BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame some people seem to have the knives sharpened for him before he starts.

Yes it is Rev but the really sad thing is those folks will hold on to their opinions as if their life depended on it, picking out every flaw, every mistake anything to justify their opinion.

Me? Fresh start for Dunny as far as I am concerned, may he bring us what we need.

Yes it is Rev but the really sad thing is those folks will hold on to their opinions as if their life depended on it, picking out every flaw, every mistake anything to justify their opinion.

Me? Fresh start for Dunny as far as I am concerned, may he bring us what we need.

Why some aren't welcoming home a true Rover and a true talent is a mystery. Some people are very odd.

Why some aren't welcoming home a true Rover and a true talent is a mystery. Some people are very odd.

It's mainly made up of two types. People who are hugely jealous because Dunny is a local boy made good, which shows up the worthlessness of their own lives (or their girlfriends have left them to try to get off with Dunny), or the "he's left me and I'll never get over it" (about Souness) types. The latter hate Dunn because he had the temerity to argue with their beloved.

They're sad, I agree.

I hope he plays as well as we all know he can and that he stays fit enough to do so. BUT I do wonder if physically and mentally he is tough and hungry enough. We'll soon find out I guess. :huh:

I rem posting on here after we were promoted that Souness should sit Dunny and Bent down with him in his office throughout the close season to watch endless re-runs of Liverpool matches from around 1980. Dunny (who does possess more actual skill) to watch the peerless Souness dominate midfield opponents and boss a game and Marcus to watch and learn not only from Ian Rush's breathtaking finishing skills but mainly his total involvment in the game. To any young un's, it was often said that free scoring centre forward Rush was Liverpools best defender.

The basic lesson was to impress on our two how the burning hunger and desire displayed by Souness and Rush took them to the pinnacle of European football!

I guess Souey chose to spend the summer on holiday with his family though! :(

I am sure, that with the benefit of hindsight, there are things DD would have done differently. He is however only 27 with possibly his best years to come.

Souness was indeed a superb footballer. The same cannott be said of him as a coach. I doubt he had much to offer DD by way of guidence.

I hope he plays as well as we all know he can and that he stays fit enough to do so. BUT I do wonder if physically and mentally he is tough and hungry enough. We'll soon find out I guess. :huh:

I rem posting on here after we were promoted that Souness should sit Dunny and Bent down with him in his office throughout the close season to watch endless re-runs of Liverpool matches from around 1980. Dunny (who does possess more actual skill) to watch the peerless Souness dominate midfield opponents and boss a game and Marcus to watch and learn not only from Ian Rush's breathtaking finishing skills but mainly his total involvment in the game. To any young un's, it was often said that free scoring centre forward Rush was Liverpools best defender.

The basic lesson was to impress on our two how the burning hunger and desire displayed by Souness and Rush took them to the pinnacle of European football!

I guess Souey chose to spend the summer on holiday with his family though! :(

Well he certainly shouldn't have shown him his Scotland performances from that time- f*ing waster. Bloody good reason why he got 50 caps to Kenny's 100.

You dont win the League Cup, get us promotion and finish 6th if you arent a decent coach.

Maybe he isnt in the class of Ferguson, Mourinho, even Sparky in man management, but he was decent during his time.

You do if you have decent legacy players and an unlimited budget. When the money runs out and your own buys rule the roost with YOUR training methods, that's when it goes horribly wrong.

I don't fall into any camp with regard to Dunny. I genuinely would like to be proved wrong and for him to be a brilliant signing. There's something very likeable about the guy and I know he genuinely loves the club. I won't be looking for every mistake he makes BUT I really do think there is far too much expectation on fans part of a sudden return to form and performance levels that we cannot realistically expect, certainly in the short term. The optimist in me says he'll be a good signing but I am the world's greatest pessimist and I can just see it all going pear-shaped.

It's mainly made up of two types. People who are hugely jealous because Dunny is a local boy made good, which shows up the worthlessness of their own lives (or their girlfriends have left them to try to get off with Dunny), or the "he's left me and I'll never get over it" (about Souness) types. The latter hate Dunn because he had the temerity to argue with their beloved.

They're sad, I agree.

Me I was upset he left, but £5.5 million for a player who wasnt trying, was overweight, was always injured and was out on the town all the time was a ###### bargain.

And if he loved the club so much, he would never have left, falling out with the manager or not. Simple as.

I have more time for James Beattie to be honest

We cant really say we had an unlimited budget under Souness.

I think net spending was very low under him. Considering all the sales we made during that time.

