BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers 5 C Palace 4

Since high scoring games seem to be in vogue.........

I hadn't been over on the wrong side of the hills long, but long enough to find you could get the dulcet tones of Jack Holden (?) on Radio Lancs up on the hills near the airport. So you'll have gathered I wasn't at this one....... I remember hearing the half time score in the car (losing 3-1 I think) then near on full time driving around the airport area fearing the worst, to hear it was 4-4 then up popped Big Col with the winner right at the death.

Anyone amongst the 8k who were there that day (apologies to Abs for bringing up Palace and the 88/89 season)?

What a game. I think Gayle and Garner got a couple each and then Big Col got the winner in the last minute and was right on the fence at the Blackburn End. I think Jack Holden probably said something like:-

"Its all happening down here at Ewood."

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

was on the blackburn end that day what a game

I was in Blackburn End that day, right behind the goals.Well then you could move where you wanted, but Big Col came powering in, and 5-4.I remember how dispondent we all felt when first half whistle went,then 2nd half, a penalty and what a turrn around.

I wish i had that game on video lol...can you buy the old video's

I THINK Geoff Thomas was Palaces main man, he was highly rated in them days.

Great match.

The one i loved ,was last season..beating mancs 4-3, and the Bentley hat trick..your in heaven no more.

ps

I have that on dvd,the Rovers special one :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This was the match that really turned me into a rovers fan. I was about 12, my Dad always struggled to find things to do with me at the weekend (stayed with my Mum Monday - Friday). We lived in Lancaster we went to a few Morecambe and PNE games but never got hooked.

We had been to a couple of Rovers home games before (I remember Millwall 0-0 from the previous seasons). I was hardly a die hard fan but I enjoyed it more than deepdale!

This match we missed the first goal queing up outside. It was us who went 1-0 up after a few minutes. Eventually we got in behind the goal - right at the back - at the corner near the old entrance. I can't remember all the scorers but we were 1-3 down at half time. I'm surprised to read folk left at half time because I remember so clearly everyone around me saying there was more goals in the game.

At some point earlyish in the second half - as I recall - we scored 3 goals in 5 mins!! And in my head Palace equalised with maybe 10-15 minutes left.

I am fairly sure that the winning goal was nearly the last kick of the game and was a Howard Gayle penalty (not Col). One of the guys near by picked me up in the air, and ran with me to the front of the stand, just behind the goal. It took me a few minutes to find my Dad again!

• 1 year later...

This one is my top 5 all time games - sat in Nuttall Street with my Dad, remember Col lashing it in after a melee and the place going mad. Even all the old blokes around me where excited, they even stopped giving Wilcox some stick for a few minutes....

Seem to remember a few other games like it around the same time, such as 3-3 with Leicester when we scored 2 at the death

• 3 weeks later...

This one is my top 5 all time games - sat in Nuttall Street with my Dad, remember Col lashing it in after a melee and the place going mad. Even all the old blokes around me where excited, they even stopped giving Wilcox some stick for a few minutes....

Seem to remember a few other games like it around the same time, such as 3-3 with Leicester when we scored 2 at the death

Yeah i remember the 3-3 with Leicester aswel, one of my favourte ever games along with the Palace match, Mike Newell got sent off for Leicester for kicking big col in the shins, haha, Scott Sellars went on a mad run from his own half down the nuttall street side in the last minute and i think it was an own goal that got us our equaliser,

Bloody love Rovers

• 2 weeks later...

Even all the old blokes around me where excited, they even stopped giving Wilcox some stick for a few minutes....

Seem to remember a few other games like it around the same time,such as 3-3 with Leicester when we scored 2 at the death

Poor old Jason. He only made his debut 16 months later. :lol:

I've got the Leicester game on video. Shall I put it on You Tube? B)

Poor old Jason. He only made his debut 16 months later. :lol:

I've got the Leicester game on video. Shall I put it on You Tube? B)

Yes mate, get it up on youtube, i had the videos but seem to have lost loads when moving house, will always remember that game,

commentator at leicester match - "blackburn rovers who have been nion unbeatable in the second division for 6 months" - corner came in and gooooaaalllllll, 3-3

cheers bud

Jason wilcox made his debut when i was mascot for rovers 16th april 1990, my 10th birthday, dont suppose you have that video aswel mate?? been trying to find it for years with no luck, and i missed simon garners goal in the first minute when i was walking up to my seat in the nuttall street stand, i was a BBEnder but got tickets inc when i was mascot

Edited by blackburnravers.com

• 2 weeks later...

I remember this game. At 3-1 down I was ready to leave due to lack of hope of turning the result around and the pissing rain.

It was probably the pissing rain that stopped me leaving as rather than heading home and getting more wet than I already was I instead went to the back of the Blackburn End and watched the unbelieveable unfold.

Not that it did us any good long term. Palace beat us in the play-offs. Or was it George Courtney beat us in the play offs?

• 3 weeks later...

I remember gliding up Cravens Brow with my cousin Lee Walmsley after this game and hearing an older chap utter this immortal sentence "I won't even be bothered if t'wife hasn't me tea on t'table after that, what a bloody game". I can't believe how dated the footage looks, Jesus it only seems like yesterday.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

blimey...

after all these years this game is one that still sits very firmly in my memory...

Dire first half, weather i seem to recall was awful

then a blinding second half...

and Big Col scoring in front of me on the Blackburn End, and the celebrations...

awesome..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.