BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bolton 1 V Rovers 4 - 2000/01

I remember turning up for that on a wet, windy night, with a fraction of the Rovers fans that had travelled to watch us draw 1-1 with them in the cup a few days earlier. They were 9 points clear of us in the 2nd automatic promotion spot but we had 2 games in hand. Bent put us 1-0 up at the end of the first half and in the second we absolutely demolished them, scoring 3 in front of our fans. Thats one of the only times I've seen Rovers fans ejected for running onto the pitch to join in the players celebrations and the 2,000 or so of us were bouncing up and down on top of our seats to "Barmy Army" for about the last 25 minutes. The glory days under Souey biggrin.gif

Jansen didn't just run riot, he could have caused a riot the way he was playing. He toar the Notlobbers to pieces. Bent had a great game and correct me if i am wrong but didn't Mcateer have a rare good match that day. What am i giving it i mixed Mcateer up with Alan Mahon,lol. Mahon had a good game not Mcateer.

Edited by ihatethedingles

I almost didn't go after freezing my knackers off at the 1-1 FA Cup game a few days previously, but at the last minute got a ticket. Upon arriving at the ground I had a bit of a rush of blood to the head and stuck a fiver on us to win 4-0, which was only scuppered by Michael effing Ricketts.

Best bit of the game was Jansen's superb one vs one with Steve Banks. Dummied a shot, the keeper dived, then Matt calmly chipped it over him and in. Absolutely class.

Great game and a great result. We never looked back after this - Bolton realising our permanent superiority were never seroius competition for the second automatic promotion spot.

But it wasn't wet and windy. It was perfectly still and dry and about minus 10.

Matt Jansen was God.

Great game and a great result. We never looked back after this - Bolton realising our permanent superiority were never seroius competition for the second automatic promotion spot.

But it wasn't wet and windy. It was perfectly still and dry and about minus 10.

Matt Jansen was God.

393242[/snapback]

It wasn't? Oops, too many beer-killed brain cells lost between now and then. Remember being vaguely uncomfortable one way or another due to the elements until the inside walkways singing got going at half time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hignetts free kick was brilliant, and David Dunns celebratory dance.

I remember coming out of the ground after the game, walking pass the Bolton fans, getting spat at, and then being told by one of them to "get back to me sink"? I still don't have a clue what that meant....

Edited by DAZCLARKE

You reckon? We took 5,000 the saturday before for the FA Cup game where Flitcroft got sent off but for the league match I thought we only sold the lower tier, and not even all of that.

Well I was in the top tier which was nearly full.

A great night !!!! Drove down from Sunderland to get to the game and arrived with about 5 mins to kick off. Remember a few comments from the trotters, strangely I dont think they like us much

• 4 weeks later...

a birthday to remember :P

It was my birthday too! 17! Remember having a pint at half time while everyone was singing "Who Let the Bent Out" for about 10 minutes in the concourse. Seem to remember an ageing Colin Hendry playing for Bolton that day. One of Jansens very best games.

I'm sure there was double the 2000 Rovers fans mentioned by the thread starter.

The concrete at the Breezeblock was bouncing that night.

For me my overriding memory of the game was the guy behind me in tears because he had a tenner on Rovers to win 3-1 when Hignett curled in that brilliant free-kick in the final moments of the game to make it 4-1

• 9 months later...
Jansen finished off well too, one on one, keeper came out and he just kind of dinked it over him.

Didn't Jansen keep dummying the GK until he went down?

I seem to recall him swinging his left peg out a couple of times and virtually paralysing the GK!

Went straight from work in Manchester. Frigging freezing, but what an atmosphere! Bouncing! Second half we chanted non-stop!

After the game the players were congratulating each other and about to trot off when Souness grabbed 'em all and ordered tham to come down to our end to thank the fans for the support we'd given.

Went straight from work in Manchester. Frigging freezing, but what an atmosphere! Bouncing! Second half we chanted non-stop!

Me too, it was a good trip on the train until all the Notlob fans got on at Notlob central. Zipped up the coat & kept me gob shut. Kept me gob shut even more on the train back!

Yes it was "diesel-freezing" weather.

Jansen's goal was sublime - it was just like one of Glenn Hoddle's when he was in his prime as a player - the poor keeper was completely bamboozled by his body swerve.

Hignett goal was also exquisite. If you tied a netball or basket ball ring to the top corner of the goal and said "Stick in there Craig" then that is exactly what he did.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fantastic night, we went on a pub bus from Darwen. If I remember rightly was this not the game when they hardly had any grass on their pitch. We were singing S**t ground no grass. I seem to remember a lot more than 2000 away supporters. Me and my mates where at the back in the bottom tier and we did the conga with no tops on. A block of the seats next to us were covered with netting and I remember doing a Klinsman on it when the fourth went in. Outside the ground a group of notlob fans tried to charge us as we were coming out, but the police swarmed on them.

Outside the ground a group of notlob fans tried to charge us as we were coming out, but the police swarmed on them.

I'm surprised the police were bothered enough to intervene. Right from the early 70s to date Bolton has been one of the worst places to visit mainly because of the lack of interest from the police, although it's now not as bad at the Breezeblock. Some forces like the West Midlands are way over the top but Bolton's police are completely at the opposite end of the scale.

The 1-0 win for Rovers in the 70s on the Embankment was an absolute free for all - 33k on the ground with thousands of both Rovers and Bolton fans on the Embankment side by side with no segregation. Darts, bricks, bottles, fists you name it.

Knuckle draggers that lot and far worse than Burnley in my oppinion. :brfc:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.