And the legacy players like Peacock, et al? ;)

Yes, but if you exclude sales of players he DIDN'T buy- ie Duff and Dunn- he spent a fortune. I remember Grabbi, Andy Cole and Ferguson. Each in excess of £6m. How much EXACTLY did we recoup on them? I think you''ll find that sales of Sourpuss bought players in total haven't amounted to a molehill of beans

And I remember that Peacock had been jettisoned by Tony Parkes, and Sourpuss actually brought him back into the team "because he'd heard of him".

They're sad, I agree.

don't think that's the reason at all jan. the dunn detractors see a player who had it all in terms of future, raw ability and skill< yet didnt seem to want to take advantage of the skills he'd been blessed with.

remember when souness said he'd rather have dunnie in his team than joe cole? both skillfull players available to do something different, but the actual main difference is ATTITUDE. cole had the right attitude, listened to his managers and knuckled down to learn his trade better. The end result - englands best player at the world cup and before injury, a major part of chelsea's success.

the reason why people are frustrated with dunn is more down to knowing that he has the potential, but will probably never realise it.

of course, the game is littered with people like that, but it's especially a shame when you have a blackburn lad that seemingly prefers to go out on the town than put his football first in this shortish career.

Of course - i'm referring to the dunn under souness. David, hopefully, will have grown up a lot at bigclub & in mark hughes, now has a manager that every single one of the players respect. let's hope he knuckles down and becomes a huge success!

?

I for one, am very excited to see him back. I think he must have learned from his mistakes in the past & he probably wants to prove a few people wrong.

come on dunnie lad - do the business today!

I'm one who thinks we paid too much for him. I also think that IF he shows the potential he can, he will be exactly what our midfield needs. I don't think people don't want him to succeed, I think we've seen too much wasted potential to get excited again, knowing there is a good chance we'll get let down again.

And Jan, get over it - Souness has achieved European qualification twice, including the cup. If what he inherited was so great, why were we floundering before hiring him? Either they were poorly managed, or they weren't great at the time (or a combo).

Edited by American

I am excited about today. The prospect of seeing Dunny, Gamst and McCarthy exchanging passes puts me in mind of the Dunny, Duff and Jansen days. Please don't let me down lads. It's been a long time coming.

GOOD LUCK DUNNY ...WELCOME BACK TO HEAVEN....

Nuff said. And you Al!

To think later today we may have three players on the pitch who are actually Rovers fans. That's in the top flight an all. It's nigh on a miracle in this day and age. You can go on and on about who was right and who was wrong, the history and all the rest of it until you're blue in the face - truth is you and I don't know the full facts (and even if you do no one will believe you :lol: ).

Just be happy we've got one of our own returning this afternoon. On his day he can play a bit an all!

Go on Dunny!!

a player who wasnt trying, was overweight, was always injured and was out on the town all the time...........

..........................I have more time for James Beattie to be honest

:blink:

You're such a plonker :rolleyes:

I'll certainly be interested to see where he plays as it may be a pointer to how Hughes sees him.

We need a central midfielder more than anything but, thus far, Dunn has not been able to cement a place in that position. It, supposedly, was part of the tension that developed when at Rovers and when he signed for Brum Steve Bruce suggested that is where his future lay. Despite that he often ended up being played on the right.

I'm not sure he can play alongside Tugay. That may be the thinking of Hughes as his remarks about worrying about Tugay becoming burnt out may point to more game time for Mokoena or Bentley in the middle. Perhaps even Samba?

Me I was upset he left, but £5.5 million for a player who wasnt trying, was overweight, was always injured and was out on the town all the time was a ###### bargain.

And if he loved the club so much, he would never have left, falling out with the manager or not. Simple as.

I have more time for James Beattie to be honest

Time to forgive and forget pal.

I was his biggest critic last time around, but now welcome one of our own back into the fold.

It's an exciting day today or at least that's how I feel because of Dunn's return.

Welcome back Dunny, don't let us down.

remember when souness said he'd rather have dunnie in his team than joe cole? both skillfull players available to do something different, but the actual main difference is ATTITUDE. cole had the right attitude, listened to his managers and knuckled down to learn his trade better. The end result - englands best player at the world cup and before injury, a major part of chelsea's success.

the reason why people are frustrated with dunn is more down to knowing that he has the potential, but will probably never realise it.

I was with Souness at the time. The big difference between the two was that Dunny scored goals and Cole didn't. I think the crucial difference in both their careers was that Brum didn't develop Dunny as well as Chelsea developed Cole. Whilst 5.5m was brilliant money from our point of view and a move was probably due from his point of view I never understood him going to Brum in the first place. He really should have aimed higher.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.