BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

Those are the rules, deny a clear goalscoring opportunity or if you are the last man it is supposed to be a straight red. Whether or not a penalty is sufficient punishment is an entirely different matter.

Isn't that usually called 'making a tackle'?

There's nothing about intent or malice in the rules though, it's just whether it was a clear goal-scoring opportunity or not.

I totally agree with your last point by the way, I don't think players should be sent off when a penalty is also awarded...it's almost like being punished twice. I know a lot of referees don't agree with it either, but unfortunately they have to follow the rules as they are written.

Isn't it a poor offshoot of the "professional foul when clean through on goal" rule? If a player is hacked down deliberately when clean through outside the area, then the red card makes sense as a penalty cannot be given and a free kick outside the area punishes the attacking team more than the defending team. When it happens inside the area it's a totally different kettle of fish, but seems to be applied in the same way.

Agree with the points above, it needs looking at.

That's just not true though, the referees have to go by the letter of the law, and this is what it says:

"Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick"

The wrong decision was giving a penalty because it was a very good tackle, but if the referee deems it a foul then he has to send the player off. A penalty but no red wasn't an option in that situation.

That's precisely what I'm getting at. "He has to send the player off". This should not be the case. Referees should NOT have to go by the letter of the law.

Isn't that usually called 'making a tackle'?

:wstu: How old are you again?

That's precisely what I'm getting at. "He has to send the player off". This should not be the case. Referees should NOT have to go by the letter of the law.

Some rules have to be clear. Personally I have nothing wrong with this one.

Some rules have to be clear. Personally I have nothing wrong with this one.

Red for deliberate, yellow for everything else?

I find it difficult to understand why the law says someone should be sent from the field and face a ban for something they might not have done on purpose.

Edited by LeChuck

If it's not deliberate then it isn't a foul and so it isn't a free kick at all. It's the same with handball, it isn't a matter of ball to hand or anything else but is a simple matter of whether the player does it deliberately. I think far too many fouls are given when a player can't get out of the way of the ball or an opponent when in reality no offence has taken place.

Also, if cheats like Drogba go around diving and looking for penalties who can blame the ref for erring on the side of caution. It would be the easiest thing in the world to give penalties in favour of the home team so I applaud the referee the other night for being honest and fair and in most cases correct...... especially as it really annoyed Chelsea and all their mockney hangers on.

• Backroom

Probably the right decision by UEFA, not morally as pretty much anybody who knows anything about football knows it was never a red card, but for purposes of consistancy this was the most likely outcome. I expect the rules to change next season.

Guest Vinjay606

Seperate to the champions league thread but as there's threads related to other individual matches I see no reason not to post it here.

Usually I like to see a side that qualified as champions win the CL. Barcelona finished 2nd last year. However I'll be making an exception and supporting them against Man U on the 27th.

Seperate to the champions league thread but as there's threads related to other individual matches I see no reason not to post it here.

Usually I like to see a side that qualified as champions win the CL. Barcelona finished 2nd last year. However I'll be making an exception and supporting them against Man U on the 27th.

That's great. :D

Unpredictable too :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

ITV cocked up Ferguson's interview, and it's taken them half an hour to get their score bar back up :rolleyes: upholding their usual high standard of broadcasting.

Oh, no, the score bar has disappeared again. Useless.

think this game has got pique getting a 2nd yellow written all over it. Only way united are gonna level the numbers as park is the korean luis garcia( a waste of space)

schole berbatov and tevez on the bench and park gets matchtime ???????????

can itv not even afford a caption for the time in the corner of the screen? 2nd question ji sung park , why??????playing with 10 men for the sake of selling a few shirts

Park's making some vital tackles.

Delighted with the score. Come on Barca!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.