BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton 0 Rovers 1

For me there were 3 truly great games in the 70's, Plymouth, Boxing Day '77 but this ranks for me as arguably the finest Rovers performance in all the circumstances.

We went to Bolton, who were riding high at the top of the table, midweek night match, and fought a ferocious rearguard action, for the majority of the game but then with about 15 minutes to go we swung a corner over, Bolton keeper Charlie Wright missed/dropped it and Faz turned the ball home from close range.

The game was watched by an astonishing crowd of 33,309 for the time (old 3rd division.)

At the end of the season Bolton were still comfortably champs and we heartbreakingly missed out on promotion by 2 points finishing 3rd. Heartbreaking because the very next season saw the introduction of 3 up 3 down!

Funnily enough, never hear this epic encounter mentioned much. Anyone else there?

Edited by RevidgeBlue

One of my first ever away trips, must have been biggest crowd I'd seen up to then.

Actually went with my "Auntie" (bolton fan) on 126, double decker from Adlington.

I can remember the goal going in but not much else apart from a heaving embankment. Eeeee them were days!!

One of my first ever away trips, must have been biggest crowd I'd seen up to then.

Actually went with my "Auntie" (bolton fan) on 126, double decker from Adlington.

I can remember the goal going in but not much else apart from a heaving embankment.   Eeeee them were days!!

388044[/snapback]

I had a feeling that might come up on here. Was just about to post something similar!!

Edited by mjs

Caught the football special from Blackburn station, remember the police coming on board just before the train was about to depart and dragging one of the Birdie’s off….the nutter one (anyone remember him?)

The usual walk from the station down to Burden, gob shut, scarf well hidden, praying not to be spotted. Going crazy when Faz scored in front of their lot in the Leaver End…then the decision at the end of the game….should I join the hundreds of Rovers fans who climbed over the wall at the back of the open end and headed back to the station along the tracks or endure the walk up the main road….

• 2 weeks later...

It was mayhem on the Embankment - my dad drove us over t'hill to the game, his first for many a year, only to witness what could only be described as a battle on the terraces. The efforts of the police at Bolton were always abysmal - one of the worst places in the country to go to as an away fan.

I remember reading the Daily Express the following day and seeing a photo of a train that had stopped behind the Embankment with various folk on it watching for free.

• 5 years later...

I was stood on the Burnden Terrace with my dad and uncle. I was 11, and hadn't witnessed an atmosphere like it. Can't remember seeing the goal as I couldn't really see a lot being amongst adults in the all standing area. Did we play Notts county away last game needing to win and someone (Swansea?) lose? I went to the Notts County game aswell with the whole family (if that was the right year!).

I was stood on the Burnden Terrace with my dad and uncle. I was 11, and hadn't witnessed an atmosphere like it. Can't remember seeing the goal as I couldn't really see a lot being amongst adults in the all standing area. Did we play Notts county away last game needing to win and someone (Swansea?) lose? I went to the Notts County game aswell with the whole family (if that was the right year!).

Partly correct 12miles.

That season when we won at Bolton in the old 3rd Div.(72-73). Notts C was the penultimate away game. A win was needed in reality but not mathematically(2 more games remained).Don Hutchings missed a golden chance for us late on.

The other match you mention was at Bristol Rovers for the last match of the season and Swansea had to lose at Preston in season 80-81 in the old 2nd Div.

Hope that clears things up.

I was at all those games by the way - still had to look it though.

Edited by whittle blue

Partly correct 12miles.

That season when we won at Bolton in the old 3rd Div.(72-73). Notts C was the penultimate away game. A win was needed in reality but not mathematically(2 more games remained).Don Hutchings missed a golden chance for us late on.

The other match you mention was at Bristol Rovers for the last match of the season and Swansea had to lose at Preston in season 80-81 in the old 2nd Div.

Hope that clears things up.

I was at all those games by the way - still had to look it though.

Thanks again WB, Crikey, got my years wrong there!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.