BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland 0-1 Rovers

Lets drop the Champions League theory boys and girls, IF we make it FINE but seriously, we could find ourselves seriously embarrassed in that competition.

Lets ride the wave and take the first step to Europe by taking a eufa cup slot and then making the mini league scenario.

Rovers are going to have to move forward with new signings for the next season, if we make the CL then its wholesale changes and a far superior player required costing millions which we aint got.

Arsenal will take that spot, for me Rovers to finish 5th at best 6th at worst.

if results fall for us then 4 wins and a draw may just be the perfect finish to what has become a very very good season tinykit.gif

393452[/snapback]

Fu(king Hell!!! Some Rovers fans would still be unhappy if we make Champions League!!

No wonder the gates are down with miserable sods like you around. Lets just settle for mid-table ay! Its safer that way!!

FFS! Who gives a **** if we lose all our games in the champions league if we make it. At least we would be in it and get an extra £10m which would come in handy!

You can say your being realistic, but why not just kill peoples dreams of Rovers being a great side once again, with that kind of talk! Imagine we used that post to attract some of the kids to become Rovers fans.

Edited by greggyk

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself getting really stressed thinking about 4th place from week-to-week, then I get a grip and realize that I'm just happy that we're having this discussion with 7 games to go in the season. Who would have thought? Like I've said before, I would be disappointed if we didn't get 4th, but it's only because we're so close, with everything to play for. I'd like to join the fray who are saying any European competition would be great, but I'm a greedy @#/?. I want to see Rovers playing in the San Siro next season.

Fantastic result. As above i pray that bellamy was only a tactical switch.

I fancy going round Europe on the pi$$ watching the blues at places like Milan or Barcelona

Who cares if we went into the camps league and did poorly? its at least an extra £10 - £15 million in the bank.

Also do you really think with the likes of bellamy around & being managed by Hughes that we would be embarrased against some of the teams in that competition?? I dont, thats for sure.

Just got back - it was not quite the Dick Turpin brand of highway robbery but it was not far off. Everyone was dire except 1 save by Brad, Nelsen / Lucas reasonable and the only candidate for MoM was Reidy - excellent effort all afternoon and a great goal. Thank goodness Steady still cannot score - should have had 2 by half time. Second half was nail biting stuff and a draw would not really have been fair to the Cats.

Best moments - the PC who introduced the Stadium Of Light as the home of championship football, all the crowd singing sack the board and a wonderful rendition of Shearer Wonderland.

Make no mistakes people - this was a really fortunate 3 points but I suppose that a good side plays badly and still grabs the 3 points.

Bring on the pieboys.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but in Hughes' post game interview to Radio Lancs he said that Bellamy was taken off as he 'had a tight back' (??!).

He indicated that this was nothing to be concerned about, that the medical team would sort it out and that Bellamy would be available for the next game.

Probably true, although it could also be a cover for a possible 'cooling off' substitution.

Sparky on radio said Bellamy felt his "back" tighten at half time and it became tighter in the second half. What he means by that god only knows.

However, he (Sparky) seemed to think it is something NOT to worry about and Bellers should be fit for the next game.

Good three points rover.gif

Just got back - That was by far the worst performance I've seen for a while and yet Rovers still won. Dont know whether to be sad.gif tho cos the last few games we've not been as strong as we've come to expect this season but we keep on picking up 3 points!

2 players stood out for Rovers - Reid & Friedel... Without them we should have been well beaten and watching the game it was hard to tell who had 10 points and who had 50.

I hope Hughes has seen enough of Emerton now to realise he just isn't good enough. He offered nothing to the side today, his crosses were poor and on a couple of instances where to looked to have a fast counter attack going the ball went to him and his first touch completely ruined the move. It's so frustrating because we all saw him do the business not too long ago but I think a move away would be the best thing for both Rovers and Bert.

I thought that Bellamy had taken picked up an injury. He had a burst towards the corner and a sunderland player put in quite a heavy challenge - he didnt look the same after that. Couldnt tell if it was a knock from the tackle or if he tweaked a muscle when he made the run. I guess we'll find out on Monday.

When it was Dickov & Kuqi up front it showed how much he does make a difference - We'll need at least 2 strikers to come in during the Summer. Both are at that level inbetween Prem & Championship and even though you cant fault their workrate they just dont have the quality that's needed for us to push on.

I hope and expect next Monday's performance to improve dramatically - We missed Sav today in midfield as none of our players seemed to be encouraging each other. Same with our fans-couldnt believe we werent trying to get behind the players and instead seemed more interested in baiting the Sunderland fans and singing 'sack the board'.

:s

Lets drop the Champions League theory boys and girls, IF we make it FINE but seriously, we could find ourselves seriously embarrassed in that competition.

Lets ride the wave and take the first step to Europe by taking a eufa cup slot and then making the mini league scenario.

Rovers are going to have to move forward with new signings for the next season, if we make the CL then its wholesale changes and a far superior player required costing millions which we aint got.

