BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers 7 - 1 West Ham

user posted image

Great day out, sat in the darwen end, and they had Chris Acabusi (sp?) sat in with their fans.

Busi, whats the score, busi, busi, whats the score.

Fair play to him, he had a laugh about it.

I spent the whole day in Sunny Days in Rhodes with my late mate Jim and family. Watched a whole days footie that included some minor scottish game, I am pretty sure Everton were then on, Then Rovers finished off with Olympiakos v Panathanikos.

Had a few Wham boys in the bar who really were in peices.

We all had the time of our lives the followign weekend as England clinched a 2-2 draw in the Euros tinykit.gif

I keep saying this and no one listens, but Grabbi was Awesome that day, set up the first 3 goals and would have got one if Johnson hadnt tapped in a goal bound curling beauty, on the highlights you can see the top of me and RAF Rover's heads bouncing up and down like lunatics.

Anyone remember Sinclairs header - 3-1 jsut before halftime, sinclair heads a free header straight into the ground, could have made all the difference if that had gone in. How I laughed.

Grabbi got booked for the grievous crime of being pushed in the chest. Also heard one of the WHam players call the linesman a bald headed ####, to which assisitant linesman replied, ###### are useful, now (Please don't use that word again) off. Respect

I keep saying this and no one listens, but Grabbi was Awesome that day, set up the first 3 goals and would have got one if Johnson hadnt tapped in a goal bound curling beauty,

391117[/snapback]

My recollection was it was going a fraction wide. Johnson would have rightly been pillioried if he'd left it in the hope of giving Grabbi a goal.

Grabbi played OK that day but it rather summed him up that he couldn't find the net on a day we scored seven.

I seem to recall that rather uniquely we had something like 5 different midfielders on the scoresheet that day.

It was a great performance. Never seen us pile forward with such venom before or since.

Was it Foxe scored one of the funniest own goals ive seen.

And of course i got all excited about an assistant referee and liensman and combined them, sorry, his reply was still class though - it was Don Hutchinson who was the foul mouthed oik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Roeder stunned by magnificent seven

Daniel Taylor at Ewood Park

Monday October 15, 2001

The Guardian

Sven-Goran Eriksson’s voyage of exploration brought him to this ground yesterday where the ubiquitous Swede will have learned that if West Ham players won England the 1966 World Cup, as their supporters are occasionally prone to boast the chances of them having a telling impact in 2002 are almost non-existent.

Instead, after showing the backbone of a jellyfish on their way to the season’s most emphatic Premiership defeat, any talk of the far east in the West Ham dressing room next year is more likely to concern Grimsby and Norwich than it is the offerings in Japan and South Korea.

Whether Glenn Roeder will be around at that stage is open to debate but West Ham’s position in the relegation quicksand is not a false one and their beleaguered manager was at least realistic enough to acknowledge that, in an increasingly impatient business, he may not be given much time to retrieve the situation.

“In times like this I always think of the Rocky films. You can either lie down and be carried out of the ring or get up and start swinging,” he said.

“Look at Burnley and Stan Ternent. They lost 6-0 at home to Manchester City a couple of years ago and there was a massive question mark over his future. He survived and now he’s doing a great job. I’m still confident that, given time, I can do the same. I can cope, if other people can.”

It is easy to sympathise with a man who, more by default than anything else, inherited a creaking side last summer after initia!ly being informed that there was no hint even applying for the job.

Yet questions must also be asked whether the players are behind him because this pitiful surrender, two weeks after a 5-0 drubbing at Everton, suggests there is little of that Rocky spirit in his dressing room.

Paolo di Canio may be a talismanic force at Upton Park but take him out of the east end and he suddenly seems like Superman in the presence of kryptonite.

Trevor Sinclair appears to have his mind on Sunderland (as might Don Hutchison) and, after being sent off on his debut at Middlesbrough, Tomas Repka made it two red cards in his first three games yesterday. If he makes it a hat-trick in his next, one wonders whether he will get to take the referee home.

Graeme Souness felt a victory like this had been coming for his neat and industrious side, but he must still have been surprised to see his players speed into a three goal lead before half an hour had elapsed.

Until Garry Flitcroft headed in Corrado Grabbi’s clever centre, West Ham had actually acquitted themselves quite well but that 18th-minute breakthrough was the catalyst for the most abject surrender imaginable.

Nine minutes later David Dunn had embarrassed Shaka Hislop with an exquisite shot from 30 yards that caught the goalkeeper slightly off his line, and within another 60 seconds Tugay Kerimoglu’s cross was headed across goal by Grabbi for Damien Johnson to make it 3-0 from point-blank range.

Briefly, West Ham rallied. A low 20-yard drive by Michael Carrick offered a glimmer of salvation but when Sinclair squandered a fine chance to make it 3-2 four minutes into a tetchy second half they crumbled again.

Repka was dismissed just after the hour after taking Grabbi’s heels for an innocuous second booking and when the substitute Grant Mccann sliced Tugay’s cross into his own net a couple of minutes later it was damage limitation time.

Or at least it should have been. A thumping right-foot drive from Tugay narrowly beat Dunn’s effort as the game’s outstanding moment. Jansen lashed in the rebound after Hislop failed to hold Dunn’s drive and, after seeing how easy it was, the substitute Craig Hignett weighed in with the seventh from a Jansen cross. Blackburn were awesome.

“There is going to be a lot of soul-searching in the next few days,’ said Roeder. “There were players out there who can do better and players who were doing their best but can’t do any better. Our squad is at least four or five people short.

“It hurts. I hope I get more time but whether it’s me or ultimately someone else, who knows? I know that whoever ft is, they won’t have a magic wand to turn things around immediately.

“There isn’t much money to spend and if we keep defending like this we are going to be in serious trouble.”

It's funny a post for this game should be on the board as only last Saturday I dug out my tape from this game (it had been on Prem Plus) to cheer me up following Saturday's disappointing results.

What a game! Despite the obvious bias in favour of "Wet Spam" by the commentators, it was a truly glorious event. The more goals went in the funnier it was the more I laffed biggrin.gif

Cheered me up no end it did!! thumbs-up.gif

(also kudos to the Rovers tannoy people who dug out and played the tune to the magnificant seven after the final whistle. Pure class!)

Edited by MC

I could only listen to the game on the Radio. I was in digs at college and had just introduced my neighbour to the joy that is Blackburn Rovers. After every goal he'd arrive at my door with a "they've scored again?!?"

I could only listen to the game on the Radio. I was in digs at college and had just introduced my neighbour to the joy that is Blackburn Rovers. After every goal he'd arrive at my door with a "they've scored again?!?"

404084[/snapback]

RoverinBath-are you a Rovers fan from the city of Bath, or do you only use your computer whilst taking a bath? Or both?

RoverinBath-are you a Rovers fan from the city of Bath, or do you only use your computer whilst taking a bath? Or both?

404114[/snapback]

When I registered I was in Bath, training to be a teacher. Now I'm in Cornwall.

If I'd been in the bath for that long, I'd be all wrinkley!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember that. I was a little kid, and I went to watch our first team play an away match. In the bus, back to home, the radio gave the scores of the English Premier League. I was so proud! It was a sunday, I'm sure about that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.