BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers 2 Man United 0

No apologies for this being my favourite Rovers game of all time. (So far tongue.gif )

We might have won the title in 94/5 but to my mind played much the better football in the 2nd half of 93/4 as we actually overhauled a 16 point gap over ManUre only to fall away at the end.

David Batty was absolutely exceptional during that period, despite playing part of it with a broken foot, I'd never seen us play such good stuff week in week out and probably never wll again.

Before that United game I looked at our line up which (without looking it up) was I think something like Flowers Berg Hendry May Le Saux Sherwood Batty Ripley Wilcox Shearer Gallagher

I'd rarely felt such a feeling of pride about a Rovers line up, I honestly felt that there was no way I would possibly want to swap a single United player for one of ours - with the possible exception of Giggs for Wilcox which was of course no slight whatsoever on the Blackburn man.

I've never been so wound up for a game, screaming non stop abuse at the repulsive Schmeicel in an attempt to unnerve him.

The second goal where Shearer bore down on the red nosed one and nearly took him into the back of the net with his shot has to be my favourite football moment.

Outside the ground afterwards I've never known a buzz like it. Thousands of Roverites bellowing "Who the heck are Man Utd" Or similar. smile.gif

We may have actually won the League just over 12 months later but it was never better than that day.

God bless Uncle Jack. rover.gif

The players left the pitch between the BBE and Riverside then, and I will always remember Kenny leaving the pitch, looking up at the delirous fans in the BBE and punching the air in delight at putting one over the Mancs and Fergie.

Both Kenny and I really beleived we would catch them that afternoon and that feeling continued upto the QPR game where we drew.

Super super time to be a blue, and I also thank Jack for making it happen.

• 4 weeks later...

This day was probably one of the greatest I've had so far. Played football and won in the morning. Saw an absolutely fantastic game in the afternoon, and was still drinking at 5am the next morning. Great.

The buzz around the ground was fantastic. I remember no Nuttall Street stand and all the Rovers subs standing there gettig cold. I was in the BB upper right behind the goal.

Was working that day sad.gif gutted!

When i got out i legged it to my local pub to catch the last half hour. The place was banging!! thumbs-up.gif A couple of the locals are Man Ure fans & they got sooo much stick it was unbelievable....but fair plays to them, they took it & when the final whistle went they shook hands with the Rovers fans, conceded defeat & slunk out the pub to a chorus of "CHEERIO CHEERIO CHEERIO!!" laugh.gif

Needless to say, they`ve given it back more times than they`ve recieved it, but that`s what football`s all about.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Remember this game fondley, was during the only season i had a season ticket in the Riverside!

Was only young at the time, but the memory of Shearer smashing that second goal in will live with me forever, if i remember rightly was this game a 5pm KO or something similar due to Sky?

• 2 weeks later...
Remember this game fondley, was during the only season i had a season ticket in the Riverside!

Was only young at the time, but the memory of Shearer smashing that second goal in will live with me forever, if i remember rightly was this game a 5pm KO or something similar due to Sky?

I think it was a funny kick off time. Me and a mate got in the Fox early and I'd had a few too many by the time we got the ground and I struggled getting my voucher out of my season ticket book and though I might not get in! That second goal will live with me forever as Shearer bore down on goal and smashed the second - sheer heaven!!! :rolleyes:

had too many that day myself also - been on a bender night before at Peps and continued the day after

Indeed due to the building work we where in our BB End seats in the Darwen End and managed to find myself flying past Bob Fleming when Shearer scored.

Don't know if anybody can remember in the Darwen End but one of the lads who used to come on with us ( no idea where he is nowadays) was absolutely blotto'd on wacky baccy and booze and was literally crawling up one set of the steps after Shearer scored as he ran down to the front then his legs just gave way.

Not sure if this is when we played Southampton not so long afterwards as I had bought tickets for the away game and lost them inside the ground -but that could have been another match - found them later but that's another story.

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

• 3 months later...

i was some where down south with my dad, visiting his girlfriend at that time.....we listened to it on the radio...she was out i seem to recall.....taped the five live commentary onto tape and used to listen back to it at night to drift off to sleep....(i was only 13!!!).....but yeah what a memory........i just remember my dad with the biggest smile on his face i think i ever saw.....

also does anyone know where to get old match reports from?????

Edited by elwaxo

I Was only about 9 or 10 at the time but I remember when we were 2-0 up it absolutely poured down with rain, we were on row 4 of the riverside as I still am now and my Dad (r.i.p) shouted something along the lines of 'ya can pee on me now for all i care' (he used to moan about getting wet usually!!).

The day after there was a poster of Shearer scoring in one of the Sunday papers and I remember him posting it though the door of one of his mates who was a Utd fan!

Of course I remember the game it'self and the boo's when the Utd team was read out were deafening!

• 4 weeks later...
also does anyone know where to get old match reports from?????