Arsenal will take that spot, for me Rovers to finish 5th at best 6th at worst.

if results fall for us then 4 wins and a draw may just be the perfect finish to what has become a very very good season tinykit.gif

393452[/snapback]

You must be sh*tting me?

To win the first round of the UEFA Cup and enter the mini league would represent 6 matches in europe and every league game being played on an unatmosheric Sunday in front of very little people.

For no money.

How this is a better scenario than three games at home in front of a near full and buzzing Ewood and three games away at some of europes biggest grounds, for Ten Million (!!!!!!) is beyond me.

The quality of opposition in europe is never going to be any better than Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and a full strength Arsenal.

I can't recall the last time we were embarrassed against any of these teams.

In fact, for arguments sake (all hypothetical as it's in no way possible), if we were drawn in a group consisting of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal, which incidently would be the most horrendous (quality of) group ever, our last last 2 home and away games against these teams....

Man Utd, Won 4-3, Won 2-1. 6 Points.

Liverpool, Drew 2-2, Lost 0-1. 1 Point.

Arsenal, Won 1-0, Lost 0-3. 3 Points.

This would leave us with 10 points, which would give us a damn good shout of qualification. The chances are we would be drawn in a group with at least one team, and probably two who would be of a lower quality than these three teams.

Anyway, all a long way away, a good win today. I don't think we'll get 4th spot, and although I really don't get excited by the UEFA Cup, I can accept it can only be seen as major progress for our club.

the first half we were by far the better side and should of been 2-3 goals up. IN the second half with bellamy out, we had no pace up front and the ball just kept on coming back, which means that in the summer we need another forward as good as bellamy.

This might mean that one of our better players whom we have cover for might be sold to help fund the new forward.

I'm delighted with the result, as I thought that this could have been a difficult match for us and so it turned out. Reid's goal was brilliant, a great driving run and a thumping finish. Only yesterday I was saying how he needed to add more goals to his game. It sounds like he and Friedal were the main reasons that we won today. I'm not that bothered about the performance, just the points, which keep us in the hunt for fourth spot.

In order of Reid - Nelson - Friedel - Lucas stood out to some extent today (as some have already said). Certainly one of Reids better games and I don't rate him too highly!!

Emerton has been given a chance and failed to deliver again! He's frustrating!!

You just want him to take folk on. He HAS the ability to do it but no confidence at all. Tough position this right wing lark! Bentley didn't have too much of the ball we he came on either. Mokoena I feel just ain't better than reserve material. As soon as the subs were made we were nowt as an attacking threat and tried our best to lose the game in the last 10 mins with some silly fouls and possession gifts.

Souness in, Souness in!!!! Was a humourous chant!!! Very good!

I thought we'd do enough to win, just like I think we'll do enough to win every game now. I don't know what it is about Mark Hughes, but he just instills such confidence in me. It's like he actually understands and has thought about the game. Kenny had that. I think Hodgson had a bit but didn't really understand the league, and the rest haven't had a Scooby.

I just think it's a pity that all those around us are doing well as well. Maybe West Brom can beat Spurs 6-0 to help us???

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but in Hughes' post game interview to Radio Lancs he said that Bellamy was taken off as he 'had a tight back' (??!).

He indicated that this was nothing to be concerned about, that the medical team would sort it out and that Bellamy would be available for the next game.

Probably true, although it could also be a cover for a possible 'cooling off' substitution.

393477[/snapback]

A tight back = got uptight?

laugh.gif

Hughes is a genius.

I know we are going to lose the Wigan and Pompey games so this will look like ridiculous hubris but we now top the Prem in 2006 as has been pointed out. And just as the sub heading reads four games in the NE, four wins, we could also have three games in the West Midlands, three defeats....

Worth getting a bob or two on the Premiership title for next season if we think the board might match Sparky's ambitions in the transfer market this summer?

Which were the lucky bits. The best team won - again.

393447[/snapback]

Well there were two moments when we rode our luck a little...the shout for the penalty when Lucas handled in the box would have been harsh but we've seen them given before for less this season. Also, a better, more confident striker may have punished us when they had a one-on-one against Brad. Great save by the American though as he made himself as big as he could and left little of the goal to aim for.

Overall though we were the better side, particularly in the first half. Reid was excellent and he has the pace which we lack when others play in the centre. Didn't think Emerton was quite as bad as people were saying although Dickov and Kuqi offered very little.

A good three points will do just fine. Hopefully we are saving our better performances for when we really will need them. thumbs-up.gif

Well there were two moments when we rode our luck a little...

1]the shout for the penalty when Lucas handled in the box would have been harsh but we've seen them given before for less this season.

2]Also, a better, more confident striker may have punished us when they had a one-on-one against Brad. Great save by the American though as he made himself as big as he could and left little of the goal to aim for.

3] Overall though we were the better side,

393517[/snapback]

1] well that would have been the harshest penalty ever, there's no way Lucas intended to touch that ball with his hand

2] That's not luck, that's good goalkeeping

3] Exactly. Some people suggest that Sunderland were the better side, that's way off the mark. Sunderland huffed and puffed second half and created absolutely nothing. As Hughes said, rovers were always in charge of the game. Rovers didn't play well second half, but they are, and were yesterday, a far superior team to Sunderland.

