 8 back then.

Edited by elwaxo

I still remain very wary of this signing. I think the weight of expectation on his shoulders might mean that he fails or tries to do too much and gets injured again. I'm certainly not looking forward to his starting tomorrow and hope that if he does get on we're already winning. I can't get caught up in this local hero worship. I'd love to see him do well, but I just can't believe he will. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

You're right to be sceptical, and indeed I wasn't keen on us signing him before Reid got knacked in training.

Now he's here though, I'm seeing a terrific atmosphere at Ewood tomorrow and hopefully some decent cover in midfield.

Fingers crossed you'll be proved wrong ;)

Simon :brfc:

Well i'm really looking forward to seeing Dunny back tomorrow as well.

Shame some people seem to have the knives sharpened for him before he starts.

No pressure at all then then lad, mom performance, a minimum of two 30 yard screamers, couple of goal saving challenges and a clearance or two off the line the minimum required............... :huh:

Well i'm really looking forward to seeing Dunny back tomorrow as well.

Shame some people seem to have the knives sharpened for him before he starts.

No pressure at all then then lad, mom performance, a minimum of two 30 yard screamers, couple of goal saving challenges and a clearance or two off the line the minimum required............... :huh:

I didn't want us to resign him but here's here now and could come back so i'll be supporting him like I used to...

I am genuinely excited that DD is in tomorrows squad, and from what I have read I know a few others will be too. Some posters on here have commented on the lines of we should not have re-signed him, too much of a risk, never go back and so but I reckon even those people must have an element of joy about seeing one of the very few genuinely local boys with potential to play interntional football back at our club again.

I brings Pauls post of some time ago back into sharp focus RE We Need A Hero. If he does the business, Tugay carries on a wee while, Derbyshire continues his progress etc then I can see some of the feel good factor at Ewood returning in the next few months.

Good luck Dunny, there will be a big welcome back from me in the Jack Walker upper tomorrow!

You have nicely summed up my position on Dunny's return there Oz. I freely admit I was one of the most vociferous posters against us re-signing him. But all the time my arguments were based on how I saw it from a common sense view, and not how I nostalgically wished it to be. When i heard that Notlob were in for him and that he had passed a strict medical with them, my heart took over my head and I wanted us to go for him, and when we actually got him, I have to admit I was over the moon, because that meant he had also satisfied MH and our strict requirements.

There is still a nagging doubt about his ability to stay fit and injury free, but I really do hope he has taken on board all the lessons of his unhappy Brum experience and now sees this as a golden opporunity to prove to us all that he has grown up and wants to make the most of his second chance.

All the very best Dunny! Go out there and show us all what you can do, and keep on doing it! :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.