I'll try and sort something out tomorrow. It'll probably just be text.

I'll try and sort something out tomorrow. It'll probably just be text.

text is fine..........i need reports from a few games (various classics from 90 onwards) upto oct 95......so the 2-0 would be grand......any more would be a brucy bonus........ :tu:

Enjoy......

The Observer 3rd April

Rovers turn the screw

Patrick Barclay at Ewood Park

Blackburn Rovers 2

Shearer 46 76

Manchester United 0

Att 20,866

ALAN SHEARER, the extraordinary footballer Jack Walker made sure Manchester United could not afford, may yet thwart the champions’ aspiration to retain the title. His goals cut to three points United’s advantage over Blackburn with each club having seven matches left, and Rovers, perhaps, marginally the less hazardous programme.

Though in addition United have the distraction of the FA Cup, their superior goal difference means that they must still be regarded as favourites. But they could but all have settled the issue here, and were unable to because of Shearer. He struck first a minute from the interval, and that was a ruthless enough demonstration of the craft that has brought him 45 goals in 54 league matches since arriving at Ewood Park the summer before last.

But the one that followed was some spectacle. Quite irresistible. As Ripley’s long ball from the right drifted towards the edge of the United area, Shearer manoeuvred himself in front of Pallister and waited until, upon seeing the whites of Schmeichel’s eyes, he was ready to bury an explosive left-footer beyond the helpless goalkeeper. At Ewood there was raucous jubilation. And, throughout England, a sudden fascination with the Premiership contest. It may now come down to a question of nerve; and, if anyone had taken Blackburn’s 4-1 defeat by Wimbledon last Wednesday as an indication that they had exhausted their supply of the attribute, this encounter provided a forceful retort.

They have now gained 12 points on Alex Ferguson’s side in I8 matches, and there is little respite for either before they return to action tomorrow:

United at home to a resurgent Oldham, Blackburn away to a troubled Everton. What a marvellous job Kenny Dalglish’s men have made of denying United the imperious surge to the tide which, until a few weeks ago, even a few days ago, seemed their right.

Before this match Dalglish had spoken of Rovers being the people’s favourite and wondered if United’s tendency to indiscipline, which had of late brought forward dismissals, might have something to do with it. Another factor could be human nature’s preference for the underdog, even a wealthy one; Blackburn, after all, were champions most recently in 1914.

At any rate, without Cantona, making the most of his suspension in the south of France, United received a predictably hostile welcome from the vibrant stadium. The wind bit, as did the tackles, and the start most neutrals wanted was almost delivered when a deflection took Wilcox’s ball to Newell, and Shearer enabled the overlapping Berg to cross to the near post; Pallister, with a sliding intervention, missed his own goal by a perilously narrow margin.

Batty was first to most balls within his sphere of influence and, as unpleasantness flared around him — Hughes* and Le Saux, being cautioned after one incident — remained splendidly cast in the incongruous role of angel, the former Leeds midflelder playing with a great deal more composure than anyone else. Yet Blackburn failed to make enough chances and might have been punished by Pallister, whose surprising penalty-area dribble led to a drive just off target.

The second half had hardly begun when Blackburn went for it, and got it. Neat play on the right involving Batty and Newell took the ball to Sherwood, who chipped it forward for Shearer. With a yard or two of space around the penalty spot, the England centre-forward was in his element. He steadied himself and drove across Schmeichel’s with fearsome power.

They might have gone further ahead when, as United sought immediately to retaliate, Bruce was caught upfield and Sherwood touched a pass behind the line of defenders, setting Wilcox free down the left, Into the penalty area he ran, cutting inside as his deft sidestep sent Pallister tumbling inelegantly, but the shot that followed had the strength of a pass back and the further virtue, from Schmeichel’s point of view, that it could legally be clasped to a grateful bosom.

The subsequent save was United’s best. Kanchelskis, meeting Sharp’s cross on the volley, was perhaps a little unlucky in that he hit the ball so sweetly that it found the plumb centre of Flower’s goal, where the keeper fended it away. The Ukrainian then crossed for Ince to beat Flowers with an effort that struck a post, and United were finally quelled when Shearer broke free to demonstrate to the citizens of his adopted home that Walker could have bought no more accomplished a spearhead for the club’s drive to the big time, nor one with a greater capacity for producing heroic deeds when they are most required.

*whatever happened to him?

Edited by colin

I'll never forget the hoards of Riversiders running down the stairs on to the courseway at the front to join Shearer celebrating in that corner. It was like the mosh pit at the headbangers ball and they were still going mad in the corner well after United kicked off again.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought Shearers header was just as good as the left footed shot.

Was in the Blackburn End upper tier. Bloke sat on my left didn't celebrate when we scored the first. Watched him closely for the 2nd goal still no movement, not that I cared one iota.

The mush behind us cared though. Big row after the 2nd goal, some argy bargy, mush next to me thrown out :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.