I wanted to see the Chelsea game last night because of the 'cheat' claims (which were confirmed after seeing the footage) so instead of sticking football first on I decided to give match of the day another go - how wrong could I have been:-

1. They gave everyone else a good review

2. They had longer for reviews because they were a game down with the Arsenal match being called off

3. Rovers got about a minute at the end of the programme

4. The analysis after the match wasn't about the game it was them touting Mark Hughes as the next Utd manager (dont know why anyway, it was only a couple of months ago that they said he played 'ugly' football

5. At the beginning of our game it ran a little ticker tape at the bottom with the team changes saying "Savage in for the suspended Tugay"

What a bunch of fools

Edited by Cocker

1] well that would have been the harshest penalty ever, there's no way Lucas intended to touch that ball with his hand

2] That's not luck, that's good goalkeeping

3] Exactly. Some people suggest that Sunderland were the better side, that's way off the mark. Sunderland huffed and puffed second half and created absolutely nothing. As Hughes said, rovers were always in charge of the game. Rovers didn't play well second half, but they are, and were yesterday, a far superior team to Sunderland.

393527[/snapback]

1. Of course it would have been harsh, but we have had just as harsh penalties against us before.

2. If that was a Rovers forward we'd have expected him to do better. So it was a bit of luck as well as a good stop from Brad from a weak finish but the Mackem.

3. I don't know why anyone would think we weren't the better team yesterday. Even when not at our best we have for too much for the likes of Sunderland. This Dingle was more than happy to have lost though, must be used to it from his time down at t'turd...

Ball delighted despite defeat[

Ball delighted despite defeat[

393531[/snapback]

"We've got a lot of great people at this club, a lot of fantastic supporters and I want to send them all home with a smile on their face.""

Looking at the mackems during the game, they certainly weren't smiling. Weren't they demonstrating after the game, about not being able to demonstrate against the board?

Happy indeed! When has anyone seen a happy mackem?

A great win but not a great performance it seems! The home game was on live here and that was pretty awful too.

There's definitely something about Mark Hughes though. I remember thinking that Jan's opinion of Souness was over the top.....and I did keep faith with him longer than most (feel foolish to admit it now). However, I did voice my own opinion that somewhere there must be a manager who was capable of doing a "Cloughie".............meaning someone who could create a successful side, able to challenge the best, without the need for endless megabucks!

I reckon Hughsie is as close to that as we've come for many a long while. It's remarkable that he has turned the club around from relegation battlers to European contenders. Well done young man!

393452[/snapback]

Damned if we do and damned if we dont!

1. If Rovers make the CL we will have nowhere to go playing wise. We are currently excelling ourselves whereas teams with better squads like spuds and the Arse are under achieving but well capable of stepping up a gear.

2. CL would mean lots of money but it's certain that the players agents would all be queuing up to get their snouts in the trough. Would all have to be very carefully handled with rewards based on achievements and no long term fat cat contracts handed out.

3. Next season could prove a real strain like it did with Everton and to a lesser extent Boro. The toffees were absolutely humiliated in Europe! Would we like that experience? Personally even at Christmas I would have been happy with a top half finish this season but all credit to the team and manager for getting us into a position that I did not think possible then. Strange thing is that apart from the big 3/4 I can find no discernable difference between the rest of the division. Are we really that much better than the likes of Boro / Villa / WBA? Next August we could easily be back to square 1 with the effect of European competition.

4. Fill the ground with the likes of Milan and Barca etc? No piggin chance! Not unless they bring 15000 of their own! I can hear our 'plastic supporters now .....'Go down? eh when it's live on tele'? .......'we've no effin chance they'll be taking the p1ss out of us'..........'its on int pub'..........'How much FFS?! ohmy.gif they are just tekkin the p1ss! I've a wife, 6 kids 2 ferrets a whippet and a beer and fag habit to support'........'when I'm not driving this taxi I dont go bloody Blackburn I support Man Utd mate'.

! The negativity would be soul destroying!

5. On the plus side Sparky would no doubt be allowed to bring is some new players of quality with the extra funds available, hopefully making our survival in the Prem more secure. But beware cos Everton using up their war chest

on Beatty didn't work all that well did it?

We'll all have to take whatever we get and after the past few seasons this is fantastic and Hughes ambition for himself and also the club is superb but there are many subleties and situations in store for whichever scenario we end up with.

Edited by thenodrog

Sorry Waggy, but I thought we missed Savage yesterday. And the pitch was crud, and was not condusive to our free flowing brand of football.

On the plus side, Reid was super and I quite like Sunderland town centre. Did anyone see the Inland Revenue building? It had an orginal Victorian frontage, and then amass of 60s style metal and concrete clad round the rest, what a shame. Bit like Crystal House in Preston , which replaced the fire damaged old town hall.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.